Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 17 Video Stuttering - Does Cyberlink Care?
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
My issue is occasional stuttering during playback of MKV files (H.264). This happens with all video files, and the same videos do not stutter with media player classic. I have truetheather enhancements for lighting and color enabled. The rest are disabled. When pausing a video, or skipping ahead, stuttering becomes noticeably worse especially when hardward acceleration is enabled.
People who have reported stuttering issues with PowerDVD
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/44320.page
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/48615.page
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/52010.page
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20/44320.page
https://membership.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/64197.page
https://steamcommunity.com/app/450710/discussions/0/352792037321651728/
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/2819473-dropped-frames-stutter-powerdvd-mkv-files-only.html
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/526267-power-dvd-15-ultra-stutterlag-with-video-enhancements/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/338600/discussions/0/371918937279973816/
Things I have tried to fix the problem without success:

• Contacted support

• Use latest version of PowerDVD 17 with latest updates

• Uninstalling and reinstalling PowerDVD 17

• Do a clean install of Windows 10 and reinstall PowerDVD 17

• Updated video and sound drivers to latest versions

• Disabled Avast Internet Security

• Disabled hardware acceleration in PowerDVD 17

• Upgraded CPU from i5 7600 to i7 7700k

• Uninstalled MPC-BE

The stuttering issue seems to have been around awhile now, and it's not acceptable that such a problem should exist in software specifically designed to play videos. Especially when a free player, such as MPC, plays back the same videos without issue.
I am a first time user of PowerDVD and really like both the sound quality (Dolby Virtual Speaker) and the image quality (Truetheather), but stuttering video completely ruins the whole viewing experience.
This is obviously a bug/flaw within the PowerDVD software and you will most likely only notice it when watching a movie or tv episode, rather than just viewing a video clip for a few minutes.
Please take this issue seriously, identify the cause, and issue a fix. Please don't ask me to update my drivers again, reinstall the software again, or post another dxdiag.
Thank you.
p.s. While i'm here some other issues that should be addressed.- Allow a video with hardcoded black borders to be stretched fullscreen. MPC can do this, so there's really no reason why PowerDVD should also be able to.- Fix the issue of audio crackling when playing an mkv with 7.1 audio and dolby virtual speaker is enabled.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag
 Filesize
70 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
687 time(s)
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
I can play my H.264 even H.265 MKV videos normally using Intel GPU on powerdvd 17.
(including both 1080p and 4K video)

No stuttering.

You have reinstalled Windows completely but still have this issue?
Do you install any other video/audio tools simultaneously?
Does the issue still happen if your Windows is completely fresh one that only installed hardware drivers?
If not, try to sort out if there are any other software has unknown conflict.

Except the above suggestion, I saw that you gathered several online discussion that some other users had similar symptom.
It's for sure that they have different hardware and software combinations from yours, and some of them were not playing video file but BD disc.

I can understand you are quite upset that your powerdvd 17 has the issue on your pc.
But, it's a way trying to "promote" your issue as it is a very critical and ubiquitous one and cyberlink doesn't care about it. Does cyberlink not assist you after you contacted them?
It might fuzz your initial request (resolve the stuttering playback) as it's not all other users' problem.

Happy new year, and wish you can find the exact factor that cause the problem soon.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 02. 2018 23:31

Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I can play my H.264 even H.265 MKV videos normally using Intel GPU on powerdvd 17.
(including both 1080p and 4K video)

No stuttering.

You have reinstalled Windows completely but still have this issue?
Do you install any other video/audio tools simultaneously?
Does the issue still happen if your Windows is completely fresh one that only installed hardware drivers?
If not, try to sort out if there are any other software has unknown conflict.

Except the above suggestion, I saw that you gathered several online discussion that some other users had similar symptom.
It's for sure that they have different hardware and software combinations from yours, and some of them were not playing video file but BD disc.

I can understand you are quite upset that your powerdvd 17 has the issue on your pc.
But, it's a way trying to "promote" your issue as it is a very critical and ubiquitous one and cyberlink doesn't care about it. Does cyberlink not assist you after you contacted them?
It might fuzz your initial request (resolve the stuttering playback) as it's not all other users' problem.

Happy new year, and wish you can find the exact factor that cause the problem soon.

Hi there, I'm still working on this issue with support. But from looking online it seems others are having this issue also. I have done a clean install (format), but also have other programs which i loaded at the time so perhaps something is causing a conflict.

