Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Thanks for the info. Jeff. I see Microsoft has a beta version of Movie Maker that works with Win 7. They claim it's an all new product, not the same as the version that works with XP. I'm not sure if this new version will work for capturing analog video but it's worth my exploring it as an option. I appreciate the heads up.
James, thanks for your response. I have never had a need to use the S video connection but doesn't the S video carry both video and audio? Have you used the S video or RCA connections? If the S video carries both video and audio, I would assume that things should not get out of synch but maybe I'm wrong about that.
To offer some clarification, my current camera (an 11 year old Sony Digital 8 Handycam) does record digitally on standard or Hi8, 8mm video tapes. The analog footage I have comes from a Handycam I had 20 years ago and that recorded on standard 8mm video tape. I can use my current digital 8 video camera as a VCR to play back my old standard 8mm video tapes (with analog content) for viewing. When I was trying to capture the content off of these old standard 8mm tapes, I was playing them on my digital 8 handycam which was connected directly to my computer via firewire. It sounds as if PD 8 does not support standard 8/Hi8 and that I will need to look at another alternative. I am not familiar with the KWorld device but will research it. I got the idea of trying to capture my old analog tapes, using my digital 8 handycam, based on the following article: http://www.videohelp.com/dvanalog

That article explains that many digital 8 cameras are capable of playing standard 8mm tapes with analog content and converting it to a digital source while outputting it to a computer. The video and audio quality of the 3 to 5 seconds clips that I was able to capture, was just fine but obviously, capturing only 3 to 5 seconds clips is not helpful.

Thanks for your responses and I hope this additional information offers more clarification about what I was trying to do and how.
OK, now I understand. I will download ImgBurn and will give that a try. Thanks for the tip.
I have an 11 year old Sony Digital Handycam and I was hoping that I could use it to capture older analog video with PD 8. I can play my analog tapes on it just fine. I hooked up the camera via a firewire port and tried to capture. I could convert and capture about 3 to 5 seconds of video and audio before PD 8 terminated the capture. I'm sure the analog video tapes do not have a timecode and I wonder if that is why it will not continue the capture? I doubt there is a workaround for this but if there is, I would be interested in it. If I need to get a capture device to convert the analog video to digital, does anyone have any ideas about a decent quality but affordable internal or external capture device? I have tried to do some research on the internet but with limited success. Thanks for your help.
James and Cap’n Kevin, thanks for your responses. I used Sony DVD R media for burning. James, you mentioned using Imgburn to burn the project. Does this program recognize the PowerDirector files and allow you to open and burn them from their program? I have had the trail version for maybe two weeks now, has the latest version been updated since then? Thanks again, I really appreciate forum member support.
Hey Cap’n Kevin, thanks for your response, it is appreciated. I’m using a trial copy of PD 8, version 2508. It appears there is not an option to update the trial version. I was eventually able to make 8 copies each of 3 different projects, all about 30 minutes in length. I had a total of 6 failed burns. I noticed that when I would get the dialog box indicating the burn was successful, after clicking OK, if the disk took 15 to 20 seconds to eject instead of 3 to 5 seconds, those copies would not load in my DVD player. I wonder if something is going wrong when the disc is finalizing? I do have a new computer with 8 GB of memory and an Intel Core i7-860 processor. When burning I do disconnect my network cable to prevent any internet traffic and I disable my AV and firewall software. Other than the burning issue, I have been very pleased with PowerDirector 8. The program does stop responding once in a while but it has been relatively stable, much more so then my Corel image editing program. I do intend to buy PD 8 and at that time I can update the program and maybe that will resolve the issue.
I'm new to PowerDirector and have run into an issue I cannot figure out how to resolve. I'm trying to make multiple copies of DVD's for family members and I did not have any trouble with my first project and the DVD's work fine. When I burned my 2nd project, it verified the burn was successful but when I went to view it in my DVD player it would not load. I tried to burn it 2 more times and both times it indicated the burn was successful but neither of these DVD's would load either. I put a lot of time into the project and really would like to find a way to successfully burn it. I just cannot figure out what is going wrong. Any ideas? Thanks.
Go to: