Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
[SOLVED] Updating Video Card Driver
[Post New]
I read FredB’s excellent post (PowerDirector 9 fails to start or hangs or has video problems or production failures = Tip Sheet) about updating video card drivers to get the best performance from PD 8 or 9 and I would like to follow-up with a few questions before installing my driver update. I have never updated my video card drivers and I want to verify that I correctly understand how to do it. I have downloaded the correct driver from the NVIDIA website but could not find specific installation instructions. They did recommend disabling any AV software before installing but that’s about it. My first question is, do I need to uninstall the current driver before installing the new one? My impression is that I do need to uninstall the old driver first but that sounds a bit scary (will my monitor still look fine after uninstalling the driver and before installing the updated driver?). When it comes to installing the updated driver, it looks like I have a couple of options. If I go to Device Manager/Display Adaptors I can see options in the properties for uninstalling and updating the driver. The other option would be to uninstall from Windows Uninstall or Change a Program window (I’m running Windows 7 64 bit). I can see the NVIDIA driver in the list. If I uninstall from there, then I could go directly to the .exe file for the updated driver and run it or go back into the Display Adaptors properties dialog box and update from there by browsing for the .exe file. Before doing any of this, as recommended by FredB, I would create a Windows Restore Point first. I wouldn’t think it would make any difference where I go to uninstall the current driver or where I install the update from but if I’m wrong, I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. The biggest question is, do I uninstall the current driver first and then install the update? Thanks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 10. 2010 07:01

Redwing Roger

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium, Intel Core i7-860 2.8GHz processor, 8Gb DDR3 SDRAM, nVidia GeForce GTS240 1024MB graphics card, 2nd internal HD - WD Black Caviar 2TB. PD 9 Ultra, Build 9.00.2330
[Post New]
Roger;
Did you post a copy of your dxdiag on another post? I couldn't find one.

Most Nvidia upgrades handle the uninstall of the old drivers on their own. The RESTORE POINT is just for "disaster backup" and typically doesn't come into play much with Nvidai..ATI and INTEL I am not so clear on.

1. Download the correct file and save it where you can find it. (Give us a dxdiag to look at first)
2.I recommend that you Reboot before the upgrade (USUALLY AV disable is NOT needed).

3. Click the saved file to start the installer.

[Post New]
FredB

I have to admit I don't know what dxdiag is. I went to the NVIDIA website to find the correct driver and using two search methods there, got the same result for what driver I needed. I allowed their site to run a tool that analyzed my system to determine the appropriate driver and it came up with the same driver I found using their other option which was to select the Product Type, Product Series, Product and Operating System. Is there a short answer about dxdiag or should I just take a look at other posts to get more info. on it? Thanks again. Redwing Roger

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium, Intel Core i7-860 2.8GHz processor, 8Gb DDR3 SDRAM, nVidia GeForce GTS240 1024MB graphics card, 2nd internal HD - WD Black Caviar 2TB. PD 9 Ultra, Build 9.00.2330
[Post New]
Below is an excerpt of Dafydd's excellent post (found in his signature and instructions)

PART B
Create a Diagnostic File
Win7 operating system
Start icon > Click
In the Search box type in > dxdiag
On your keyboard select > Enter (return)
Select > save the information
save as ****DxDiag.txt
Replace the **** with your name so the file can be identified easily.
Example: johnsmithDxDiag.txt

A diagnostic file is used by PowerDirector Technical Support to analyze your PC set up.

Once you have created it (save it somewhere you can find it), attach it to a post reply here.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 08. 2010 13:58

[Post New]
FredB

Here is my DxDiag report. It's very long, hope I was to include it all.

Filename
Redwing_Roger_DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
33 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
302 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 08. 2010 15:11

Redwing Roger

[Post New]
Redwing Roger;

FYI: When you create a post, there is a button at the bottom to attach a file....then all the text doesn't display on the post....no worries.

Yes, your driver needs to be updated:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-260.99-whql-driver.html

Most Nvidia upgrades handle the uninstall of the old drivers on their own.

Excerpt from Nvidia Site:
Q: Do I need to uninstall my older driver first?
A: No. It used to be the case that an uninstall was first required. Today the recommended method is to overinstall the newer driver on top of your older driver. This will allow you to maintain any current NVIDIA Control Panel settings or profiles.

The RESTORE POINT is just for "disaster backup" and typically doesn't come into play much, but it is great to have.

1. Download the 260.99 file and save it where you can find it.
2.I recommend that you Reboot before the upgrade (USUALLY AV disable is NOT needed).

3. Once restarted, Click the saved file to start the installer.

Let us know if this solves your problems. By the way, thanks for the comments about my post..I am hoping it has helped some during the upgrade process.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 08. 2010 15:15

[Post New]
FredB,

On my last post I used the "Quick Reply" option which does not offer an option for attachments but now I know for next time. I edited my post to get rid of all the report text. I have the drivers downloaded and will be installing. Thanks for all the help. Redwing Roger