Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Force Awakens Blu-Ray (movie or bonus) do not work
mrvander18 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 06, 2016 21:37 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Color me disappointed. $70 on a software solution that won't work with brand new discs. Should I have spent the money on a dedicated hardware player? I can't be the only one who has this software and Star Wars. What's the deal?

On a side note (you can skip this, it's a rant)... it's absolutely amazing the hoops one has to jump through just to begin any level of support. I bought the software a few months ago, so I'm sure a refund is out of the question. Being that long ago, I had no idea what my password is and you need to one to login to support. There's no phone number to call unless you are having problems giving them your money. The password reset page never sends the email (no spam filters and no spam email, I checked - it never comes). Using the "Didn't get the email" link brings you to a page to fill out a form for the webmaster which promptly errors when you hit submit and tells you to contact support. (that's what I'm trying to do you f'ers!) Finally, I just registered with a different email address than I purchased with just so I could get into the support site. I'm an optimist, so I'm hoping I'm going to get some level of support here, but I'm holding my breath in wonderful anticipation. Will this review/experience be going on social media sites? You bet! So let's see if we can make it right from here...

TL;DR: Every other BD I've played works. New Star Wars Force Awakens does not. Have the latest update (non-beta). What's the fix?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 06. 2016 21:52

Hicham_B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jun 09, 2015 04:02 Messages: 1347 Offline
[Post New]
Hi mrvander18,

It's uncomprehensive to not get an answer from the support. It may of course take same time to do some tests in order to prepare the answer.

I would suggest you to test the beta patch (v2617)
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/47513.page

Besides of that, can you provide me your name and support number in a private message.

Kind regards
Hicham

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 11. 2016 02:58

Technical support:
EN: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
DE: https://de.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
FR: https://fr.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
ES: https://es.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
[Post New]
mrvander18 out of curiosity did the beta patch work or did you get it working at all?

I am planning on buying it in a few days after it is released here (13th I think) and if it doesn't work then I wont waste my money might just wait a month and get it off ebay for cheap.

Cheers mate, let me know.
Antonio [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 09, 2016 17:59 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Even with the patch installed does not work
Hicham_B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jun 09, 2015 04:02 Messages: 1347 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Antonio,

Please contact the technical support
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp

Cheers
Hicham Technical support:
EN: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
DE: https://de.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
FR: https://fr.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
ES: https://es.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
rburggraf [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Oregon Joined: Apr 11, 2016 13:29 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I too tried to run the Blu-Ray version with PowerDVD 15 Ultra and it got the the load up screen with BB8 and locked up (Message "PowereDVD 15 is not responding". So I hooked up my Sony Blu-Ray player (Hardware) and it worked fine. My guess is it is a new copy protection from Disney that wont let it play except on a dedicated hardware Bly-Ray player. All my other movies so far have played on the PowereDVD 15.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Looking for a common denominator - what CD/DVD/Blu ray drive are you using?

Have you looked to see if there is a firmware upgrade for it? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Roo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 20, 2016 19:38 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Right-click Cyberlink icon.

Run As Administrator.
Tone2303 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Australia Joined: May 16, 2016 07:49 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Has anyone got this to play yet? Same situation here, would love a confirmation that this has played sucessfully on Power DVD? Are we there yet?
Roo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tone2303, try what I posted above. You only need to do it once, not every time you run it. It fixed it for me so it looks like the first time you run Star Wars The Force Awakens you need to run as administrator so it can set up some stuff either in the registry or cache folders.
Tone2303 [Avatar]
[Post New]
A simple man like myself took that to be right click on PDVD, are you saying to do this on the drive icon in My Computer?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 16. 2016 08:11

Are we there yet?
Roo [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have a PowerDVD shortcut on my desktop. I just right-clicked it, chose "Run as Administrator" and then when the application had loaded, clicked the play icon within PowerDVD itself. Star Wars The Force Awakens would then play normally after that. I only had to run as administrator once. Since then it always works.

It might not fix it for you if you're having a different problem but its worth a try
Tone2303 [Avatar]
[Post New]
That made me sound very simple indeed. when i tried it (which was before i posted) i tried it with the "extras" disc, now i have lost control of the TV! will check within the main disc when i get a chance. it actually sounds like the disc isn't spinning up. Are we there yet?
Tone2303 [Avatar]
[Post New]
So the better half went to sleep on the lounge and i got to test the method with no success. I also downloaded the trial version of PDVD16 and this would not open the disk either.

Has anyone who uses an older internal drive experienced this?
I am using a Samsung ST-B083A which i purchased early 2010.

Any ideas? Are we there yet?
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Once again, do other blu ray discs play?

Did you check the disc in a blu ray player at a friend's house or at a big box store? Did you look at the disc to make sure there are no scratches or other gunk on the discs?

Is that player one that has one or two ports? You need to use both to play blu ray. Are you trying to use a non-powered USB adapter or the ones on the front of your computer? Both are under-powered. (I own the same plyer you do.)

You may want to return the discs on the basis that they are not playable. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
ben01 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 23, 2014 19:19 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
This needs attention. Here's another person with the same issue.
stevek
[Post New]
Quote: This needs attention. Here's another person with the same issue.

No details ? So you have the exact same symptom with the exact same computer and blu ray player? Same version of Power DVD and it has been updated?

Do you have a store bought copy of the program and not a copy or cloned version? Does the digital copy that comes with the blu ray disc work?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 20. 2016 15:40

ben01 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 23, 2014 19:19 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
No my equipment is different. And I go all the way back to PowerDVD 5 in my retail purchases, thank you. However I did find responses elsewhere that point to the disc -- and it looks like some software players may need an update:

tomshardware.com's forum:powerdvd-wont-start.html

To wit, one poster says

"That error is from the Star Wars disc having the latest security algorithm on it"

That may be the case here.
[Post New]
Quote: Has anyone got this to play yet? Same situation here, would love a confirmation that this has played sucessfully on Power DVD?

G'day Tone and others,

Yeah, it plays fine for me from the Australian Blu-ray.

Details: PDVD 15.0.72718.58 running on Windows 7 x64, 8 GB RAM. GPU is NVidia GeForce GT 740-OC with 2GB of RAM on-board, optical drive is LG BH16NS40 Blu-ray writer.

You don't say what errors you're getting. I'm wondering if it's similar to the problem I was having that led me to replacing my BD drive: recent BDs would either not play, and give me an error saying that HDCP couldn't be initialised, or else they'd play but stutter and the image would pixellate frequently throughout the film. And I was getting the message in PDVD that AACS needed to be updated, but no matter how many times I said Okay and let PDVD do its thing, the message would sporadically come back.

The AACS schema was given a significant upgrade, either at the start of this year or the end of the last, and I think that's the core of the problem. The BD player I had then (an LG BH10LS30) had gone EOL and had no recent or future firmware upgrades, so that wasn't a potential fix. But I do have a software utility called DVDFab, which I use to block the region coding of a disc so I can play BDs from outside Region B. I realised that when I ran that (which also eliminates the AACS coding) before launching the discs, the discs played fine, whereas if I simply changed the region within PDVD, they didn't. So that utility was a solution for me, and I think it confirms that the problem is in the copy protection.

But that means the solution is out of Cyberlink's hands. With Blu-ray, the copy protection is encoded in the disc and read in the drive itself; unlike DVDs, it's not in the software that plays the disc.

In the end, figuring the problem would likely only get worse with the next tightening of the copy protection screw, I upgraded my Blu-ray drive to one that had the new AACS schema and ongoing firmware updates. (For a while, at least.) With the new drive, even without DVDFab running, the disc plays without a problem.

tl;dr: It seems to be a copy protection issue. As ever, the schemes to stop pirates usually inconvenience legit purchasers a whole lot more.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 25. 2016 00:31