Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I see on the Cyberlink website that they recommend disabling any firewall and anti-virus programs before downloading PD 9. I can’t imagine being on the internet with a Windows machine, even for a short time, while having these programs disabled. I am I too paranoid?
Overlap for reasons others have stated and YES - BRING BACK THE DURATION BUTTON. So fast and easy to use the duration button versus dragging both ends of a transition on the timeline. I haven't even upgraded to PD 9 yet and I already miss the duration button!
I don't think you will be able to capture the analog footage with PD 8. I ran into the same issue and another forum member suggested using Windows Movie Maker, which is a free program. There are some limitations with it such as you can't hear the audio while capturing but it will capture analog footage, at least the version I'm using does. There is a fairly recent version of it that Windows has released and I have not used it, so I can't be sure if it will capture analog footage but it would be worth a try. Once you have the footage captured, you can do all of your editing of the captured clips, in PD 8. There is an updated version of PD 8, build 8.00.3022, from what you are using. Updating your version won't help with capturing analog footage but still something you might want to consider. Good luck.
JamesW, sorry for such a late reply but I wanted to let you know that I followed your recommendation to try burning projects to a folder and then using ImgBurn to burn those files to a DVD. It works great. The projects burn very quickly to DVD and I have not had any failed attempts while burning from ImgBurn to DVD. Great suggestion, thanks.
I'm sorry I don't know the answer but it's a good question. I would hope that projects completed in PD 8 could be opened in PD 9 but if not, that is a big issue.
Wonderful, thanks.
Has PD 9 Ultra been updated since it's release?
I have never had any trouble with PD 8 opening until the past few days. I keep a PD 8 icon pinned to my taskbar and over the past few days, when I click on it to open PD 8, nothing happens. If I restart my computer then it works fine for a while but eventually it again will not open and I have to restart Windows. I have not changed anything within PD. Maybe it's a Windows problem? I do add programs from time to time but I can't put my finger on anything I did that may have caused this problem. I went to the .exe file in my program files and trying to open from there does not work either. Any ideas about what could have gone wrong here? I realize it may be difficult to track down as it may an issue with my Windows and not a PD issue.
FredB,

On my last post I used the "Quick Reply" option which does not offer an option for attachments but now I know for next time. I edited my post to get rid of all the report text. I have the drivers downloaded and will be installing. Thanks for all the help.
FredB

Here is my DxDiag report. It's very long, hope I was to include it all.

FredB

I have to admit I don't know what dxdiag is. I went to the NVIDIA website to find the correct driver and using two search methods there, got the same result for what driver I needed. I allowed their site to run a tool that analyzed my system to determine the appropriate driver and it came up with the same driver I found using their other option which was to select the Product Type, Product Series, Product and Operating System. Is there a short answer about dxdiag or should I just take a look at other posts to get more info. on it? Thanks again.
I read FredB’s excellent post (PowerDirector 9 fails to start or hangs or has video problems or production failures = Tip Sheet) about updating video card drivers to get the best performance from PD 8 or 9 and I would like to follow-up with a few questions before installing my driver update. I have never updated my video card drivers and I want to verify that I correctly understand how to do it. I have downloaded the correct driver from the NVIDIA website but could not find specific installation instructions. They did recommend disabling any AV software before installing but that’s about it. My first question is, do I need to uninstall the current driver before installing the new one? My impression is that I do need to uninstall the old driver first but that sounds a bit scary (will my monitor still look fine after uninstalling the driver and before installing the updated driver?). When it comes to installing the updated driver, it looks like I have a couple of options. If I go to Device Manager/Display Adaptors I can see options in the properties for uninstalling and updating the driver. The other option would be to uninstall from Windows Uninstall or Change a Program window (I’m running Windows 7 64 bit). I can see the NVIDIA driver in the list. If I uninstall from there, then I could go directly to the .exe file for the updated driver and run it or go back into the Display Adaptors properties dialog box and update from there by browsing for the .exe file. Before doing any of this, as recommended by FredB, I would create a Windows Restore Point first. I wouldn’t think it would make any difference where I go to uninstall the current driver or where I install the update from but if I’m wrong, I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. The biggest question is, do I uninstall the current driver first and then install the update? Thanks.
mrtavares, thanks for posting the video re: PD 9 Ultra and editing clips from a Panasonic TM700 that were shot at 1080p 60fps. Very helpful and encouraging.
Thanks to HalCon, Trevor George and Cap'n Kevin for the feedback, as always, it is appreciated. The link to all the TM700 references on the forum is very helpful. The Cyberlink Community Forum is great because of all the members/contributors who help out us "newbies" with quick and helpful responses. Many thanks.
I’m considering buying a new camcorder (mine current camera is over 11 years old!) and one that is within my price range and that gets good reviews is the Panasonic HDC-TM700. Reviewers love the quality of the video that is shot in 1080/60p but one reviewer states “the camcorder uses a proprietary MPEG-4 codec that isn't really compatible with anything other than Panasonic's provided software.” (http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panasonic-HDC-TM700-Camcorder-Review-37681/Compression-amp-Media.htm). The camera owner’s manual lists the recording format as “1080/60p: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (original format)”. I don’t know if PD 8 or 9 can handle these files. There are other recording options with this camera but the resulting video quality would not be as good as shooting in 1080/60p. Is anyone else using a Panasonic camera shooting in 1080/60p and then editing this footage successfully with PD 8 or 9? Hope I have provided enough information but if not, let me know and I can elaborate. Thanks.
Thanks FredB, I'll take a closer look at the posts to find additional info. to consider when upgrading.
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I can't find an answer in the CL support area. If I upgrade from PD 8 Ultra to 9, can I install 9 over the top of 8 or do I have to uninstall 8 first? Thanks.
I was never able to import analog video using PD 8 but got a tip from another forum user to try using Windows Movie Maker (free software). It has some limitations, you can't hear any audio, but it does work to import analog material that can than be edited in PD.
I would be interested in hearing from those who have upgraded from PD Ultra 8 to version 9. I too have had PD 8 for only about 7 months and I hesitate to upgrade based on the cost. I do have a Windows 7 64 bit computer and would be curious if the new version has a significant performance edge over version 8. What are the other pros and cons that others have found by updating?
Update on capturing analog video. Jeff suggested Windows MovieMaker might be an option for capturing analog video. I tried the BETA version of MovieMaker for Vista/Win 7. Success! It's a bit cumbersome but it worked. I put the analog 8mm video tape into my Sony digital Handycam and played it from there. I have only tried a few short clips but Movie Maker did capture the footage. Once I import the .avi clips into PowerDirector, I do have to trim the first few seconds of the clips because they contain some video interference and black space before the captured video plays but that's not a big problem. Thanks for the tip Jeff, it will save me from having to get a capture device.
Thanks for the info. Jeff. I see Microsoft has a beta version of Movie Maker that works with Win 7. They claim it's an all new product, not the same as the version that works with XP. I'm not sure if this new version will work for capturing analog video but it's worth my exploring it as an option. I appreciate the heads up.
Go to: