Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Thanks Hicham,

Here's the dxdiag.
No. I've had several versions now, and never seen this issue. It's only happening with version 16.
Thanks for the reply, but is this a known fix in the new update, or are you simply hoping it might be addressed?

I've already gone through the business of removing the software and re-installing it, as I said. And yes, I deleted the personal settings. It didn't help.
PDVD16 Ultra keeps giving me an error saying "PowerDVD cannot play video disc due to copy protection. Try using original copy of disc."

I'm curious if others have seen this problem, and know a way to resolve it.

For reference:

I'm running PDVD 16 Ultra version 16.0.1713.60 on Windows 7 X64. The optical drive is an internal LG BH16NS40 BD-Burner. The discs in question are original retail discs -- I don't have any copied discs. And the error comes up whenever PDVD is already running when I insert a disc in the drive. This has occurred on dozens of discs, so the problem seems to be in the software, not faulty discs.

I've tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling the software, but it doesn't solve the issue.

There are no firmware updates for the drive in question.

And I know I can log an issue with tech support, but I find them a long way from helpful (sorry, but it's true), so I thought I would try here first.

I'd really appreciate any responses.
Thanks Bernd, but trust me, I've done all that. I did mention the AutoPlay in my first post.

That's why I'm puzzled. The program isn't following its own settings. Uninstalling/re-installing doesn't solve it.

One reason for posting here was to see if others are seeing a similar problem, but if they're not, then I'm wondering if it's a configuration problem. I've tried to find a clean-up utility that does a better job of an uninstallation than the half-hearted job Windows itself does, hoping that a completely fresh start might solve the problem, but there doesn't seem to be one.

Cyberlink Support has been useless on the issue.
When I play a file off my HDD, PDVD 16 goes into Folder Browser mode, but then it stays that way after the file is finished and I put a BD disc in my internal drive. No matter what I do, it displays the AACS, BDMW etc folders on the disc, and gives me no option to play the thing. Even closing and relaunching PDVD makes no difference.This has only been since I upgraded to v16; it didn't happen with PDVD 15.

I've tried uninstalling, removing the Cyberlink folders from my PC, and re-installing; I've tried it both with and without the recent update; but it's still the same. I've raised it with Cybelink Support, but as usual (sorry to have to say) their replies are utterly useless. I know this is a user-to-user forum, but since Support is no help, I'm hoping someone here has some insight into the issue.

So: how do I get PDVD 16 to switch from Folder mode and recognise the disc in a way I can then play it?

Also, inserting a disc no longer launches PDVD, even though my Autoplay settings say it should. I have to launch PDVD manually, and hit the "play" icon (when it's not in Folder mode) to have it recognise the disc. I realise this could be a problem with my system, but it's only happened since i went to version 16, and even unistalling PDVD, running an OS system repair then re-installing PDVD doesn't fix the problem.

Any insights, please?
Hi Mommy,
(oh, that sounds a bit weird! ; )
It's not just due to Blu-ray, but to Cyberlink's implementation of the standard.

If you need to do screen caps from Blu-rays, i would suggest using the VLC Media Player from videolan.org. It's free, and can play most Blu-rays -- though I suggest PowerDVD is a better solution for actually watching the film, VLC will let you take screen captures.
Does anyone know of a utility to do a complete uninstall of PowerDVD 15 from my system? Can you point me to a link, please?

The most recent one I have was written for PDVD 11, and a lot has changed since then.

On my system, I frequently get an error on launching Windows that says "PowerDVD has stopped working", even without actually launching PDVD. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but it still happens. I've spoken to CL Support, explained that was what I'd tried, and their advice was to uninstall and reinstall. Gee, thanks. I asked about a clean-uninstall utility, and they said all I needed was the Windows uninstall. Clearly, that's not the case.

I can edit the Registry, but chances are the problem is more with the various hidden files PDVD stows away in nooks and crannies of the OS -- they're what I want to remove, so I can do a completely clean reinstall.

So: anyone know of how to do that, please?
Quote: I tried that still the video starts from the beginning. Only works when I pause the video and move the left bracket to the mark upto which I have seen.

Unfortunately, the ability to resume (and also to set bookmarks) is coded in the disc itself. If the ability isn't switched on in the disc coding, then PDVD won't be able to make it happen, no matter what setting you have in the software. I don't know why some discs choose not to let you resume at the last point of play, but unfortunately it's out of Cyberlink's hands.
Quote: Has anyone got this to play yet? Same situation here, would love a confirmation that this has played sucessfully on Power DVD?

G'day Tone and others,

Yeah, it plays fine for me from the Australian Blu-ray.

Details: PDVD 15.0.72718.58 running on Windows 7 x64, 8 GB RAM. GPU is NVidia GeForce GT 740-OC with 2GB of RAM on-board, optical drive is LG BH16NS40 Blu-ray writer.

You don't say what errors you're getting. I'm wondering if it's similar to the problem I was having that led me to replacing my BD drive: recent BDs would either not play, and give me an error saying that HDCP couldn't be initialised, or else they'd play but stutter and the image would pixellate frequently throughout the film. And I was getting the message in PDVD that AACS needed to be updated, but no matter how many times I said Okay and let PDVD do its thing, the message would sporadically come back.

The AACS schema was given a significant upgrade, either at the start of this year or the end of the last, and I think that's the core of the problem. The BD player I had then (an LG BH10LS30) had gone EOL and had no recent or future firmware upgrades, so that wasn't a potential fix. But I do have a software utility called DVDFab, which I use to block the region coding of a disc so I can play BDs from outside Region B. I realised that when I ran that (which also eliminates the AACS coding) before launching the discs, the discs played fine, whereas if I simply changed the region within PDVD, they didn't. So that utility was a solution for me, and I think it confirms that the problem is in the copy protection.

But that means the solution is out of Cyberlink's hands. With Blu-ray, the copy protection is encoded in the disc and read in the drive itself; unlike DVDs, it's not in the software that plays the disc.

In the end, figuring the problem would likely only get worse with the next tightening of the copy protection screw, I upgraded my Blu-ray drive to one that had the new AACS schema and ongoing firmware updates. (For a while, at least.) With the new drive, even without DVDFab running, the disc plays without a problem.

tl;dr: It seems to be a copy protection issue. As ever, the schemes to stop pirates usually inconvenience legit purchasers a whole lot more.
It's an ongoing problem with Cyberlink Support, sad to say, that they're generally not at all proactive in their replies.

I've given up even trying to get help from them, after a protracted issue where they would just seize some simple-to-respond-to sentence out of my post, and reply to that -- with no apparent awareness that they weren't even answering the main issue. I'd reply immediately, but then I've have to wait another week for the next inadequate response. I even took to splitting my posts into "BACKGROUND INFORMATION" and "THE PROBLEM", but I'd still get inconsequential and incomplete answers.

I suspect it's a language comprehension issue with the people they employ.
I hear what you're saying, Billy, but I'm a wee bit cautious myself about going there. I'm not saying you're wrong, of course; my thoughts are just my own opinion. I understand Cyberlink branching out into other multimedia formats; I guess there comes a time when a feature set is largely mature, and if the developers aren't careful the core functions get bogged down under the weight of bolt-ons that increasingly fewer people will want to use or pay for. (I would personally say Nero is an example of that.)

I think others have pointed out that at least one reason Cyberlink hasn't leapt to support 4K UHD is that there aren't any consumer-level drives yet that support the format. I'm betting we won't see that format in PDVD until the drives are readily accessible.

I guess at some point down the line I'll have to upgrade my version, if only to keep my eligibility for further upgrades viable. (Yes, that gets up my nose.) But for now, I'm satisfied there's nothing in v.16 that I deem worth paying for.
Again, I'm certainly not trying to diminish the release, but merely to decide whether what it offers is worth my paying for.