The only other audio/video tools i have are mpc-be, voicemeter, OBS, WinTV, Xonar DX, and Flashback pro screen recorder. I'm also using TrayPlayer so i can play music from my taskbar. Guess i will try uninstalling those and see if that helps. thanks for the suggestion.
Oliver1 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 30, 2015 22:13 Messages: 76 Offline
[Post New]
I have exactly the same problem. Only in the old cinema mode of PDVD15 and 15 not. Here are the videos (.mkv, avi, mp4, etc.) without problems. In PC mode, I often have small stuttering but very disturbing, especially on vertical camera rides. The new TV mode in 16 and 17 has the same problems - that's embarrassing for cyberlink. The support could not help. We hang on to:

PDVD14 and 15 only in old cinema mode> no judder, perfect
PDVD 16 and 17 TV mode and PC mode> judder

It must be different in the old cinema modus, because there the jerks are zero

Can Cyberlink not determine why it runs in cinema mode in PDVD 14 and 15 and not in normal mode? I try for years to find the reason. It is definitely due to PDVD. No other player makes this problem - none

Kodi with madVR and WinDVD > no problem. All other Freeware player > no porblems, but I would like to use PDVD

Regards,
Oliver

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 07. 2018 02:36

Oliver1 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 30, 2015 22:13 Messages: 76 Offline
[Post New]
Please delete, sorry and thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 07. 2018 02:38

sergium [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 23, 2016 12:17 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Have same problem... It takes years... I did everything according to the recommendations in these posts and wrote to tech support, but stuttering is still there. Please solve this problem.
Fluteinthebog [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 22, 2018 12:19 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I am also having this problem. I upgraded from powerdvd 15 to 17 a couple of hours ago because 15 kept giving me endless messages about AACS needing updating and refusing to play anything any more.

With v15 I never had any stuttering. With 17 all blu-ray discs have jerky playback. Nothing has changed on my PC other than the version of powerdvd.

What's going on? Can I get a refund?
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

I am also having this problem. I upgraded from powerdvd 15 to 17 a couple of hours ago because 15 kept giving me endless messages about AACS needing updating and refusing to play anything any more.

With v15 I never had any stuttering. With 17 all blu-ray discs have jerky playback. Nothing has changed on my PC other than the version of powerdvd.

What's going on? Can I get a refund?

Yes you can get a refund within 30 days of purchase, which is exactly what i did due to the stuttering issue. You have to contact Cleverbridge directly. The information is on the receipt you got emailed when you purchased PowerDVD. Just go to the Cleverbridge website and fill in the details. It's very easy and i got my refund very quickly.

Note: The information for getting a refund on the Cyberlink website is incorrect. When i contacted the people, it said to contact, they said i had contacted the wrong people! Also, when i emailed Cyberlink directly for the refund request, they took over a week to respond!
sergium [Avatar]
[Post New]
As I understand it, this problem persists and will be present in next versions. So I turn to Windows Media Center. I can summarize - PowerDVD works fine with legal formats - DVD and Blu-Ray, but playback of MP4 or MKV files is very difficult for this player. Power DVD has the original method of playback video- after determining of framerate of video, it change framerate of PC desktop to framerate of video- no one player doesn't do that and I don't know why this player do it. However, if PowerDVD did it, you can be sure- video playback will be fine. But changing of framerate is not happening while MP4 or MKV playback, therefore, the player can't synchronize with framerate of PC desktop.
Andrenos [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 30, 2017 00:08 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I can agree, the movies do lag. Maybe its not noticable for people who are not used to smooth playback but watching it with Frame Interpolation on my projector it is very disturbing. I bought a new pc, installed windows 10 and only installed power DVD 17, watched a movie = still the same lag. I can only recommend the programm reclock. It will sync your frames with the movie.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 24. 2018 20:41

sergium [Avatar]
[Post New]
No, I tried ReClock too - it is useless. Every time I tried to playback MP4 or MKV videos, ReClock issued message
"Cannot sync this CINEMA video to your hardware. Please set your monitor refresh rate near to a multiple of..." and showed yellow in tray while during DVD or Blu-Ray playback it showed green...
Bogdan_D [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Mar 30, 2014 12:49 Messages: 167 Offline
[Post New]
This video stutter is there.

I discovered some errors myself in Previous PowerDVD version, submited ticket. They sent me a workaround.

But still not solved in the PowerDVD itself !!!!

The answer is NO, they DO NOT bother solving old errors.

They focus only on creating future versions for money, of course.

Did you expected something else from a "chinese" product? (Do not answer)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 25. 2018 04:15

Andrenos [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote No, I tried ReClock too - it is useless. Every time I tried to playback MP4 or MKV videos, ReClock issued message
"Cannot sync this CINEMA video to your hardware. Please set your monitor refresh rate near to a multiple of..." and showed yellow in tray while during DVD or Blu-Ray playback it showed green...

Did you try the beta version from reclock? it now supports powerdvd 17
blasiusxx [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 12, 2011 09:44 Messages: 330 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same stuttering issues. And it's correct, PowerDVD 15 plays at example 720 50p MKV (TS Streams) in cinema Mode perfectly, but still stutters in PC Mode.

PowerDVD 17 stutters now in alle Modes, the settings doesn't change anything.

Cyberlink support was contacted several times, but nothing, really nothing changes until now.

On the contrary, everything has gotten worse.

Likewise in PowerDirector 16, which runs significantly worse, and now even makes problems when creating BDMV interlaced movies. The result is a stutter and jerk. ÜD15 created fluid Interlaced BD Movies, compare to v16.

Sorry, but every user sees the errors. The support allegedly falls on nothing. Instead, you should take screenshots and send them to the support... but these are problems with moving pictures.
That's just ridiculous and gets worse every year. Sometimes I do not feel taken seriously.
For me, I have decided - after 15 years of loyalty - to switch to other software, because I'm fed up and do not want to contact the support several times a year.
I have now uninstalled PD16 and PowerDVD17. I still use PD15 for editing and only MPC-BE as a media player.
Otherwise, I'm currently testing alternatives.

The missing for years, error-free Nvidia GPU support for BD discs is just a drop in the bucket. Since this does not work properly, they have completly disabled it. An absolute joke for me.

It does not matter which hardware you use, or which operating system, the problems have all remained. Always nice DXDIAG files and many screenshots including sample videos upload ... Bug fixed: ZERO.

The old Bugs will be dragged into the new versions, and then new ones will be added.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 30. 2018 16:02

Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote No, I tried ReClock too - it is useless. Every time I tried to playback MP4 or MKV videos, ReClock issued message

I tried the beta version of reclock but video still stutters occassionally. Not as bad as it used to, but stuttering is still there. I don't always get green light with reclock, maybe that's why?
Andrenos [Avatar]
[Post New]

I tried the beta version of reclock but video still stutters occassionally. Not as bad as it used to, but stuttering is still there. I don't always get green light with reclock, maybe that's why?

What i did was changing my screen to 23 frames in nvidia control settings. After that reclock was always green and the stutter was gone when i played movies in power dvd 17.
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]

What i did was changing my screen to 23 frames in nvidia control settings. After that reclock was always green and the stutter was gone when i played movies in power dvd 17.

Which setting did you use? I only see only to change refresh rate?
sergium [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, It's true - when I change desktop framerate manually according to video framerate, ReClock ligts green and stuttering disapears. BUT!!! I must do it every time - really? Everytime I must recognize what framerate has this video, then open video driver settings and find needed item. Are you serious? This soft cost over 200$. What's wrong with you? And when I play 23,97fps video, what desktop framerate should I choose - 23 or 24 fps? Really, guys, there are many free software offering much more features - plex, emby, kodi and other...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 04. 2018 12:26

Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Yes, It's true - when I change desktop framerate manually according to video framerate, ReClock ligts green and stuttering disapears. BUT!!! I must do it every time - really? Everytime I must recognize what framerate has this video, then open video driver settings and find needed item. Are you serious? This soft cost over 200$. What's wrong with you? And when I play 23,97fps video, what desktop framerate should I choose - 23 or 24 fps? Really, guys, there are many free software offering much more features - plex, emby, kodi and other...

What I find incredible is that PowerDVD is advertized as being the "world's no.1 media player" yet it seems unable to playback simple mkv files that the free player mpc-be can do with ease. Crazy that this is even an issue.

I also don't understand how, when this problem clearly exists, support can say that they are unable to replicate the issue. This is despite reports of this problem going back several versions.

Cyberlink really need to start paying more attention to their forums and their customer's feedback.
tolmister1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 14, 2018 22:20 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
LMAO i wish i saw this. I just posted how my ps4 runs smoother than my pc.... PowerDvd 17
1080ti
i7-5960x