Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hardware encoding unavailable on dual-GPU system
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I hope this is somehow limited to my Surface Book 3, but the hardware encode box is empty on the Produce page and trying to click on the drop-down list (or even selecting the related button) causes PD365 to crash.

The SB3 has both an embedded Intel IRIS+ GPU for QuickSync and a discrete GTX 1660Ti GPU for NVENC encoding. Everything worked normally when using Win11 up until the latest 365 release.

As can be seen in the screen recording below, I can use Windows' Graphics Settings tool to specify which GPU PD should use and the appropriate logo appears when I check PD's About screen, but no hardware encoding option is ever available on the Produce page.

This also happens if I let Windows decide which GPU rather than to manually specify one or the other.

I'd like to know if anyone else who'd been previously able to select which GPU to produce to sees the same problem. My desktop system works normally but it has only a single RTX2070 and no encoding in the AMD Ryzen CPU.

I have reported the issue to CL tech support on ticket CS002406548

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 19. 2021 16:57

Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
My systems has both a Intel 630 GPU and an NVIDIA GTX1070 GPU. I let Windows decide whether to use the NVIDIA for a program, and the NVIDIA control panel suggests that it will not be using it for PD20. The hardware switch does not give me problems, and I can see from the GPU activity that is uses the GPU is select.
 Filename
hwdecoding01.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
4975 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
396 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Warry. I'm glad that my problem isn't universal, so now I'll just wait to see what tech support says.
[Post New]
Crashing is not a good sign...

But can you try to manually add the three programs decribed here to the Windows 11?

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/84770.page

LE: What the heck is wrong with spelling...

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Sep 21. 2021 10:39

optodata
[Post New]
You are the man!

I added Rafilki Agent and set PD and the GPU checker to High Performance but nothing changed. Then I set them all to Power Saving and the hardware selection box became active! I now have the same selection as Warry:

Thanks very much for solving this issue! đź‘Ť

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 21. 2021 13:16

optodata
[Post New]
One last thing is that if I set all 3 apps to either Let Windows decide or to High Performance under Graphics Settings, PD's hardware selection box is empty. That means that only the Low Power setting works, although NVENC can be still selected at produce time.
[Post New]
Quote One last thing is that if I set all 3 apps to either Let Windows decide or to High Performance under Graphics Settings, PD's hardware selection box is empty. That means that only the Low Power setting works, although NVENC can be still selected at produce time.

That's strange. Maybe is a bug in Windows 11?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote One last thing is that if I set all 3 apps to either Let Windows decide or to High Performance under Graphics Settings, PD's hardware selection box is empty. That means that only the Low Power setting works, although NVENC can be still selected at produce time.

I think that was the CL implementation, unless something new in PD20, as I understood it at PD19. Systems with iGPU and dGPU and both active, PD will always utilize the iGPU for all activity except it allows encoding with Nvidia/AMD dGPU if available.

Jeff