Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Appeal of new features?
[Post New]
Genuine question:

I already have PDVD15 Ultra, and don't use PDVD either as a media centre for graphics and audio, nor as a media streamer to other devices.

It seems to me there's not much in this new version to necessitate my upgrading, or am i wrong?

Or is there something I've missed?
stewart_pk [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 10, 2014 06:36 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
For me it was worth it because:

1) It's faster.
2) The new TV mode in 16 is a great improvement on the Cinema mode in 15.
3) Audio delay set in Classic mode seems to take effect in TV mode. I wonder if any other and possibly all the settings you can set in Classic mode that aren't available in TV mode actually take effect in TV mode.
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply. ;

Faster in what respect, Stewart? Speed hasn't been an issue for me in any aspect of PDVD15.

Myself, I've never even looked at Cinema mode. As I said, I don't use it to stream to other devices or as a media centre.

I notice the advertising tends to promote the expanded multimedia features. Fair enough -- I wasn't suggesting there's nothing new in it at all, just asking whether there's anything worth upgrading for if I'm not needing a media centre replacement for Windows 10 or wanting it to manage my image and audio libraries.
stewart_pk [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 10, 2014 06:36 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
Pretty much everything seems faster but most noticeable for me is:

Loading discs
Scanning library
nullack [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 29, 2010 04:09 Messages: 139 Offline
[Post New]
For me personally:

1. Faster. No longer do I wait with a small square box at the beginning of video playback for example
2. DSD audio support is welcome
3. Multi chan FLAC support is welcome
4. The fact they finally fixed the clhelper.sys device driver from failing microsoft WHQL tests and they are actually windows platform passable using MS tests is outstanding. Many of you did not understand the ramifications of this problem when I was talking about in prior versions.
5. Better 4K display support
6. Access to the latest code base for fixes from bugs

Only you can decide if it's worth it for you or not, I know PowerDVD 16 has problems and I want to see them fixed but IMHO as a technical user it is the best version so far from Cyberlink
[Post New]
Again, I'm certainly not trying to diminish the release, but merely to decide whether what it offers is worth my paying for.

Things like speed-up in streaming speed or support for SACD audio are irrelevant to me --- to me, for my needs, they're fairly small potatoes, and really shouldn't be considered major features for an upgrade. And bug fixes and OS incompatibilities should be part of service patches, not paid-for upgrades. Asking people to pay for bug fixes is something that always makes me frown -- it's a bad practice, to my mind.

nullack, I've seen your posts on the clhelper.sys component, but I don't understand. What's the problem that it causes?

Okay, so I guess I can save my money on this one, and wait for the next roll-out. Good to know, and thanks again.
Billy7 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 27, 2014 17:49 Messages: 93 Offline
[Post New]
I agree.
Cyberlink are neglecting the fundamental functions of the program to cater for fads and gimmicks like apps and streaming.
Supporting 4K bluray and it's sound formats (atmos/DTSX) should be priority one. Then they can add all the bells and whistles.
Cyberlinks priorities are the wrong way round.
I won't be buying it, that's for sure.

Haswell 4770k watercooled @4.6 ghz. 16GB RAM,
Nvidia 980TI GTX, Marantz AV7702mk2, Apogee Duet, 3x Adam A77X, 4x Mackie MR5's, 4X Mackie CR4
Panasonic PT-AT6000e projector, 120" fixed projector screen, Panasonic ST30 50" TV.
[Post New]
I hear what you're saying, Billy, but I'm a wee bit cautious myself about going there. I'm not saying you're wrong, of course; my thoughts are just my own opinion. I understand Cyberlink branching out into other multimedia formats; I guess there comes a time when a feature set is largely mature, and if the developers aren't careful the core functions get bogged down under the weight of bolt-ons that increasingly fewer people will want to use or pay for. (I would personally say Nero is an example of that.)

I think others have pointed out that at least one reason Cyberlink hasn't leapt to support 4K UHD is that there aren't any consumer-level drives yet that support the format. I'm betting we won't see that format in PDVD until the drives are readily accessible.

I guess at some point down the line I'll have to upgrade my version, if only to keep my eligibility for further upgrades viable. (Yes, that gets up my nose.) But for now, I'm satisfied there's nothing in v.16 that I deem worth paying for.
My1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 19, 2016 05:15 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
in my opinoin they should keep it for DVDs and BDs and make it cheaper. there's MORE THAN ENOUGH software for all the other formats.
[Post New]
I agree, My1. In fact, I gave in and bought PDVD 16 after all -- primarily as a bug fix. (And it makes me grind my teeth having to pay for bug fixes! But they stopped fixing issues with PDVD 15, so I had little choice. Not impressive.)

First thing I did on installing it was to disable all the other multimedia features. Not only is there other software, as you say, but they offer actual functionality with those formats beyond just displaying them.