Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can a short scene within a video be lengthened?
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Another of my newbie questions. In reviewing an original source file video, there are a few segments which I wish now had been longer by keeping the camcorder on the subject a few more seconds. 1) Is it possible within PD 365 to pick one video frame and hold it (or replicate it) for a time period of ten to fifteen seconds? 2) After that the editing program would resume the reading of the source file? 3) And audio from source file would automatically return in sync with the video?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Picking one video frame and holding would be a static pic. You can either take that static pic and split and insert into video or use the freeze frame. With the scrubber at desired frame, right mouse click and then Edit Video > Freeze Frame will split the video and add the static freeze frame. If desired, you can adjust the length of it. There will be no audio for the freeze frame, you can something if desired.

Jeff
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Picking one video frame and holding would be a static pic. You can either take that static pic and split and insert into video or use the freeze frame. With the scrubber at desired frame, right mouse click and then Edit Video > Freeze Frame will split the video and add the static freeze frame. If desired, you can adjust the length of it. There will be no audio for the freeze frame, you can something if desired.

Jeff

Okay, will try freeze frame since you say its length is adjustable. Long as I can extend it to ten seconds or so will be good. Thank you, Jeff.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Just select the pic created in the timeline by freeze frame and right mouse click, Set Clip Attributes > Set Duration... to specify a fixed duration amount. Or, position the mouse on the right edge of the freeze frame pic until you see the double arrows, and drag to extend duration.

Jeff
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Just select the pic created in the timeline by freeze frame and right mouse click, Set Clip Attributes > Set Duration... to specify a fixed duration amount. Or, position the mouse on the right edge of the freeze frame pic until you see the double arrows, and drag to extend duration.

Jeff

Jeff,
I have couple more questions which do not relate to freeze frame option but do relate relate to video frames. So hope this is not a violation of community rules. If it is, please advise and I will initiate a separate query.
1. There is a vertical red line in the Timeline area which moves forward or backward as the video moves. What is the purpose of this line?
2. I have come to the start of a video segment which I want to totally delete (both video and sound). About one minute long. What must be done to identify the beginning and ending frames of the deletion?
3. After a segment of video has been deleted, does the edit program automatically put the preceding and trailing frames together?

Gene Lenz
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
1) The red line is called the timeline scrubber. It defines where you are in a particular clip or in the entire project. The timecode under the preview window follows this red line and reports the exact location of this scrubber, HH:MM:SS:FF, hours, minutes, seconds, frames.

2) Nothing really. That scrubber can only be located at frames for video. Simply move it to a location, use the split feature to cut the video there, move to new location and split again. Now one has a small video segment that you can delete.

3) Yes it does. When you use the delete on that small segment you split out, you will be presented with a few options on what you want to do with the timeline content. If you "Remove and Leave Gap", you will just have a black section in this area. In such case the last frame from the split will go to a black frame and the black frame at the end of the split area will go to the first frame at the end of the split. If you "Remove and Fill Gap", the two ends of what you split will simply play one after the other.

If it's a static picture on the timeline vs a video, the split just changes the duration of that pic, but again it is split at a frame level.

Jeff
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote 1) The red line is called the timeline scrubber. It defines where you are in a particular clip or in the entire project. The timecode under the preview window follows this red line and reports the exact location of this scrubber, HH:MM:SS:FF, hours, minutes, seconds, frames.

2) Nothing really. That scrubber can only be located at frames for video. Simply move it to a location, use the split feature to cut the video there, move to new location and split again. Now one has a small video segment that you can delete.

3) Yes it does. When you use the delete on that small segment you split out, you will be presented with a few options on what you want to do with the timeline content. If you "Remove and Leave Gap", you will just have a black section in this area. In such case the last frame from the split will go to a black frame and the black frame at the end of the split area will go to the first frame at the end of the split. If you "Remove and Fill Gap", the two ends of what you split will simply play one after the other.

If it's a static picture on the timeline vs a video, the split just changes the duration of that pic, but again it is split at a frame level.

Jeff

Thank you, Jeff. Looking for info, I always start with the tutorials. But often they dwell on features I won't be needing for my limited purposes.

Gene Lenz
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thank you, Jeff. Looking for info, I always start with the tutorials. But often they dwell on features I won't be needing for my limited purposes.

Gene Lenz

Jeff,
Stopped again. The video is in Timeline 1. Two questions relating to your answers 2 and 3 on 8/29/21 at 15:22.

Q1. Moved red scrubber line to 00:01:36:23 the first frame to be deleted. Shows in Preview.
Cllicked on "Split Timeline" symbol on left side of edit work area.
Moved red scrubber line until it reached frame 00:01:58:27. Shows in Preview.
First frame to be deleted now has vertical black line instead of red line.
Total expected deletion time about 22 seconds.
But now the "Split Timeline" symbol on left side of edit work area has been grayed out. Can't click on it.
Went to "Edit" in upper left corner of edit work area. Clicked on it.
A menu appeared. Clicked on "Edit Item". Nothing happened. Other items on the menu not relevant.
What did I miss?

Q2. Just follows Q1. Couldn't find menu with options "remove and leave gap" or "remove and fill gap". What did I miss?

Gene Lenz
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Jeff,
Stopped again. The video is in Timeline 1. Two questions relating to your answers 2 and 3 on 8/29/21 at 15:22.

Q1. Moved red scrubber line to 00:01:36:23 the first frame to be deleted. Shows in Preview.
Cllicked on "Split Timeline" symbol on left side of edit work area.
Moved red scrubber line until it reached frame 00:01:58:27. Shows in Preview.
First frame to be deleted now has vertical black line instead of red line.
Total expected deletion time about 22 seconds.
But now the "Split Timeline" symbol on left side of edit work area has been grayed out. Can't click on it.
Went to "Edit" in upper left corner of edit work area. Clicked on it.
A menu appeared. Clicked on "Edit Item". Nothing happened. Other items on the menu not relevant.
What did I miss?

Q2. Just follows Q1. Couldn't find menu with options "remove and leave gap" or "remove and fill gap". What did I miss?

Gene Lenz

See if this pic helps you.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD19_Split2.png]
 Filename
PD19_Split2.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
648 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
11 time(s)
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]

See if this pic helps you.

Jeff

Jeff,
Got past first problem. Found the two menu options. By right-clicking on the file segment to be deleted. Causes the primary menu and its sub-menu to appear on screen. Picked "delete" from primary and "remove and fill gap" from sub-menu. All went well with the editing program from there. Until.......

Second problem. When I decided to quit for the day I file saved. Which the edit program put the saved file into my Windows 10 File Explorer. Last night when I tried to access the saved file a Windows 10 error message appeared saying "This file isn't playable. That might be because the file type is unsupported, or the file extension is incorrect, or the file is corrupt. 0xc00d36c4". My input source files are all avi. Which is supported in PowerDirector.

Have you seen this problem before? If a system tech is needed, how/where do I contact them?

Gene Lenz
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Second problem. When I decided to quit for the day I file saved. Which the edit program put the saved file into my Windows 10 File Explorer. Last night when I tried to access the saved file a Windows 10 error message appeared saying "This file isn't playable. That might be because the file type is unsupported, or the file extension is incorrect, or the file is corrupt. 0xc00d36c4". My input source files are all avi. Which is supported in PowerDirector.

You'll need to be more specific. By saved, do you mean saved the PD project file which has a *.pds extension? If so, that file is only utilized by PD to define your timeline edits. Or do you mean you "Produced" your timeline to a particular video format for viewing? If so what format?

Jeff
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]

You'll need to be more specific. By saved, do you mean saved the PD project file which has a *.pds extension? If so, that file is only utilized by PD to define your timeline edits. Or do you mean you "Produced" your timeline to a particular video format for viewing? If so what format?

Jeff

The "save" happens after I click on Close in upper right of screen. The edit pgm gives me a question "do you want to save before closing?".
Yesterday I clicked on "yes" for first time and provided the system with a file name followed by ".avi". And then the PD screen is gone. No idea whether the edit pgm saved it as a ".pds" or the ".avi" which I provided. All I know is it saved it to the Windows 10 File Explorer. And now it can't be retrieved.

If PD provides a separate "file save" alternative that's the only place where other formats can be used? And you just save there and then click on Close and there's no question from the edit pgm?

Gene Lenz
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The "save" happens after I click on Close in upper right of screen. The edit pgm gives me a question "do you want to save before closing?".
Yesterday I clicked on "yes" for first time and provided the system with a file name followed by ".avi". And then the PD screen is gone. No idea whether the edit pgm saved it as a ".pds" or the ".avi" which I provided. All I know is it saved it to the Windows 10 File Explorer. And now it can't be retrieved.

So this action saves the PD project file, it's called a pds file. By simply changing the extension to .avi you don't create a video file for viewing. Think of this pds file as a recipe, it tells what ingredients are needed (source video and pics), how you blend ingredients together (splits, edits, transitions, titles...) but does not create the cake (final video). You need to bake (Produce), your video for final viewing.

pds files (created with save or save as to allow a rename) can only be opened by PD and this provides the instructions for PD to generate a video of your timeline edits.

To create a finished video of your timeline edits for viewing, you would need to use the "Produce" tab to bake that timeline into a final product of your liking. The "Produce" tab is at the top with other menu items but located on the right side.

Jeff
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]

So this action saves the PD project file, it's called a pds file. By simply changing the extension to .avi you don't create a video file for viewing. Think of this pds file as a recipe, it tells what ingredients are needed (source video and pics), how you blend ingredients together (splits, edits, transitions, titles...) but does not create the cake (final video). You need to bake (Produce), your video for final viewing.

pds files (created with save or save as to allow a rename) can only be opened by PD and this provides the instructions for PD to generate a video of your timeline edits.

To create a finished video of your timeline edits for viewing, you would need to use the "Produce" tab to bake that timeline into a final product of your liking. The "Produce" tab is at the top with other menu items but located on the right side.

Jeff

So if I understand this correctly, there is only one way to review your cumulative results each day. And that's to review all the frames while you are working in the edit program. After you quit working on it each day, there is no way to access it later that day (to let a friend see it) unless you open PD again? Which of course means you are limited to the image size in the preview section of the work area.

Gene Lenz
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote So if I understand this correctly, there is only one way to review your cumulative results each day. And that's to review all the frames while you are working in the edit program. After you quit working on it each day, there is no way to access it later that day (to let a friend see it) unless you open PD again?

Correct, you need to play back in PD to preview the in process timeline.

Quote Which of course means you are limited to the image size in the preview section of the work area.

Not exactly, you can undock the preview window and it can be full screen size for previewing if desired. See attached pic for icon to click. In the undocked preview window, a similar icon in the upper right corner of that window appears with a downward sloping arrow to reduce and dock the preview window again.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD19_undock.png]
 Filename
PD19_undock.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
806 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]

Correct, you need to play back in PD to preview the in process timeline.

Not exactly, you can undock the preview window and it can be full screen size for previewing if desired. See attached pic for icon to click. In the undocked preview window, a similar icon in the upper right corner of that window appears with a downward sloping arrow to reduce and dock the preview window again.

Jeff

Good! Thanks for the info.