Things like speed-up in streaming speed or support for SACD audio are irrelevant to me --- to me, for my needs, they're fairly small potatoes, and really shouldn't be considered major features for an upgrade. And bug fixes and OS incompatibilities should be part of service patches, not paid-for upgrades. Asking people to pay for bug fixes is something that always makes me frown -- it's a bad practice, to my mind.

nullack, I've seen your posts on the clhelper.sys component, but I don't understand. What's the problem that it causes?

Okay, so I guess I can save my money on this one, and wait for the next roll-out. Good to know, and thanks again.
Thanks for the reply. ;

Faster in what respect, Stewart? Speed hasn't been an issue for me in any aspect of PDVD15.

Myself, I've never even looked at Cinema mode. As I said, I don't use it to stream to other devices or as a media centre.

I notice the advertising tends to promote the expanded multimedia features. Fair enough -- I wasn't suggesting there's nothing new in it at all, just asking whether there's anything worth upgrading for if I'm not needing a media centre replacement for Windows 10 or wanting it to manage my image and audio libraries.
Genuine question:

I already have PDVD15 Ultra, and don't use PDVD either as a media centre for graphics and audio, nor as a media streamer to other devices.

It seems to me there's not much in this new version to necessitate my upgrading, or am i wrong?

Or is there something I've missed?
I've begun to wonder if there's actually nobody on customer support full-time, simply because it takes *so long* to get a reply that clearly no time has been spent on. My experience is that they invariably take days to reply, and then the reply is frustratingly superficial -- it's often clear they haven't even read the information the online form makes required, and so haven't answered the question. Which requires a reply (or three) to try to get them focussed on the actual issue, and then you start the waiting cycle again.

I've given up on them as useless. Perhaps the worst "technical" support of any software I own. You get more help, and certainly more *timely* help, from a careful search on the internet. (Hint: Don't believe anything you read on Yahoo Answers, for instance.)
Hi Hicham,
Okay, I'm confused by that.

Was your latest message intended for me? If so, I don't understand it. I haven't said anything about the AACS key being expired; the software was asking me to apply an AACS update, which I didn't do at the time, and now it doesn't come up again, even with the same Blu-ray disc.

Have wires gotten crossed somewhere?
Hicham,
Thnks for the further reply, but you apparently didn't read where I said the update *doesn't* come up. It's come up just once since July, and even putting that same disc back in (after rebooting my PC and restarting PowerDVD) doesn't bring up the update.

The disc in question is the recent UK release on Blu-ray of the Special Edition version of Kingdom of Heaven. Another example is the UK release of Interstellar. Both are Region B, which is what my PowerDVD is set to.

Branais

(Edited to add requested "About" window.)
No rtesponse? That's disappointing.

I've been trying to get this info out of the useless, useless Cyberlink Customer Service, but as usual, they don't even answer specific questions. CCS says it comes up any time you run the app, but that's baloney. It's only appeared once since the update was allegedly released in July, and even manually checking for updates from within the application doesn't bring up the AACS update.

OK. SO does ANYONE know how to manually call up this AACS update so I can apply it?
Hi Hicham,
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I understand updates are necessary, but the scammers know that as well.

So, you're saying this is genuine? That was one thing I needed to know.

Oddly, the update link in the application *doesn't* show the AACS update. Nor did it show the July upgrade to version 6623, of which I had received no notification previously and that I only found through going manually to the Product Updates page on the website.

Are there problems? Why was this update not being shown to me?

So, if you *are* saying the AACS update is genuine, how do I get it back? I can't find any mention of it nor link to it on the website nor in the application -- where do I access it?

Thanks.
I just tried to launch PowerDVD to play a Blu-ray disc, and received a message I haven't seen before, telling me that "AACS components" need to be updated. I've attached a screen capture.

Can anyone tell me please if this is real? Should I allow it to proceed?

I don't want to sound paranoid, but I'm wary because it's not Cyberlink-branded, and appears to be only evoked through the normal Windows dialog engine, which could mean it's an interloper. I haven't seen this before with PowerDVD.

Any advice/observations would be welcome.
Go to: