Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DVD playback jerky
marchewd [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 19, 2014 17:34 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I think it's all related to the way they changed the TrueTheater Enhancements. It used to be a checkmark box to disable or enable them. Now, it's a dropdown box to go from 0 to 100%. However, I think they are still "enabled" on the backend of the software instead of completely being disabled. I don't want to use them and keep them OFF at all times. However, while playing the Revenant BluRay, PowerDVD kept telling me that newer discs cannot use these enhancements (even though they were set to 0%). I never had any of this stuttering/jerky playback in any other version of PowerDVD when I could simply uncheck the Enhancements box to disable them. I have had to set it back to 25% on video to get some movies to play stutter free. When set to 0%, the video stutters like crazy. It shouldn't be that way. On top of that, the stuttering ONLY happens when the controls on the bottom of the screen disappear. The video plays fine while the controls are up. I have removed PowerDVD 16 and re-installed it and the problem returns once re-installed. I have tried this process three times to make sure.

I'm on the latest ATI drivers for my video card. I'm using a JVC DLA-RS45 projector running at 1080P/24.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 13. 2016 12:23

WhiningKhan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 12, 2011 17:23 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having the same issue here; frame rate of DVD playback seems to be quite inconsistent. It seemed to improve a bit by disabling all the TrueTheater features and it seems the TV mode is a bit better than PC mode. Bluray playback actually seems clearly better. Still, the output is not satisfactory, not nearly as consistent as in XBMC/Kodi which I hoped PowerDVD to be able to replace. The hardware is rather low-end ( Athlon X2 / 2.6GHz with HD6450), but since playback in Kodi is really smooth and DVD playback should be a piece of cake even for this machine, this is unexpected. Oh well, I guess I have to see how well the 30-day money back guarantee works now as I purchased PowerDVD 16 last weekend.
WhiningKhan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 12, 2011 17:23 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Just tried watching Batman v Superman Bluray and noticed the same as marchewd. If video enhancements are set to 0, video is jerky and lots of decoding errors are shown, image gets severely distorted. But if OSD is active, video is OK. Applying 25% enhancements gets rid of the severe distortions but there are occasional frame skips. I suppose hardware decoding is working incorrectly and software decoding is used if enhancements are applied.
Mark [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 05, 2016 17:57 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I upgraded to windows 10 and the Cyberlink compatibility advisor suggested that I upgrade from Power DVD 12 to Power DVD 16 Ultra. I did that and with 16 playback briefly pauses and gets blurry at about one second intervals. With Powder DVD 12 the dame DVD plays smoothly as it should, but the control buttons don't work. The fact that the video plays OK with 12 indicates that all of the hardware and drivers are fine. I tried disabling hardware acceleration in 16, but that did not help the jerky playback. Hs anyone found a solution to this issue. I feel robbed!
Not Me! [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Oz Down Under Joined: Sep 01, 2014 01:55 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I upgraded to windows 10 and the Cyberlink compatibility advisor suggested that I upgrade from Power DVD 12 to Power DVD 16 Ultra. I did that and with 16 playback briefly pauses and gets blurry at about one second intervals. With Powder DVD 12 the dame DVD plays smoothly as it should, but the control buttons don't work. The fact that the video plays OK with 12 indicates that all of the hardware and drivers are fine. I tried disabling hardware acceleration in 16, but that did not help the jerky playback. Hs anyone found a solution to this issue. I feel robbed!

Hs anyone found a solution to this issue.

Yes. use windows media player---PDVD 16 is nothing but a disaster, I have stopped using it!

JTT. JT That's Me!