Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
stuttering with powerdvd 15
aquar72 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 03, 2016 06:49 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have had this problem especially when playing from my bluray drive for years. I tried every solution at this forum and none helped. A few days ago I tried to watch a movie in my bluray drive again. Same annyoing stuttering. I said to myself, I'm going to watch the movie anyways. Well, I had to get up and do something, so I pused pause. I was gone for five minutes. When I pushed "play," the stuttering for the first time in YEARS was gone. I tried it again and again with other movies. If I wait about five minutes with the movie paused, the stuttering goes away.

I have the GeForce 960 video card. i7-6700K, 4GHz processor. 16 GB of RAM. Gigabyte Gaming 3 motherboard that was made specifically for the i7-6700K, 4 GHz processor. 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate version.

If you try this fix, please share your results.
medeirosdez [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 22, 2016 17:19 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have had this problem especially when playing from my bluray drive for years. I tried every solution at this forum and none helped. A few days ago I tried to watch a movie in my bluray drive again. Same annyoing stuttering. I said to myself, I'm going to watch the movie anyways. Well, I had to get up and do something, so I pused pause. I was gone for five minutes. When I pushed "play," the stuttering for the first time in YEARS was gone. I tried it again and again with other movies. If I wait about five minutes with the movie paused, the stuttering goes away.

I have the GeForce 960 video card. i7-6700K, 4GHz processor. 16 GB of RAM. Gigabyte Gaming 3 motherboard that was made specifically for the i7-6700K, 4 GHz processor. 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate version.

If you try this fix, please share your results.

I see that you have an nVidia video card, like me. Well, we can change vsync settings in nVidia Control Panel, precisely under "Manage 3D settings" > "Program Settings". I've tried forcing vsync specifically for PowerDVD on and off, both of which still stuttered. Right now I tried leaving it at default settings, and voila! No stutter. I'm guessing this is more of a driver issue. For example, Geforce 372.54 fixed stuttering on the Netflix app for Windows 10. Cyberlink should have done something long ago to address the issue as it also affects other devices of different manufacturers, but they are not interested.

Cyberlinks wants all of you to keep buying supposedly "new" software every year and that's all. I say "supposedly new" because new features are very questionable as to whether they're really worth their price, and certain bugs just keep on being ignored.

If only Media Player Classic - HC supported DTS-MA and MVC codecs...
blasiusxx [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 12, 2011 09:44 Messages: 330 Offline
[Post New]
I had to give it up...

all my 1280x720 50p files especially from video recording stutters all the time. Cyberlink knew this issue since 2 years...it stutters with the "new" Power DVD 16, too.

And no....not only with Nvidia Card. I Use only Intel HD Graphics, and it stutters, too.

I dind't buy anymore Power DVD, because Cyberlink didn't really fix this known bugs with stuttering

I Only use MPC HC, and this plays all files very well, BDMV Folders, too. With All Windows OS...

HillieSan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 02, 2016 06:48 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I use PowerDVD with an AMD RX 480. On 1080p everything is smooth. On upscaling from 1080 to 4K I see judder/stuttering with versions 14, 15 and 16. MPC-HC with SVP 4 is doing this pretty well, sadly it crashes when switching to full screen.

PowerDVD is my number one player, but not for 4K. I hope that Cyberlink takes this issue seriously. I wonder if PowerDVD really uses Fluid Motion from AMD. Switching this on or off does not show any differences.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 02. 2016 07:03

HillieSan [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have found the problem. The display frequency was set to 59 Hz instead of 60 Hz by the latest AMD Crimson driver. PowerDVD works 99% smooth on 60 Hz. PowerDVD's upscaling quality is not excellent. madvr does a better job, but unfortinately it crashes on full screen.
medeirosdez [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 22, 2016 17:19 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have found the problem. The display frequency was set to 59 Hz instead of 60 Hz by the latest AMD Crimson driver. PowerDVD works 99% smooth on 60 Hz. PowerDVD's upscaling quality is not excellent. madvr does a better job, but unfortinately it crashes on full screen.

Sorry, that is not the problem for everyone. You should say, "I found --my-- problem". In my case, for once, I experience stutter every few seconds no matter what refresh rate I set my monitor. There is no stutter whatsoever, on the other hand, with apps like Movies & TV (windows 10) or Netflix.
HillieSan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Indeed, it was my problem.

Your problem is a nasty one. nVidia skips frames with video. This is why I’ve bought a AMD card, because AMD solves this problem with the newer cards. With nVidia you need to set a ‘custom resolution’ to change the timing. This will change the frame skipping from every few seconds to once in 3-4 hours.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 08. 2019 02:00

Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Purchased PowerDVD 17 a couple of days ago and I'm also noticing suttering with videos. Never had such issues with MPC-HC or MPC-BE.