Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote What version of PowerDVD 19 are you running? My guess would be that you have not updated to 19.12.

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdvd-ultra/patches_en_US.html

Dave

I just downloaded and installed that update to see if it would fix another problem i'm having, but looks like i already had the update.

After installing the option, the option for the dolby virtual speaker is still there?
Quote What version of PowerDVD 19 are you running? My guess would be that you have not updated to 19.12.

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdvd-ultra/patches_en_US.html

Dave

Looks like i don't have that update. Guess it's best not to ugrade then as otherwise i will lose that feature.

Why is this being removed?
Hi, according to this page: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=24363 Dolby Virtual Speaker isn't supported in PDVD 19, but i still see the option for it and enabling it does alter the sound so i'm assuming it's working.

Just a bit confused by that help page, as it says DVS isn't supported but it's still in PDVD?

Why isn't it supported anymore as i prefer it to trutheather?
Hi, i've noticed high cpu usage (-20%) in take manager when powerdvd is open and doing nothing.

Is anyone else noticing this?

Judder is often caused by audio, so check your output settings.

Dave

Do you mean the audio settings in PDVD or in Windows?

There aren't really any audio settings to change in PDVD except for speaker configuration and exclusive mode or am i missing something?
Ok, I know this post is 7+ years old, but unfortunately nothing has been done about this issue by Cyberlink to date.

I first purchased PDVD at version 17. Found it stuttered.

Tried version 18. Found it stuttered.

Tried version 19. Found it stuttered.

Problem occurs with MKV files. Yes, Reclock does help to solve this issue, but it doesn't support V18 (later versions) or V19.

So basically the stuttering remains and there appears to be no fix.

For a media player that is so well featured and focused on playing videos, to have stuttering video like this is just crazy.

I've got an i7 7700k with 1660ti gpu 32gb ram and i still can't play videos without powerdvd stuttering!

Every other player i've tried works just fine except for powerdvd.

It really annoys me because i love the truetheater enchancements and would happily be a loyal lifetime customer if this issue was finally fixed. But if it hasn't been fixed in 7 years, i doubt it ever will.
Can anyone please confirm whether the video stuttering that was present with the last few releases of PowerDVD, when using TrueTheater, still exists or not?

Do videos still stutter with TrueTheater? Thanks
Quote Yes, It's true - when I change desktop framerate manually according to video framerate, ReClock ligts green and stuttering disapears. BUT!!! I must do it every time - really? Everytime I must recognize what framerate has this video, then open video driver settings and find needed item. Are you serious? This soft cost over 200$. What's wrong with you? And when I play 23,97fps video, what desktop framerate should I choose - 23 or 24 fps? Really, guys, there are many free software offering much more features - plex, emby, kodi and other...

What I find incredible is that PowerDVD is advertized as being the "world's no.1 media player" yet it seems unable to playback simple mkv files that the free player mpc-be can do with ease. Crazy that this is even an issue.

I also don't understand how, when this problem clearly exists, support can say that they are unable to replicate the issue. This is despite reports of this problem going back several versions.

Cyberlink really need to start paying more attention to their forums and their customer's feedback.
Quote No, I tried ReClock too - it is useless. Every time I tried to playback MP4 or MKV videos, ReClock issued message
"Cannot sync this CINEMA video to your hardware. Please set your monitor refresh rate near to a multiple of..." and showed yellow in tray while during DVD or Blu-Ray playback it showed green...

Did you try the beta version from reclock? it now supports powerdvd 17

I tried the beta version of reclock but video still stutters occassionally. Not as bad as it used to, but stuttering is still there. I don't always get green light with reclock, maybe that's why?

What i did was changing my screen to 23 frames in nvidia control settings. After that reclock was always green and the stutter was gone when i played movies in power dvd 17.

Which setting did you use? I only see only to change refresh rate?
Quote No, I tried ReClock too - it is useless. Every time I tried to playback MP4 or MKV videos, ReClock issued message
"Cannot sync this CINEMA video to your hardware. Please set your monitor refresh rate near to a multiple of..." and showed yellow in tray while during DVD or Blu-Ray playback it showed green...

Did you try the beta version from reclock? it now supports powerdvd 17

I tried the beta version of reclock but video still stutters occassionally. Not as bad as it used to, but stuttering is still there. I don't always get green light with reclock, maybe that's why?
Quote Hi,

I am also having this problem. I upgraded from powerdvd 15 to 17 a couple of hours ago because 15 kept giving me endless messages about AACS needing updating and refusing to play anything any more.

With v15 I never had any stuttering. With 17 all blu-ray discs have jerky playback. Nothing has changed on my PC other than the version of powerdvd.

What's going on? Can I get a refund?

Yes you can get a refund within 30 days of purchase, which is exactly what i did due to the stuttering issue. You have to contact Cleverbridge directly. The information is on the receipt you got emailed when you purchased PowerDVD. Just go to the Cleverbridge website and fill in the details. It's very easy and i got my refund very quickly.

Note: The information for getting a refund on the Cyberlink website is incorrect. When i contacted the people, it said to contact, they said i had contacted the wrong people! Also, when i emailed Cyberlink directly for the refund request, they took over a week to respond!
Quote I can play my H.264 even H.265 MKV videos normally using Intel GPU on powerdvd 17.
(including both 1080p and 4K video)

No stuttering.

You have reinstalled Windows completely but still have this issue?
Do you install any other video/audio tools simultaneously?
Does the issue still happen if your Windows is completely fresh one that only installed hardware drivers?
If not, try to sort out if there are any other software has unknown conflict.

Except the above suggestion, I saw that you gathered several online discussion that some other users had similar symptom.
It's for sure that they have different hardware and software combinations from yours, and some of them were not playing video file but BD disc.

I can understand you are quite upset that your powerdvd 17 has the issue on your pc.
But, it's a way trying to "promote" your issue as it is a very critical and ubiquitous one and cyberlink doesn't care about it. Does cyberlink not assist you after you contacted them?
It might fuzz your initial request (resolve the stuttering playback) as it's not all other users' problem.

Happy new year, and wish you can find the exact factor that cause the problem soon.

Hi there, I'm still working on this issue with support. But from looking online it seems others are having this issue also. I have done a clean install (format), but also have other programs which i loaded at the time so perhaps something is causing a conflict.

The only other audio/video tools i have are mpc-be, voicemeter, OBS, WinTV, Xonar DX, and Flashback pro screen recorder. I'm also using TrayPlayer so i can play music from my taskbar. Guess i will try uninstalling those and see if that helps. thanks for the suggestion.
My issue is occasional stuttering during playback of MKV files (H.264). This happens with all video files, and the same videos do not stutter with media player classic. I have truetheather enhancements for lighting and color enabled. The rest are disabled. When pausing a video, or skipping ahead, stuttering becomes noticeably worse especially when hardward acceleration is enabled.
People who have reported stuttering issues with PowerDVD
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/44320.page
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/48615.page
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/52010.page
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20/44320.page
https://membership.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/64197.page
https://steamcommunity.com/app/450710/discussions/0/352792037321651728/
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/2819473-dropped-frames-stutter-powerdvd-mkv-files-only.html
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/526267-power-dvd-15-ultra-stutterlag-with-video-enhancements/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/338600/discussions/0/371918937279973816/
Things I have tried to fix the problem without success:

