Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
For some reason, the default aspect ratio in PowerDirector 365 is now 1:1, which I (and nearly everyone else) never use. Is there any way to set the default back to 16:9?
When importing media files in PowerDirector, I have always been shown a list of places to import from, including "Desktop" and a list of my drives. Since my videos are easiest to find via shortcuts on my Desktop, this is the method I have used. Now, all of a sudden, when I click on "import media files", I am getting a list that starts with "This PC", then lists my drives, but does not give "Desktop" as a choice, which means I have to go searching through my PC and drives for the video I want.

Is this a new "feature" of Power Director?

Thanks.
In version 20.2.24 most of my videos keep freezing in Crop/Zoom. This never used to happen before. How can I fix it. Cropping is the whole reason I use PowerDirector!
Thanks/
I have had this same problem with PowerDirector for years, and it is still present in 365. Sometimes it works fine and sometimes, even if my zoom is well inside the boundary, it moves down below it when I am just trying to move it from left to right straight across the screen. Can this really be solved with PiP, and if so, where can I find a tutorial that will show me how? (There are hundreds of PiP tutorials because Pip does so many things, but I have never found one that tells me simply how to move a cropped area across the screen in a straight line.) This is such a simple issue and countless people must have run into it--why hasn't Cyberlink fixed it by now?

Quote It sounds like you're using the Crop& Zoom tool, which is a quick way to get smooth motion but also suffers from the issue you mention of sometimes having the edge of the frame move off of the content. There haven't been any improvements in that area since PD15, so you're left with two choices.

If you want to continue to use the tool, one way to keep the frame on the content is to add a keyframe right where the frame edge leaves the content then add a 2nd, duplicate keyframe right away. That will force PD's motion algorithm to halt there and then start a new vector towards the next keyframe. It takes practice, experimentation, and patience, but it can be done.

An alternate approach is to adjust the keyframe that the frame comes back on the content for and move its screen position away from the edge so that the frame never leaves the content on the path from the previous keyframe. Again, you'll need to experiment to get the right feel for this adjustment.

The other main choice would be to skip the tool and go straight to the PiP Designer, where all aspects of keyframing are available and only the motion you set up will occur. You can use ease-in/ease-out to adjust the velocity of the sweep at and between the keyframes and also specify the exact path you want the zoomed window to take. This method can be more time-consuming but it will always give you predictable results.
When I do a video fade-in, the picture has mostly faded in after about 1/4 of the time set and then very slowly fades in to full brightness. Is there anyway to slow down the start of the fade-in?

You accidentally deleted one of the [ /quotePostID ] tags in your last post, so the formatting is off, so if you can go back and edit it that would help!

The simplest answer is to your question is to change the transition type from Overlap to Cross before you place the transition. That's how you can connect two clips without changing the duration of either one.

There are plenty of other ways to accomplish this, as tomasc was pointing out, so try this and post back if you need more suggestions.

Thank you, this solved my problem!
My problems is not actually with the audio but with transitioning between video clips. I need to fade from one clip to another in a song without altering the length of the total video. I can't seem to make this work.
I want to split a video clip of a song, crop the video to a close-up, and then add a cross (overlap?) fade between the two without affecting the sound. In PD 13, I could do this easily by making a copy of the full video and putting it directly below the original, splitting each video and trashing the end of the first one of the first and the beginnin of the second to leave an overlap, and put in a fade effect at the end of the first and the beginning of the second. Now that I've upgraded to PD 17, I can't seem to make this work.
Thank you so much; this solved my problem!

Once again, this forum has proved itself to be the best of its kind on the internet. Your contributors have been clear and have solved every problem I have brought to you in record time. (This time it took less than two hours to get a reply.)

The forum alone is enough reason to keep using PowerDirector.

Peter Ray
A few weeks ago I upgraded to 365 (PD 17) and uninstalled (so I thought) PowerDirector 13, but all my old files still open with 13. Whenever I create a new file with 17 and then try to open it, again it tries to open it with 13 and tells me it can't because it was created in a later version.

I have now deleted every file downloaded from CyberLink before this year (perhaps 10-15 GB!) and I still can't get rid of 13. When I do a search on my windows 10 machine, I can't find 13, but every time I open a file, it comes up.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Thank you! This solved my problem.

Thanks for the screenshots. Obviously you can't zoom all the way out from any off-center frame, so if you're saying that the final frame already has the full zoom out but because the motion path sweeps far to the right, PD starts increasing the frame size too rapidly, then you'll need to add a new keyframe at that location and shrink the frame size down to fit. From there, PD will then zoom out.

It may take a couple of tries to get everything working between the motion and frmae size changes, and that's one of the most challenging issues when working in the Motion Designer. If you use keyframes in the PiP Designer, you won't have the smooth motion arcs but you will have full control over the exact timing of when and where the cropping/zoom frame changes size.
I'm not sure I was clear about what is happening. Attached are a screen shot of the frame and what happens when I try to expand it to the full video.
This must have been asked before, but I can't find it.

After panning in the video crop box, I want to zoom out to the full video but the boundaries leave the video so I get a big black edge. How do I zoom out without doing this?

Thanks.
I'm still lost. When I uncheck "maintain mask aspect ratio" and pull the right side handle to the left, it squeezes my video along with the black bands. I don't want a squeezed video; I just want to make the black bands white. There must be something really elementary that I am missing, but I don't see what it is.

You just need to uncheck this box to freely resize the mask edges:

Once you've done that, place the video on track 2 and then your white color board (or anything else you would like as the background) on track 1

I'm afraid I still can't figure this out. In trying to mask the video, presumably I must size the mask to the video, but I can't find any way to size a mask that is not itself in 4:3 aspect, but neither the image itself nor the black sides are in 4:30 aspect. What am I doing wrong?

Attached is a photo of my video with the black sides that I would like to turn white. Pulling the right side handle to the left doesn't just make the mask narrower, it shrinks the whole box. (There must be an easy answer to this, but I can't figure it out!)
I have a video in PD 13 (4:3 aspect), which due to the shape of the image has 1 1/2 inch black bands along the sides. I would like to change these black bands to white without affecting the image (I don't want it to shrink, elongate, etc.) but I can't find anything about masks that will allow me to do this. Is it possible?
Quote You'll also want to update PD13 to v3516 (or confirm that it's already at that version). You can download the update from here.

It seems like there may have been a Windows driver update (like Barry mentioned) that has affected your system. Without knowing which driver is involved or when the update occurred, it's hard to know where to steer you unless you've made backups. You can certainly try using System Restore (if you have the setpoints enabled). Google for more details.

Sometimes, creating a brand new Windows User Account will resolve issues like this. Here's one article on how to do that. The new test account doesn't even have to remain on your system if PD isn't any different when run from there, but if it does work, you may want to personalize the new workspace so it's more like your original one and let that be your normal accout.

Windows Restore solved the problem! After trying everything else one more time with no success, I restored my system to before 11/13/18, so I now have version 1803, build 17134.345, and my sound in PD 13 immediately came back. My only concern is that Windows may keep automatically updating and I may have to keep restoring. I wonder if the loss of sound only occurs with PD 13 or if it has affected other PD versions?

Thanks to everyone for your help with this. Power Director has the most amazing user forums of all time. I invariably get an almost immediate response, and so far my issues have always gotten solved.

Happy Holidays!
Quote Do you get any sound at all from other apps? Windows 10 recently had an update that silenced my computer and it had something to do with Atmos I think.

I use VLC and Windows Media Player, and both work fine. All the videos I have made with PD 13 as well as the ones in line to be worked on have no sound problems, but none of them have sound inside the PD 13 program, and every time I open the program the sound button under the preview window is off. I can turn it on but I still get no sound, and if I close the file and reopen it, the sound button is off again.

When I went to uninstall PD, the only copy I could find was PD 10, which I uninstalled, although I could still open PD 13. So I used the PD downloader to reinstall PD 13, and that found my PD 13 and asked me if I wanted to uninstall it, which I did. The new PD 13 has exactly the same problem, however.

(I use the 64 bit version of PD 13, if that helps.)
Power Director 13 all of a sudden is giving me no sound at all. When I open any file I have been working on the sound button under the preview window is off (although I never turn it off). I then turn it on but there is still no sound, and when I close the program and then open the file again, the sound button again shows that the sound is off. Thanks to a suggestion on this forum, I checked the preview quality under the preview window and found that real-time preview is checked, which it ought to be. If I restart Windows 10 or create a new Power Director file with a new video, I still get no sound at all either in the preview window or on the timeline.

This program has worked wonderfully for several years, but this new problem is a mystery (and makes the program useless).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Peter Ray
Why do i suddenly have a "by power director" notice at the lower right side of all my videos?
Go to: