Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Overlap Video Clip Without Affecting Sound
Peter13 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 04, 2015 18:17 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
I want to split a video clip of a song, crop the video to a close-up, and then add a cross (overlap?) fade between the two without affecting the sound. In PD 13, I could do this easily by making a copy of the full video and putting it directly below the original, splitting each video and trashing the end of the first one of the first and the beginnin of the second to leave an overlap, and put in a fade effect at the end of the first and the beginning of the second. Now that I've upgraded to PD 17, I can't seem to make this work.
TDK1044 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 11, 2019 12:27 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I want to split a video clip of a song, crop the video to a close-up, and then add a cross (overlap?) fade between the two without affecting the sound. In PD 13, I could do this easily by making a copy of the full video and putting it directly below the original, splitting each video and trashing the end of the first one of the first and the beginnin of the second to leave an overlap, and put in a fade effect at the end of the first and the beginning of the second. Now that I've upgraded to PD 17, I can't seem to make this work.

If I'm understanding your issue correctly, don't you just need to make an audio only recording of your song, sync it up with the audio on your video clip, and then mute the sound on your video clip? Now you're effectively editing a music video.
Peter13 [Avatar]
[Post New]
My problems is not actually with the audio but with transitioning between video clips. I need to fade from one clip to another in a song without altering the length of the total video. I can't seem to make this work.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 09. 2019 14:25

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote My problems is not actually with the audio but with transitioning between video clips. I need to fade from one clip to another in a song without altering the length of the total video. I can't seem to make this work.

The simplest answer is to your question is to change the transition type from Overlap to Cross before you place the transition. That's how you can connect two clips without changing the duration of either one.

There are plenty of other ways to accomplish this, as tomasc was pointing out, so try this and post back if you need more suggestions.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 09. 2019 00:42

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Peter13 [Avatar]
[Post New]

You accidentally deleted one of the [ /quotePostID ] tags in your last post, so the formatting is off, so if you can go back and edit it that would help!

The simplest answer is to your question is to change the transition type from Overlap to Cross before you place the transition. That's how you can connect two clips without changing the duration of either one.

There are plenty of other ways to accomplish this, as tomasc was pointing out, so try this and post back if you need more suggestions.

Thank you, this solved my problem!