Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 9 upgrade - is it a fair price to ask?
mikejoed [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 24, 2010 10:10 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I have tried to question the sales team about this but like most web sale sites, reaching them is like getting through fort Knox.

Is this PD9 upgrade worth the money? I am disappointed at the cost of the upgrade from PD8. Having bought PD8 less than six months ago, I wouldn't have expected to pay as much again for the upgrade. By its very nature, it is an upgrade! I do appreciate development costs, but surely, with the customer base that Cyberlink has, they could have been more reasonable with their upgrade price.

I am now considering Adobe Premier Elements, which isn't that different in price but is favoured much more by professionals. Capture your precious moments in ways that will remain forever.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not sure who can answer your question, no one on the forum has anything to do with CL's pricing policy as far as I know. PD9 is significantly different to PD8, many will think much in PD9 is advantageous, many will think that PD8 was better in some regards. In truth, some things will be better, some not.

I'm not sure PD9 is just an upgrade of PD8 - there appears to be sufficient new features to justify it being a reasonable advance. Personally, although PD9 is far from perfect, I've grown to like it better than PD8 but it has required me to re-think the way I do things - and some things are still irritating/poorly functioning which I hope CL addresses but.......

Other NLEs will have their advantages and disadvantages - we must all make our choices.

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
[Post New]
I would be interested in hearing from those who have upgraded from PD Ultra 8 to version 9. I too have had PD 8 for only about 7 months and I hesitate to upgrade based on the cost. I do have a Windows 7 64 bit computer and would be curious if the new version has a significant performance edge over version 8. What are the other pros and cons that others have found by updating? Redwing Roger

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium, Intel Core i7-860 2.8GHz processor, 8Gb DDR3 SDRAM, nVidia GeForce GTS240 1024MB graphics card, 2nd internal HD - WD Black Caviar 2TB. PD 9 Ultra, Build 9.00.2330
[Post New]
I had PD8...I participated in the Beta Testing of PD9...I say that so you know I have seen many "issues" and "hiccups" in the new version during that time!!!

I have a 64Bit machine and the PD9-Ultra64 version is faster, better and filled with many requested features and fixes.

I recommend the upgrade if your machine/video card are powerful (like yours is Redwing Roger). Some users with lower-end graphics cards have seen some issues that hopefully will be addressed in an upcoming maintenance release.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 06. 2010 16:48

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

I am now considering Adobe Premier Elements, which isn't that different in price but is favoured much more by professionals.

Before you make the jump to Adobe Premier Elements I would check out what it can actually do. Plus the extra you will have to pay if you want things that PD gives you for free, like the Director Zone. I think you will find when you look into what editing programs are out there PowerDirector is the best value for money you can buy.

I doubt very much if professionals are using Elements, they would be using Adobe Premier Pro for which you would pay $800 US.

Regarding the upgrade to PD9 I am still in two minds whether or not it was worth it, I don't find it that much faster then PD8 but I have a powerful computer. I do like the added tweaks in being finally able to move material from track to track and especially the extra formats for producing, including 1080p instead of having to rely on interlaced if producing to 1080.

You know the more I think about the extra bits in PD9 yes it is worth the upgrade.

Cheers

Robert2 S

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
[Post New]
Robert2 S;
Are you running 64BIT??
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Yes I am running Win7 64 bit. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
[Post New]
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I can't find an answer in the CL support area. If I upgrade from PD 8 Ultra to 9, can I install 9 over the top of 8 or do I have to uninstall 8 first? Thanks. Redwing Roger

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium, Intel Core i7-860 2.8GHz processor, 8Gb DDR3 SDRAM, nVidia GeForce GTS240 1024MB graphics card, 2nd internal HD - WD Black Caviar 2TB. PD 9 Ultra, Build 9.00.2330
[Post New]
PD9 removes PD8. Some folks recommend removing it manually, but I never (fingers-crossed here) have trouble just putting it over the old copy and letting the INSTALLER remove it.

If you have created any custom menus...make sure to copy/save them first! There are other posts here that speak to that. I will try and find some links or wait for another to tell you where it is.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 06. 2010 18:04

[Post New]
Thanks FredB, I'll take a closer look at the posts to find additional info. to consider when upgrading. Redwing Roger

Trevor George
Member Location: Bristol, UK. Joined: May 29, 2010 17:44 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 06. 2010 18:06

Trevor . . My YouTube site . . (Bristol, UK) . . My JVC GZ-HM1 Camcorder
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
As a PDR9 Beta tester I agree with FredB,

I also have that other program on my computer (latest full version), which I only use for comparison purposes

PDR9 is Faster
PDR9 remains responsive when using multiple HD clips in complex projects
PDR9 renders 20 times faster or more
PDR9 is very user friendly

That other program is a cut down version of the Pro edition, (and it shows), there is nothing user friendly about the program, just try going through a produce sequence, when you require a custom template, nothing in that other program, tells you how to make it, whereas with PDR9 all the options are immediately available.

Tests were carried out on my desktop, 64 bit and my laptop, 32 bit, the results were the same, PDR9 was faster, more efficient and more responsive

As FredB has stated, during Beta testing we identified many issues, of which only a few have been addressed, hopefully the next patch, when released, will have fixed the major problems.

I have used PowerDirector since version 5 and that other program since version 3 and PowerDirector wins every time.

However, that's only my opinion, others may have a different one.

Robert
Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
How would you expect the sales team to respond, no it's not worth it? Only you can decide if it is worth the cost. I think it is. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Jaime said,
How would you expect the sales team to respond, no it's not worth it? Only you can decide if it is worth the cost. I think it is.

Not with you on that one Jaime, none of the Beta testers have any connection with CyberLink, all the Beta testers were invited to devote 3 months of their valuable time to test PDR9 and we all did with due diligence.

I have both products on my computers, and have no allegiance to either product, my own personal opinion is that PowerDirector is superior in all aspects of project creation and rendering and is very user friendly, whereas I don't find the other program user friendly at all.

Robert

Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry, I was referring to the original post if that wasn't clear. I should have quoted it. I actually agree with you. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
[Post New]
No need to apologise Jaime, I should have realised that myself

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit

PDtoots
mikejoed [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 24, 2010 10:10 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I am sure you guys who had the Beta version to check out did a job that was not only worthwhile but greatly appreciated by everyone who uses the program. It is re-assuring to know that new versions are being trialed by PD enthusiasts and not just pushy sales team, eager to get the program off the shelf.

I must concede to the fact that this Cyberlink forum is a useful help that I don't see available with the other video editing software programs. And as has been said, there are many available freebees that help to add to the enjoyment of the program.

One of the features that tempted me to the other side is the ability to run 2 or more 'Video' tracks alongside each other. I know, I am still a novice in this video editing What I was looking for is the ability to enter 2 VT tracks of the same event but from 2 different cameras / angles. Then to alternate which track is shown. Methinks this might be possible by utilising a Pip track!

I too am running windows 7 64 bit and would hope to see significant benefits from the upgrade. I think I will wait until the creases have been ironed out and the updated patched version is released. Any ideas on when this might be? Capture your precious moments in ways that will remain forever.
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
PD9 is a good step forward in ease of use and flexibility in editing. Like all new versions of software it does have a few minor tweaks to be made. If PD8 is doing what you want now, leave well enough alone. PD9 will be ready for your more elaborate projects (yes, it is more capable) in a few months time. Win 10, i7