Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Compatible Camcorder
[Post New]
I’m considering buying a new camcorder (mine current camera is over 11 years old!) and one that is within my price range and that gets good reviews is the Panasonic HDC-TM700. Reviewers love the quality of the video that is shot in 1080/60p but one reviewer states “the camcorder uses a proprietary MPEG-4 codec that isn't really compatible with anything other than Panasonic's provided software.” (http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panasonic-HDC-TM700-Camcorder-Review-37681/Compression-amp-Media.htm). The camera owner’s manual lists the recording format as “1080/60p: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (original format)”. I don’t know if PD 8 or 9 can handle these files. There are other recording options with this camera but the resulting video quality would not be as good as shooting in 1080/60p. Is anyone else using a Panasonic camera shooting in 1080/60p and then editing this footage successfully with PD 8 or 9? Hope I have provided enough information but if not, let me know and I can elaborate. Thanks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 07. 2010 20:41

Redwing Roger

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium, Intel Core i7-860 2.8GHz processor, 8Gb DDR3 SDRAM, nVidia GeForce GTS240 1024MB graphics card, 2nd internal HD - WD Black Caviar 2TB. PD 9 Ultra, Build 9.00.2330
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Redwing Roger,

I am using a Panasonic camcorder (HDC-TM20) that has as it's best format the [HA 1920X1080 17mbps]. This setting is compatible with PD9 and the footage is quite good.

When I first got it I was not that impressed. Then I compared it to the footage from my SD camcorder and was amazed at the difference. Dollar for dollar I am quite happy with the slightly lower quality that this setting produces. Plus, I can import and edit it with PD9. PD8 would handle it also but there was this annoying green line when certain of the enhancements and/or power tools were used.

Hal
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
Trevor George
Member Location: Bristol, UK. Joined: May 29, 2010 17:44 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
I use the JVC GZ-HM1 which is about the same price. There are links below, if you wish to take a peek Trevor . . My YouTube site . . (Bristol, UK) . . My JVC GZ-HM1 Camcorder
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
The Panasonic TM700 has been discussed quite a bit. I know there were a few having troubles using PD8....I think the new PD9 seemed better.

Here is a link to all the TM700 references in the forum...both PD8 and PD9.

Many of us that monitor that forum have downloaded sample clips from this camera. For me it worked pretty well, but it did stutter at times while on the timeline. But you can always download the free trial of PD9 first and test it yourself...just to make sure you are happy with it.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/jforum.page?module=search&action=search&search_keywords=TM700&match_type=all&search_forum=&sort_by=relevance

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 08. 2010 06:16

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
[Post New]
Thanks to HalCon, Trevor George and Cap'n Kevin for the feedback, as always, it is appreciated. The link to all the TM700 references on the forum is very helpful. The Cyberlink Community Forum is great because of all the members/contributors who help out us "newbies" with quick and helpful responses. Many thanks. Redwing Roger

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium, Intel Core i7-860 2.8GHz processor, 8Gb DDR3 SDRAM, nVidia GeForce GTS240 1024MB graphics card, 2nd internal HD - WD Black Caviar 2TB. PD 9 Ultra, Build 9.00.2330
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Glad to help!

I will say that the video from the TM700 is quite stunning! Very clear and vivid. It is however very demanding on your hardware to edit it easily. You need some pretty powerful equipment...especially if your project gets more advanced with multiple video tracks and if you then apply various Power Tools and Fix/Enhance features. The length of your total project also plays a factor. The longer it is, the more memory that is used and it can get a bit stuttery.

So the moral of the story:
Make sure your hardware is sufficiently powerful to edit what you are using. Cyberlink suggests MINIMUM hardware....but keep in mind that this is only the minimum. To have a fun video editing experience you need as powerful system as you can.

Kevin

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.