Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Zooming Out in video crop expands outside the video
Peter13 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 04, 2015 18:17 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
This must have been asked before, but I can't find it.

After panning in the video crop box, I want to zoom out to the full video but the boundaries leave the video so I get a big black edge. How do I zoom out without doing this?

Thanks.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote How do I zoom out without doing this?

There are a couple of different ways to do this. The easiest one is to always place a fullscreen keyframe at the very end of the clip to make sure that no matter what you do, you can get back to the exactly full screen at the end. Place the scrubber at the very end and then click on Copy Previous Keyframe.

If you've already spent time on keyframing everything just the way you want, the best approach is probably to manually set the crop frame as close to the clip edges as possible at the end of the clip. You won't be able to fit it exactly, but you'll be able to reach two adjacent edges, then set the other two slightly inside the clip edges to avoid having a black area.

You can also place a color board, a screenshot of the clip or even a synced copy of the original video clip on the track above the cropped one so that if the cropped clip goes offscreen, you'll have an appropriate backdrop that will show up instead of a blank, black area.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Peter13 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm not sure I was clear about what is happening. Attached are a screen shot of the frame and what happens when I try to expand it to the full video.
[Thumb - 2.jpg]
 Filename
2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
what happens while it is expanding to the full video
 Filesize
157 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9 time(s)
[Thumb - 1.jpg]
 Filename
1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
frame I want to expand
 Filesize
149 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm not sure I was clear about what is happening. Attached are a screen shot of the frame and what happens when I try to expand it to the full video.

Thanks for the screenshots. Obviously you can't zoom all the way out from any off-center frame, so if you're saying that the final frame already has the full zoom out but because the motion path sweeps far to the right, PD starts increasing the frame size too rapidly, then you'll need to add a new keyframe at that location and shrink the frame size down to fit. From there, PD will then zoom out.

It may take a couple of tries to get everything working between the motion and frmae size changes, and that's one of the most challenging issues when working in the Motion Designer. If you use keyframes in the PiP Designer, you won't have the smooth motion arcs but you will have full control over the exact timing of when and where the cropping/zoom frame changes size.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Peter13 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you! This solved my problem.

Thanks for the screenshots. Obviously you can't zoom all the way out from any off-center frame, so if you're saying that the final frame already has the full zoom out but because the motion path sweeps far to the right, PD starts increasing the frame size too rapidly, then you'll need to add a new keyframe at that location and shrink the frame size down to fit. From there, PD will then zoom out.

It may take a couple of tries to get everything working between the motion and frmae size changes, and that's one of the most challenging issues when working in the Motion Designer. If you use keyframes in the PiP Designer, you won't have the smooth motion arcs but you will have full control over the exact timing of when and where the cropping/zoom frame changes size.