• Contacted support

• Use latest version of PowerDVD 17 with latest updates

• Uninstalling and reinstalling PowerDVD 17

• Do a clean install of Windows 10 and reinstall PowerDVD 17

• Updated video and sound drivers to latest versions

• Disabled Avast Internet Security

• Disabled hardware acceleration in PowerDVD 17

• Upgraded CPU from i5 7600 to i7 7700k

• Uninstalled MPC-BE

The stuttering issue seems to have been around awhile now, and it's not acceptable that such a problem should exist in software specifically designed to play videos. Especially when a free player, such as MPC, plays back the same videos without issue.
I am a first time user of PowerDVD and really like both the sound quality (Dolby Virtual Speaker) and the image quality (Truetheather), but stuttering video completely ruins the whole viewing experience.
This is obviously a bug/flaw within the PowerDVD software and you will most likely only notice it when watching a movie or tv episode, rather than just viewing a video clip for a few minutes.
Please take this issue seriously, identify the cause, and issue a fix. Please don't ask me to update my drivers again, reinstall the software again, or post another dxdiag.
Thank you.
p.s. While i'm here some other issues that should be addressed.- Allow a video with hardcoded black borders to be stretched fullscreen. MPC can do this, so there's really no reason why PowerDVD should also be able to.- Fix the issue of audio crackling when playing an mkv with 7.1 audio and dolby virtual speaker is enabled.
Purchased PowerDVD 17 a couple of days ago and I'm also noticing suttering with videos. Never had such issues with MPC-HC or MPC-BE.
Quote Hi MrMazda,

Have you contacted the technical support yet?

Greetings,
Hicham

This also happens with me. I purchased PowerDVD 17 and when watching mkv videos on Windows 10 video stutters occasionally. Searching Google on this issue and it seems to be quite a common complaint.
I don't really care about technical details regarding aspect ratios. If i wanted to see something the way it was orginally intended i would go to the theatre. But im not in the theatre i'm at home, and at home i like my videos to fill the entire screen.

If the "pan&scan->scale to 16:9 tv" feature i use with mpc resulted in any loss of image as you keep suggesting, i would not use it (and i have checked). I don't want any loss of image as occurs with the zoom feature in PowerDvd, which is why i use mpc to watch my videos and not PowerDvd as i don't lose any image and get full screen!

I don't know why you are talking about improving 4:3 content? As that's not what i'm talking about. I'm talking about regular widescreen video with hardcoded black borders. Powerdvd can stretch the image when the borders are not hardcoded, but it can't stretch when they are hardcoded. So the functionality is already there, it is just incompletely implemented.

I already emailed support asking about this feature and they gave me a stock reply requesting my system specs (waste of time that was). And if nobody from Cyberlink looks at and replies in these forums, then obviously they don't really care about what their customers want.

So i'm not going to "hassle" or try to "convince" Cyberlink to implement these features, i'm just not going to buy their software because my free media player offers me better functionality.
I think you should be able to personalize and customize a media player to your liking. Especially if you are paying for it. And especially if it's meant to be one of the best available.

Truetheater enhancements are not used for HD videos, and PowerDvd even provides a recommendation to disable enhancements when it detects HD content. But even then i am unable to stretch videos fullscreen when black borders are hardcoded. I am aware of the ability to change aspect ratio, but again, this does not remove hardcoded black borders.

As you mentioned, mpc-hc can do this quite easily via pan&scan->scale to 16:9 tv setting. And it does NOT result in any cropping, loss of image or distortion. It simply stretches the video to fill the entire screen. I prefer using my entire monitor to display video rather than only a part of it, as i find videos to be more immersive and enjoyable this way. I have always watched videos like this and it looks fine to me. What looks wrong to me is when i have a smaller image with black borders. Have you tried this with mpc?

So pan&scan is not a useless feature, as you do not distort the image or loose parts of the image. All it does is let you use all of your monitor space. Would it really be so hard to implement this feature in PowerDvd for people who prefer to view their videos without borders? And if it was such a useless/bad feature, why have other media players offered this functionality for years?
Here is a clip i am unable to stretch fullscreen, right click to download

http://www.demo-world.eu/download-2d-trailers/?file=distributor_20th_century_fox-DWEU.mkv&pic=distributor_20th_century_fox.jpg
I am trying to stretch a letterboxed image with hardcoded black borders to fullscreen, but seem unable to do this in PowerDvd. There is a zoom function, but this results in clipping the image. Only videos with non-hardcoded black borders can be stretched.

I wonder if i am missing something obvious here, as my free media player has been able to do this for some time. I select pan&scan->scale to 16:9 TV and the image is stretched fullscreen without clipping the image, and regardless of whether the borders are hardcoded or not.

Could it be that PowerDvd is lacking this basic feature? And if so, why hasn't this been implemented after 15 versions when my free media player can do it?
Go to: