Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Sound Suddenly Gone from Power Director 13
Peter13 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 04, 2015 18:17 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
Power Director 13 all of a sudden is giving me no sound at all. When I open any file I have been working on the sound button under the preview window is off (although I never turn it off). I then turn it on but there is still no sound, and when I close the program and then open the file again, the sound button again shows that the sound is off. Thanks to a suggestion on this forum, I checked the preview quality under the preview window and found that real-time preview is checked, which it ought to be. If I restart Windows 10 or create a new Power Director file with a new video, I still get no sound at all either in the preview window or on the timeline.

This program has worked wonderfully for several years, but this new problem is a mystery (and makes the program useless).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Peter Ray
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Do you get any sound at all from other apps? Windows 10 recently had an update that silenced my computer and it had something to do with Atmos I think. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
The "Non Real-time Preview" setting has bitten me several times, as has "I forgot I unchecked that audio track's enable checkbox," but I don't remember ever seeing a disabled volume icon that wasn't manually disabled (muted) or caused by non real-time mode.

Do other apps play sounds normally? Is it possible that something happened to your default sound playback device in Windows? Control Panel or Settings should help. Also, you can start typing troubleshooter in the "Type here to search" box next to the Start menu and choose the option that pops up if needed.

EDIT: Hah, Barry and I think alike

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 01. 2018 19:51

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Peter13 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Do you get any sound at all from other apps? Windows 10 recently had an update that silenced my computer and it had something to do with Atmos I think.

I use VLC and Windows Media Player, and both work fine. All the videos I have made with PD 13 as well as the ones in line to be worked on have no sound problems, but none of them have sound inside the PD 13 program, and every time I open the program the sound button under the preview window is off. I can turn it on but I still get no sound, and if I close the file and reopen it, the sound button is off again.

When I went to uninstall PD, the only copy I could find was PD 10, which I uninstalled, although I could still open PD 13. So I used the PD downloader to reinstall PD 13, and that found my PD 13 and asked me if I wanted to uninstall it, which I did. The new PD 13 has exactly the same problem, however.

(I use the 64 bit version of PD 13, if that helps.)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 01. 2018 22:01

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You'll also want to update PD13 to v3516 (or confirm that it's already at that version). You can download the update from here.

It seems like there may have been a Windows driver update (like Barry mentioned) that has affected your system. Without knowing which driver is involved or when the update occurred, it's hard to know where to steer you unless you've made backups. You can certainly try using System Restore (if you have the setpoints enabled). Google for more details.

Sometimes, creating a brand new Windows User Account will resolve issues like this. Here's one article on how to do that. The new test account doesn't even have to remain on your system if PD isn't any different when run from there, but if it does work, you may want to personalize the new workspace so it's more like your original one and let that be your normal accout.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Very odd indeed. I think it’s time to submit a support ticket to CL. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Peter13 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You'll also want to update PD13 to v3516 (or confirm that it's already at that version). You can download the update from here.

It seems like there may have been a Windows driver update (like Barry mentioned) that has affected your system. Without knowing which driver is involved or when the update occurred, it's hard to know where to steer you unless you've made backups. You can certainly try using System Restore (if you have the setpoints enabled). Google for more details.

Sometimes, creating a brand new Windows User Account will resolve issues like this. Here's one article on how to do that. The new test account doesn't even have to remain on your system if PD isn't any different when run from there, but if it does work, you may want to personalize the new workspace so it's more like your original one and let that be your normal accout.

Windows Restore solved the problem! After trying everything else one more time with no success, I restored my system to before 11/13/18, so I now have version 1803, build 17134.345, and my sound in PD 13 immediately came back. My only concern is that Windows may keep automatically updating and I may have to keep restoring. I wonder if the loss of sound only occurs with PD 13 or if it has affected other PD versions?

Thanks to everyone for your help with this. Power Director has the most amazing user forums of all time. I invariably get an almost immediate response, and so far my issues have always gotten solved.

Happy Holidays!
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Windows Restore solved the problem! After trying everything else one more time with no success, I restored my system to before 11/13/18, so I now have version 1803, build 17134.345, and my sound in PD 13 immediately came back. My only concern is that Windows may keep automatically updating and I may have to keep restoring. I wonder if the loss of sound only occurs with PD 13 or if it has affected other PD versions?

Really glad that worked cool

Now that you're aware of the problem, you might want to open up PD13 every couple of days in the short term to make sure it's still working. You should definitely run the DxDiag test right now and save a copy where you can find it, so you'll have a record of what the working configuration looks like.

If you find that the sound is gone again at some point, run the DxDiag test again then and compare it to today's version. There are some great websites (like DiffChecker) that will let you compare 2 text files and highlight the differences.

That way, you should be able to identify the culprit fairly easily, and instead of continually using System Restore, go to Device Manager and locate the sound card (if the problem is a sound card driver, for example).

Double-click on it and go to the Driver tab. From there, you can click on Roll Back Driver, and Windows will not only restore the working driver, but it will actually remember that you rolled it back and should not try to update it in the future.

It's also possible that an official Windows "KBxxxxxxxx" update caused the problem. You can actually uninstall those by going to Windows Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update, View Update History and then Uninstall Updates. There's an Installed On date which should narrow down the bad actor, and again, I think Windows will not try to install it again.

I know this is a bit of extra work that you probably weren't looking to do, but I think it's the simplest way to make sure things don't get mucked up again down the road.

Happy Holidays to you as well!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 02. 2018 16:36

YouTube/optodata

Tony Ish UK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 14, 2018 05:36 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
I noticed that the speaker icon for Win10 also acts as a volume control for a number of apps. So it is possible to set seperate sound levels (Win alarms etc) .

i do not remember if PD was one that came up, but might be worth a looksee

(on my tablet, otherwise I would check for you)

rgds