Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >

Good Morning Jeff,

thanks. That is a good idea. I will try this and see how it goes. I will let you know.

Thanks,

Tim

Hi jeff,

I have tried running PD today without WIFI at home at it runs as reasonably well as it was running with a connection (save for the odd crash but less so than when tethering to my 5G.

I previously used adding a sketch animantions as an example of what causes PD to freeze as this was what I was working on when the latest occurred. This still happens whether with wifi or not and, I have realised, it only freezes if I try to add an ending effect to the sketch animation. As a workaround I tried to create a custom template of the animation with ending effect. PD crashed but the saved template was then available at reboot with ending effect included. However if I tried to alter the timing of this effect, it crashed once more. It seems to happen on all of the sketch animation choices.

I am going to make a list of all of the things that are causing crashing issues with PD and will then send to PD for their analysis. I will also put them on here.

Maybe my laptop cannot cope with some of the graphics - shame because it is almost brand new!

anyway, thanks for your help with this Jeff,

Tim

In my opinion, you'd always be better with no internet connection than a real crappy one if PD is using such services. PD will run fine without a connection, but when you have a connection, some of these services could have some upload traffic and speeds and latency can be notoriously poor with a hotspot. Simply run PD with no service and see if your crash issue continues.

You could also use a free or trial tool that logs HTTP(s) network traffic and see what your PD version is doing.

Jeff

Good Morning Jeff,

thanks. That is a good idea. I will try this and see how it goes. I will let you know.

Thanks,

Tim

Other items could trigger internet traffic and could grind you to a halt over hotspot, a few potentials:
Cyberlink Improvement program if checked
Cyberlink Cloud Services if auto log in
Directorzone if auto log in
Update checks if checked

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I think a lot of what you have lilsted above might be checked. I will try it with the options unchecked and report back once I have had a chance to check performance.

Thanks once again for your suggestions.

I will resond on here soon.

Kind regards,

Tim

Unless something has changed very recently, I doubt this will have an effect. No autosaves are created when one is simply active in "Sketch Designer" changing opacity, color, durations, positions, ending effect even when exceeding save interval. One would need to be back on the timeline regardless.

Jeff

Thanks for your reply Jeff,

Regards,

Tim
Quote Sorry to hear about the difficult situation you're in. Nothing about what you're experiencing is normal.

PD only needs to connect to the internet once every 30 days to verify your subscription status, so there's no need for you to be connected at all if you suspect that somehow your Wi-Fi connectioni is causing problems.

I don't know why you might suspect that, however.

The DxDiag results look good to me overall, but I see there are problems with something called "CameraStartupFailureEvent" and you might want to see about getting that resolved as it might be related to the stability issue you're experiencing. Maybe try the Troubleshoot and Diagnose steps on the support page for your laptop here.

Another option is to try the commands shown here.

As for saving your progress while working in a designer tool, the only way to do that other than exiting to the timeline is to make sure you have the autosave turned on from Preferences | Project. I suggest setting the interval to 2 or 3 min and change the folder location to somewhere that you can easily find.

Hi,

it's strange as when I am at home, I have good wifi generally and PD, seems to run a lot smoother. When out and about, I tend to tether my laptop to my phone by creating a personal hotspot. The performance of PD is awful when I do this. It will run normally for about 5-10 minutes before giving me the dreaded grey screen when I do anything technical. Even clicking the play button on the timeline takes 5-10 seconds to get a response and can cause the program to freeze. Granted that I do not get a great 5G signal in some of the locations that I do my VE work but, as you mention above, this should not matter. I was thinking that maybe purchasing a stand alone version of PD rather than the 365 version that I have might improve things as there would probably be less need for an internet connection (if there is a need in any case).

I have run the scans that you have linked above with Lenovo (and the Windows commands) and all seems to be ok.

I was set to 5 minute autosave but have not set this to 2 minutes.

Thank you for your help once more.

Tim
Quote I simply wouldn't use render preview. Way too many issues that have persisted for years, audio echoes, wrong video playing, hung produce sessions,.... vs benefit. Reduce preview quality, produce range of timeline, are better options to provide some potential relief.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I will try 'produce range'

Regards

Tim
Hi,

please an someone assist.

I recently redered a preview on a few video clips on my currrent project's timeline (one of the clips had also been trimmed).

Since doing this, when I play the trimmed clip back, I hear the original unclipped version of the relevant clip over the audio of the final cut version of the clip, which makes it sound as if there is an 'out of sync' echo on the recording. If I double click onto the clip and then return to the timeline, this clears the problem and is ok for the next 1, 2 3 or however many times I play the clip back. However If I exit PD and return to the project later, the same problem presents itself?

I was thinking of removing the clip from the timeline into another empty part of the project, extending it back to it's original size and then trimming it again to fit back into the gap? This might work but I thought I would first ask if someone else has encountered this and, if so, is there a simple fix that I am missing.

The reason I rendered the preview in the first instance was because of slow glitchy playback when I was editing the relevant part of the timeline (and general editing playback throughout).

DXDIAG attached,

many thanks,

Tim
I am having a really unstable experience with PD, to the point where I am now considering changing to some other video editor.

I have reported previous issues on here. The latest is that PD keeps crashing if I am not at home and, I guess, utilising my WIFI.

Question 1. Can someone clarify whether a good internet connection is needed for video editing with PD?

To put some context on what is causing the crashing, I am filming a documentary, where I am placing newspaper clips on the screen and using the sketch animation overlays to circle text that I want to highlight. I am saving just about after every step of the process that I take due to the constance crashes. However when in the designer, changing the time settings/sketch size etc., I have no option to save and can only do so when returning to the main timeline. At that point I cannot save what I have just altered in the designer and the screen greys out. This is not the only example but one that I have noticed frequently when trying to save stuff in PiP, mask and other designers.

Question 2. Is there a way of saving my work, when in a designer, without having to be on the timeline?

I have attached DXDIAG below.

Many thanks,

Tim
Quote More than likely you updated PD365 and then a popup message asked you if you want to optimize your graphics setting. You clicked yes and then that adjustment and the Preview quality got set to HD. That laptop is using the amd integrated graphics for this editing. You then experienced what you reported or it is possible that the video files that you are editing now have a slightly higher resolution, bitrate, framerate or in a different format than in your previous project. You can always do the settings manually instead of letting PD do that optimization.

Edit: The above reply is for before you edited your last reply above.

Hi, it is me again......sorry.

would you be willing to explain to me how to do the settings manually instead of PD doing the optimisation?

Thanks,

Tim
Quote More than likely you updated PD365 and then a popup message asked you if you want to optimize your graphics setting. You clicked yes and then that adjustment and the Preview quality got set to HD. That laptop is using the amd integrated graphics for this editing. You then experienced what you reported or it is possible that the video files that you are editing now have a slightly higher resolution, bitrate, framerate or in a different format than in your previous project. You can always do the settings manually instead of letting PD do that optimization.

Edit: The above reply is for before you edited your last reply above.

Yep that is exactly what happened. Thanks for explaining this,

Many thanks,

Tim
Quote I don’t have your problem. I can use freeform as the aspect ratio by using the drop down arrow. The AR box is not grayed out in this tutorial posted today either using User defined: https://youtu.be/IzO2Bmbvm90?t=76 .

Thanks. For your response.

From looking at some youtube videos (including the one in the link you sent - thanks), I now realise that there is a freeform option in the aspect ratio drop down menu that allows you to use whichever aspect ratio you want. This is also available in the cropping tool.

Many thanks for your patience.

Tim
Quote Try this: Go to Preferences/Hardware acceleration and uncheck Hardware decoding and click OK.

Many thanks. That did the trick.

Just as a matter of interest, as far as I am aware, that preference has always been ticked. Is there any reason why this issue has suddenly occurred? Perhaps I clicked this box by accident but don't remember doing so.

Anyway, thanks very much for your help,

Tim
Quote HI Please can someone assist.

This morning, for no apparent reason, everytime I try to import any media into the media room, it comes in the format displayed in the attachement? I have tried stipp photos and video clips but all are the same. If I use media items already contained within PD such as PIP overlays, they display correctly. I tried rebooting my laptop and this worked on the first occasion. However, since this, the problem has returned and rebooting does not rid me of the issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim

Just to add to the last post, I have attached the media file properties.

Further symptoms - when importing to media, the file has the ribbon effect in the preview mode but, on occasion, when bringing it onto the timeline, it appears on correct format. However, this is not consistent and does not always lsoe the ribbons. I have tried different formats shot from differemt cameras - h264 with 25 fps pal - this worked initially but then got the ribbon effect.

I should point out that all the video clips that |I am having problems with were not problematic this time last week when I created and produced a video for youtube.

Has something happened?

I tried using powerdirector on a different, older laptop and there were no ribbon issues.

Thanks,

Tim
HI Please can someone assist.

This morning, for no apparent reason, everytime I try to import any media into the media room, it comes in the format displayed in the attachement? I have tried stipp photos and video clips but all are the same. If I use media items already contained within PD such as PIP overlays, they display correctly. I tried rebooting my laptop and this worked on the first occasion. However, since this, the problem has returned and rebooting does not rid me of the issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim
Hi,

please could someone assist me with what is probably an obvious question.

When I try to crop images in the crop zoom and pan application, I do not have the option to click the maintain aspect ratio box - the box is always checked and is grey out even when the image is selected with squares on the corner. When I move any square, the whole images changes in proportion. I can crop in the mask designer but not on crop zoom and pan. Is this how I should crop images?

Thanks once again for your patience.

Tim
Quote Tim, probably little to no real benefit in trying to force the Nvidia dGPU as being prime for PD on a laptop. It could even be a performance detriment depending on laptop MB architecture. I'm not that familiar experience wise with AMD's embedded graphics processor as much as Intel, but I'd think overall characteristics would be about the same.

Tasks really don't spread amongst GPU's, however, each one can do a specific task depending on settings. One can decode, one can encode, so on. Both won't perform a encode task simultaneously. When timeline content is of high quality and complexity, say high bitrate H.265 content which requires decode performance, it can be advantageous produce wise to do decoding on one GPU and encoding on the other. However, if one is dealing with lower bitrate and lower fidelity compression like H.264, no significant gains in splitting of these two tasks on different GPU's.

Your AMD is probably always prime GPU for PD in that laptop when both GPU’s are enabled regardless of settings, so it will do the timeline decoding. Render preview encoding is always 100% CPU, decoding could be CPU or prime GPU depending on PD settings. You also have the option of using Nvidia NVENC for encoding during produce if desired. As such, the Nvidia will never perform timeline decoding, just encoding. Decoding would be CPU or embedded GPU.

Jeff

Thanks for your reply Jeff. This is very helpful. At present I have set all the apps to high performance. I have the option of letting windows decide. maybe this would be a better choice then? If nothing else, it would take matters out of my hands, which is always a good thing!

Tim
Quote It's normal for PD to spread tasks across multiple GPUs if there's more than one present, and the tweak I showed should encourage PD to use the GPU you've selected. Which hardware option did you choose when producing? To use your RTX 3050 you need to select NVIDIA NVENC

Yep that is selected. When producing, it does show that the Nvidia GPU is taking some of the load.

I will try out the application over the next week or so to see how it performs. I will update this post accordingly.

Many thanks,

Tim

Hi Optodata,

I have run some tasks on powerdirector but the AMD Radeon integrated GPU is still taking all of the load. Is this normal for Powerdirector? Nvidia 3050 did not register when rendering a preview but raised to about 12% when producing a video. Is the integrated GPU supposed to take the bulk of the work in PD?

Apologies for my lack of knowledge on this and many other computer related subjects. i have only been video editing for a short time and have never had to think about any settings previously.

Kind Regards,

Tim
Quote You have to have PDR.exe listed. Use the Add desktop app button and browse to the folder shown below:

Thanks. Thats great! I have managed to find them all now.

Many thanks for your help once more.

Tim

You will also want to add GPUUtilityEx.exe and RafikiAgent.exe that are located in the same folder, and set them all to High Performance
Quote Yes. See if this discussion helps.

Hi and thanks for the information.

I checked out the post and tried following the advise re choosing apps to add to the list and then setting them to high performanc accordingly. However, the only one that I can find is Utility checker. I found one called PDagent but not Rafiki or powerdirector?

Would anyone know what I need to look for to add to enable me to change graphics cards settings?

Thank you,

Tim
This is probably an obvious Question but here goes....

Please could someone advise on how I can set the NVIDIA GPU on my laptop as default when using Powerdirector. I have tried going through windows settings and graphics but cannot see the app appear in the dropdown list. Also, there are no individual settings in the NVIDIA control panel. I either have to set everything to NVIDIA or remain with the default choice for powerdirector, which is the integrated GPU choice (AMD Radeon).

Is there a way to specify NVIDIA for PD?

Thanks,

Tim
Go to: