Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD Keeps Crashing When Not at Home with WIFI
Timrg001 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 21, 2023 03:43 Messages: 53 Offline
[Post New]
I am having a really unstable experience with PD, to the point where I am now considering changing to some other video editor.

I have reported previous issues on here. The latest is that PD keeps crashing if I am not at home and, I guess, utilising my WIFI.

Question 1. Can someone clarify whether a good internet connection is needed for video editing with PD?

To put some context on what is causing the crashing, I am filming a documentary, where I am placing newspaper clips on the screen and using the sketch animation overlays to circle text that I want to highlight. I am saving just about after every step of the process that I take due to the constance crashes. However when in the designer, changing the time settings/sketch size etc., I have no option to save and can only do so when returning to the main timeline. At that point I cannot save what I have just altered in the designer and the screen greys out. This is not the only example but one that I have noticed frequently when trying to save stuff in PiP, mask and other designers.

Question 2. Is there a way of saving my work, when in a designer, without having to be on the timeline?

I have attached DXDIAG below.

Many thanks,

Tim
 Filename
DxDiag 28.05.23.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
113 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
138 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 28. 2023 09:15

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry to hear about the difficult situation you're in. Nothing about what you're experiencing is normal.

PD only needs to connect to the internet once every 30 days to verify your subscription status, so there's no need for you to be connected at all if you suspect that somehow your Wi-Fi connectioni is causing problems.

I don't know why you might suspect that, however.

The DxDiag results look good to me overall, but I see there are problems with something called "CameraStartupFailureEvent" and you might want to see about getting that resolved as it might be related to the stability issue you're experiencing. Maybe try the Troubleshoot and Diagnose steps on the support page for your laptop here.

Another option is to try the commands shown here.

As for saving your progress while working in a designer tool, the only way to do that other than exiting to the timeline is to make sure you have the autosave turned on from Preferences | Project. I suggest setting the interval to 2 or 3 min and change the folder location to somewhere that you can easily find.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote As for saving your progress while working in a designer tool, the only way to do that other than exiting to the timeline is to make sure you have the autosave turned on from Preferences | Project. I suggest setting the interval to 2 or 3 min and change the folder location to somewhere that you can easily find.

Unless something has changed very recently, I doubt this will have an effect. No autosaves are created when one is simply active in "Sketch Designer" changing opacity, color, durations, positions, ending effect even when exceeding save interval. One would need to be back on the timeline regardless.

Jeff
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, my optimism was misplaced. The PDS file clearly isn't set up to deal with the internal states of any of the designers, so you have to commit to the changes and return to the timeline so that PD can save the work you've done so far.

It might be worth using Rate Us & Provide Suggestions from PD's File menu to let the developers know that you'd like to be able to save your designer tool progress without having to return to the timeline every single time.
Timrg001 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Sorry to hear about the difficult situation you're in. Nothing about what you're experiencing is normal.

PD only needs to connect to the internet once every 30 days to verify your subscription status, so there's no need for you to be connected at all if you suspect that somehow your Wi-Fi connectioni is causing problems.

I don't know why you might suspect that, however.

The DxDiag results look good to me overall, but I see there are problems with something called "CameraStartupFailureEvent" and you might want to see about getting that resolved as it might be related to the stability issue you're experiencing. Maybe try the Troubleshoot and Diagnose steps on the support page for your laptop here.

Another option is to try the commands shown here.

As for saving your progress while working in a designer tool, the only way to do that other than exiting to the timeline is to make sure you have the autosave turned on from Preferences | Project. I suggest setting the interval to 2 or 3 min and change the folder location to somewhere that you can easily find.

Hi,

it's strange as when I am at home, I have good wifi generally and PD, seems to run a lot smoother. When out and about, I tend to tether my laptop to my phone by creating a personal hotspot. The performance of PD is awful when I do this. It will run normally for about 5-10 minutes before giving me the dreaded grey screen when I do anything technical. Even clicking the play button on the timeline takes 5-10 seconds to get a response and can cause the program to freeze. Granted that I do not get a great 5G signal in some of the locations that I do my VE work but, as you mention above, this should not matter. I was thinking that maybe purchasing a stand alone version of PD rather than the 365 version that I have might improve things as there would probably be less need for an internet connection (if there is a need in any case).

I have run the scans that you have linked above with Lenovo (and the Windows commands) and all seems to be ok.

I was set to 5 minute autosave but have not set this to 2 minutes.

Thank you for your help once more.

Tim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 28. 2023 18:14

Timrg001 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Unless something has changed very recently, I doubt this will have an effect. No autosaves are created when one is simply active in "Sketch Designer" changing opacity, color, durations, positions, ending effect even when exceeding save interval. One would need to be back on the timeline regardless.

Jeff

Thanks for your reply Jeff,

Regards,

Tim
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

it's strange as when I am at home, I have good wifi generally and PD, seems to run a lot smoother. When out and about, I tend to tether my laptop to my phone by creating a personal hotspot. The performance of PD is awful when I do this. It will run normally for about 5-10 minutes before giving me the dreaded grey screen when I do anything technical. Even clicking the play button on the timeline takes 5-10 seconds to get a response and can cause the program to freeze. Granted that I do not get a great 5G signal in some of the locations that I do my VE work but, as you mention above, this should not matter. I was thinking that maybe purchasing a stand alone version of PD rather than the 365 version that I have might improve things as there would probably be less need for an internet connection (if there is a need in any case).

I have run the scans that you have linked above with Lenovo (and the Windows commands) and all seems to be ok.

I was set to 5 minute autosave but have not set this to 2 minutes.

Thank you for your help once more.

Tim

Other items could trigger internet traffic and could grind you to a halt over hotspot, a few potentials:
Cyberlink Improvement program if checked
Cyberlink Cloud Services if auto log in
Directorzone if auto log in
Update checks if checked

Jeff
Timrg001 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Other items could trigger internet traffic and could grind you to a halt over hotspot, a few potentials:
Cyberlink Improvement program if checked
Cyberlink Cloud Services if auto log in
Directorzone if auto log in
Update checks if checked

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I think a lot of what you have lilsted above might be checked. I will try it with the options unchecked and report back once I have had a chance to check performance.

Thanks once again for your suggestions.

I will resond on here soon.

Kind regards,

Tim
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Jeff,

I think a lot of what you have lilsted above might be checked. I will try it with the options unchecked and report back once I have had a chance to check performance.

Thanks once again for your suggestions.

I will resond on here soon.

Kind regards,

Tim

In my opinion, you'd always be better with no internet connection than a real crappy one if PD is using such services. PD will run fine without a connection, but when you have a connection, some of these services could have some upload traffic and speeds and latency can be notoriously poor with a hotspot. Simply run PD with no service and see if your crash issue continues.

You could also use a free or trial tool that logs HTTP(s) network traffic and see what your PD version is doing.

Jeff
Timrg001 [Avatar]
[Post New]

In my opinion, you'd always be better with no internet connection than a real crappy one if PD is using such services. PD will run fine without a connection, but when you have a connection, some of these services could have some upload traffic and speeds and latency can be notoriously poor with a hotspot. Simply run PD with no service and see if your crash issue continues.

You could also use a free or trial tool that logs HTTP(s) network traffic and see what your PD version is doing.

Jeff

Good Morning Jeff,

thanks. That is a good idea. I will try this and see how it goes. I will let you know.

Thanks,

Tim
Timrg001 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Good Morning Jeff,

thanks. That is a good idea. I will try this and see how it goes. I will let you know.

Thanks,

Tim

Hi jeff,

I have tried running PD today without WIFI at home at it runs as reasonably well as it was running with a connection (save for the odd crash but less so than when tethering to my 5G.

I previously used adding a sketch animantions as an example of what causes PD to freeze as this was what I was working on when the latest occurred. This still happens whether with wifi or not and, I have realised, it only freezes if I try to add an ending effect to the sketch animation. As a workaround I tried to create a custom template of the animation with ending effect. PD crashed but the saved template was then available at reboot with ending effect included. However if I tried to alter the timing of this effect, it crashed once more. It seems to happen on all of the sketch animation choices.

I am going to make a list of all of the things that are causing crashing issues with PD and will then send to PD for their analysis. I will also put them on here.

Maybe my laptop cannot cope with some of the graphics - shame because it is almost brand new!

anyway, thanks for your help with this Jeff,

Tim
Timrg001 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi jeff,

I have tried running PD today without WIFI at home at it runs as reasonably well as it was running with a connection (save for the odd crash but less so than when tethering to my 5G.

I previously used adding a sketch animantions as an example of what causes PD to freeze as this was what I was working on when the latest occurred. This still happens whether with wifi or not and, I have realised, it only freezes if I try to add an ending effect to the sketch animation. As a workaround I tried to create a custom template of the animation with ending effect. PD crashed but the saved template was then available at reboot with ending effect included. However if I tried to alter the timing of this effect, it crashed once more. It seems to happen on all of the sketch animation choices.

I am going to make a list of all of the things that are causing crashing issues with PD and will then send to PD for their analysis. I will also put them on here.

Maybe my laptop cannot cope with some of the graphics - shame because it is almost brand new!

anyway, thanks for your help with this Jeff,

Tim

Update June 1st 2023

Having now spent some time this week using PD with/without 5g/wifi etc., my conclusion re performance is that I need to have a good wifi connection to have a half bearable video editing experience with PD. If I have no connection or a tethered 5g connection, PD is very slow, laggy and crashes if I use things such as PiP or title designer. With my home WIFI connection, it is not so slow but still slow, a little less laggy and tends to crash less. Again, I do not know if it is PD or my laptop that cannot cope with what PD throws at it??

I assumed when I purchased my laptop that it had a sufficient spec to cope with the program and, on paper, it certainly meets PD's minimum requirements and a lot more.

Would anyone be able to suggest a laptop that would be able to cope with this program. I am asking for real experience of what works for different people rather that what I need as a minimum. Your feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

New Dxdiag attached also.
 Filename
DxDiag 01.06.23.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
117 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
81 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
I run my PD21 perpetual on a box that very seldom has any internet connection, it's my editing box, I don't have any of these issues at all with no connection. Maybe something unique to some PD365 subscription users. I'm not sure why your observations, have you by chance downloaded a bunch of PIP's or Title templates since those are two problem areas? I once had a bad DVD Menu template from CL directorzone and that caused tons of loading slowness and random crashes of the basic menu template room.

There is nothing really slouchy about your Ryzen 9 6900HS, so I wouldn't recommend any different platform without understanding current behavior.

Jeff
rkruz3 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 19, 2020 10:21 Messages: 112 Offline
[Post New]
Mine is crashing too!. I cannot play a file but Im hardwired to the ethernet.
A message appeared when it crashed to download a path. When I try to download the patch the download stops at 99% and just stalls. Then eventually stops and asked to check the internet connection.

Im hoping this is something get fixed quickly as I was in the middle of a project.
Timrg001 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I run my PD21 perpetual on a box that very seldom has any internet connection, it's my editing box, I don't have any of these issues at all with no connection. Maybe something unique to some PD365 subscription users. I'm not sure why your observations, have you by chance downloaded a bunch of PIP's or Title templates since those are two problem areas? I once had a bad DVD Menu template from CL directorzone and that caused tons of loading slowness and random crashes of the basic menu template room.

There is nothing really slouchy about your Ryzen 9 6900HS, so I wouldn't recommend any different platform without understanding current behavior.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

thanks for getting back to me once more and for reasurance re my current laptop.

All 'sketch animations' within PiP designer (I have attached a photo of the little beauties to this message) cause a crash or a long freeze but only if modify them by clicking the end effect option within the designer. When I leave the designer by clicking ok, I am not able to then save on the main timeline as everything freezes. This morning, I waited for a while before doing anything and it did eventually unfreeze.

On performance in general - even creating titles makes everything lag very badly. For instance, if I type a letter, it will appear on the screen after 1-2 seconds and so on.

All my titles emanate for the default title that PD provide. The sketch animations came as part of the PD lackage also as far as I can remember.

I constantly get the feeling when working with PD that if I try and do too much without pauses between actions, I will cause it to crash. Whenever I return back to the main timeline from doing something in one of the designers, I have to wait 2-3 seconds before I have the option the save what I have done. However if I am just editing the timeline and trimming video footage, performance is good and pretty fast. Performance only lags when entering into designers and adding additional layers/effects etc.

If I want to go and grab something from Shutterstock/Istock, It will take about 30 seconds to 1 minute to actully access the library. Once I do a search in the library and try to scroll down the resulting thumbnails, again, the reaction to scrolling is considerabaly delayed.

This is why I am wodering whether I would be better off using a 'one off purchase' version of PD rather that the subscription 365.

thanks for listening to my gripes by the way,

Kind regards,

Tim
[Thumb - Screenshot 2023-06-02 085538.png]
 Filename
Screenshot 2023-06-02 085538.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
129 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Nothing wrong with your computer by the looks of it as Jeff already wrote.

I also used to have problems with the speed and performance of PD. At this moment I don’t have any issues with the current PD version.

The things you mention make it look like your computer is very busy with other things so that it does not have time to do the PD work. Your screenshot indicates that you have downloaded all these red drawings already. When selecting they should show in the preview screen and move. Do they?

I went to a number of checks that may be obvious, and some -I am the first to admit this- should not be necessary to check, but I
would certainly give it a try:

Check your windows installation with
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
SFC /scannow

Update your WIFI driver, or at least check it out: there seems to be one more recent with the critical qualification.
Are there any other drivers that should be updated?

You can try to reboot in safe mode and see what happens when you run PD.

Check your virus software if you have any installed besides the “standard” windows security

If you have other virus software, does it block or delay PD perhaps?

Look for the ApphangB1 crash, there is some reference on internet that may be related to how you use your pc.

This is also true for the BEX64 crash, look for it and try whether solutions do help you.

The windows indexing service is an application that may be in the way. On faster computers like your you should not really notice that it is running behind the scenes, but if there is a lot to index…. Maybe have a look at what it does index and see whether you can trim the number of folders down?

The other thing that may be in your way is the windows defender blocking specific folders from updating or even accessing. I have
seen this after the installation of a brand new computer and moving user folders into it from a previous computer. The permission of the old computer were copied along and did not match the new computer. Hence a number of applications could not access.

I would certainly also try to see what windows is doing while you have PD open. Try to run the resource monitor and check whether there is any internet activity, maybe related to PD, maybe to other applications that get in the way of PD. (This may also be the case when you don’t have PD running, maybe there some other process hindering you.) Is there something running that is accessing internet all the time, that should not be there?

And the last resort (maybe you have done this already) would be to complete uninstall PD do a reboot and run the installation again. Since PDHanumanSvr.exe is also crashing on you, this may also be a hint that something is wrong with the installation.

Before uninstalling I strongly suggest that you make a backup of your user/documents/CyberLink folder, so that you have a copy of any customized titles etc.
When uninstalling, say yes to deleting all user information (that ensures an installation with none of your old stuff in the way, and... makes it necessary to make a backup).

After uninstalling I suggest that you remove the PowerDirector folder in programs/CyberLink completely. Just to make sure that nothing strange is left behind.
Before re-installing (using the freshly downloaded application manager) I suggest that you reboot.

Maybe you have thought of all this already. And then again maybe this will help.

Hope this helps you in some way. I have been where you are, and know thus from experience that it can be very frustrating.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 02. 2023 09:46

Timrg001 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Nothing wrong with your computer by the looks of it as Jeff already wrote.

I also used to have problems with the speed and performance of PD. At this moment I don’t have any issues with the current PD version.

The things you mention make it look like your computer is very busy with other things so that it does not have time to do the PD work. Your screenshot indicates that you have downloaded all these red drawings already. When selecting they should show in the preview screen and move. Do they?

I went to a number of checks that may be obvious, and some -I am the first to admit this- should not be necessary to check, but I

SFC /scannow

Update your WIFI driver, or at least check it out: there seems to be one more recent with the critical qualification.

Check your virus software if you have any installed besides the “standard” windows security

Look for the ApphangB1 crash, there is some reference on internet that may be related to how you use your pc.

This is also true for the BEX64 crash, look for it and try whether solutions do help you.

The windows indexing service is an application that may be in the way. On faster computers like your you should not really notice that it is running behind the scenes, but if there is a lot to index…. Maybe have a look at what it does index and see whether you can trim the number of folders down?

The other thing that may be in your way is the windows defender blocking specific folders from updating or even accessing. I have
seen this after the installation of a brand new computer and moving user folders into it from a previous computer. The permission of the old computer were copied along and did not match the new computer. Hence a number of applications could not access.

I would certainly also try to see what windows is doing while you have PD open. Try to run the resource monitor and check whether there is any internet activity, maybe related to PD, maybe to other applications that get in the way of PD. (This may also be the case when you don’t have PD running, maybe there some other process hindering you.) Is there something running that is accessing internet all the time, that should not be there?

And the last resort (maybe you have done this already) would be to complete uninstall PD do a reboot and run the installation again. Since PDHanumanSvr.exe is also crashing on you, this may also be a hint that something is wrong with the installation.

Before uninstalling I strongly suggest that you make a backup of your user/documents/CyberLink folder, so that you have a copy of any customized titles etc.
When uninstalling, say yes to deleting all user information (that ensures an installation with none of your old stuff in the way, and... makes it necessary to make a backup).

After uninstalling I suggest that you remove the PowerDirector folder in programs/CyberLink completely. Just to make sure that nothing strange is left behind.
Before re-installing (using the freshly downloaded application manager) I suggest that you reboot.

Maybe you have thought of all this already. And then again maybe this will help.

Hope this helps you in some way. I have been where you are, and know thus from experience that it can be very frustrating.

Hi Warry and many thanks for taking the time to go through all this.

Yes the red drawings do show and move in the preview screen when selected. When you hover over the main index heading on the left hand side - 'sketch animantions' they are shown a preset.

A couple of other symptoms of note are that when opening PD, via an existing project in the list, it takes a long time for the project to load up (at least 30 seconds I would estmite) Also, I note that once I am in PD working on a project, it gradually gets slower and slower the longer I spend. If I come away for a while and return to the project, is is a bit faster again once more until it slows - just a couple more observations of note.

I am going to work through everything you suggest over the next few days - I am not the best with tech so will do things slowly and one step at a time. I will post back here with an update next week if possible.

Many thanks and have a great weekend,

Tim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 02. 2023 12:59

Timrg001 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Nothing wrong with your computer by the looks of it as Jeff already wrote.

SFC /scannow

Good afternoon,

I have taken some of the steps above (not all yet) and wanted to provide an update.

1. I ran all the scans and they all came back as ok
  2. I am currently using a free version of Avast anti virus alongside windows securtiy. I have removed this and just stuck with Windows security for now. I did try turning both off but this had no beneficial effect re performance
  3. I have gone through all the apps that run in the background and selected 'never' for the ones that I am not using.
  4. I have also contacted Cyberlink support who confirm that no internet connection is required, save for 30 day contact re subscription (as mentioned by Jeff earlier in this post) - strange as the performance improves at home and when connected to wifi.
  5. I am yet to do the resource monitor task (on my to do list)
  6. Permissions re old computer and windows defender is something I will have to research a bit so I know what I am doing along with apphang and BEX.
  7. I started the laptop up in safe mode. The current project that I had been working on would not open. I tried opening up a new project and it did open. I tried bringing the sketch animatations and titles down into the timeline of this new project and was able to edit them without any problem. Also, the performance was a lot faster. I tried to do the same thing after rebooting the laptop and opening up PD normally - Exisiting project as laggy as usual but opened - In a new project, the sketch animations and titles opened and could be editied without issue. The performance in this new project was a lot faster. This is the first time I have experienced a better performance and I am now thinking that maybe it is my work process in projects that is the issue. What I tend to do is film a video of me talking (often aimlessly about some uninteresting subject) that will obviously need editing when in PD. In this laggy project I am working on, my talking video was 60 minutes long and I got this down to about 13 minutes eventually with trimming etc. I then overlaid this edit with videos, animations, images etc. Should I be doing it this way? Maybe I should be producing the edit and bringing it back into the timeline before adding to it? All my projects have been as laggy as this one historially but I am not wondering if it is operator error, seeing how fast I was able to modify and edit the sketch animations and some sample titles that I dragged onto the timeline of that new project.

I will provide further updates on the outstanding tasks this week.

Thanks for your patience,

Tim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 04. 2023 08:01

Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Very intriguing that new projects give a faster performance. Also interesting to learn that after a safe reboot the old project does not open en the new project runs faster.
What immediately pops in mind is that you may be using OneDrive? This is de Windows method for making all your documents and user files available in the cloud from any computer, because all these files are on a Microsoft cloud drive somewhere. If you have saved your video files and recordings in your standard user folder AND OneDrive is on, then there you have a reason form PD to need the internet.
Well, your files are also being kept locally (depending on settings) but these files need to be synchronized…. And I can also imagine that a 60 mins video file, of which parts are used on the project (that is through pointers to the original file), then there may be a lot of disk interactions. With a safe reboot OneDrive is likely not started. If the project is only in the cloud (also depends on your settings) and not on your hard drive, then that IS a reason for not opening...
Unless there is a Onedrive in play, PD should in principle not have too much difficulties with the editing you describe. (See questions below)
With the installation of Windows OneDrive is automatically installed and available, at least when you sign on with your MS account (although local accounts are possible, it has become harder to install windows with them). If not killed immediately, it will (to me experience) be much harder to get rid of the standard user documents, video, pictures etc. folders on …. the web.
If you recognize and have this situation, then the easy way out is to move all your (video) files to a real local folder, away from the OneDrive. Also with opening and saving files (including project files) you have to remember NOT to use OneDrive. To uninstall OneDrive would be an option too. It will be a hassle to remove all references to it. But it is worth it while if you are not a travelling video editor using pub PC's.
But if this is not your situation then there are still some questions, like
= What happens when you create a new project (which runs faster), save it, reboot and open it again, does it still run faster, or does it go as slow as the other older projects?
- What kind of video recording do you have? Is it a film taken with a camera, or with a screen recorder, of which kind of format specifications do these files have. If high quality, what are the settings in preferences w.r.t making shadow copies. And have you a lot of shadow copies, and would it be time to delete some (or all). And are they in the cloud (OneDrive) too?

It looks like we have a tendency for very long conversations. Sorry for that..
Timrg001 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Very intriguing that new projects give a faster performance. Also interesting to learn that after a safe reboot the old project does not open en the new project runs faster.
What immediately pops in mind is that you may be using OneDrive? This is de Windows method for making all your documents and user files available in the cloud from any computer, because all these files are on a Microsoft cloud drive somewhere. If you have saved your video files and recordings in your standard user folder AND OneDrive is on, then there you have a reason form PD to need the internet.
Well, your files are also being kept locally (depending on settings) but these files need to be synchronized…. And I can also imagine that a 60 mins video file, of which parts are used on the project (that is through pointers to the original file), then there may be a lot of disk interactions. With a safe reboot OneDrive is likely not started. If the project is only in the cloud (also depends on your settings) and not on your hard drive, then that IS a reason for not opening...
Unless there is a Onedrive in play, PD should in principle not have too much difficulties with the editing you describe. (See questions below)
With the installation of Windows OneDrive is automatically installed and available, at least when you sign on with your MS account (although local accounts are possible, it has become harder to install windows with them). If not killed immediately, it will (to me experience) be much harder to get rid of the standard user documents, video, pictures etc. folders on …. the web.
If you recognize and have this situation, then the easy way out is to move all your (video) files to a real local folder, away from the OneDrive. Also with opening and saving files (including project files) you have to remember NOT to use OneDrive. To uninstall OneDrive would be an option too. It will be a hassle to remove all references to it. But it is worth it while if you are not a travelling video editor using pub PC's.
But if this is not your situation then there are still some questions, like
= What happens when you create a new project (which runs faster), save it, reboot and open it again, does it still run faster, or does it go as slow as the other older projects?
- What kind of video recording do you have? Is it a film taken with a camera, or with a screen recorder, of which kind of format specifications do these files have. If high quality, what are the settings in preferences w.r.t making shadow copies. And have you a lot of shadow copies, and would it be time to delete some (or all). And are they in the cloud (OneDrive) too?

It looks like we have a tendency for very long conversations. Sorry for that..

Long conversations are good so........

Hi Warry,

Thanks for your reply.

That is a good shout!! I do use OneDrive and I get my main video recording (I use an Iphone) onto my laptop by sharing it via OneDrive. Once it is on my laptop, I download it and move it to the default video folder that Windows gives to you. I say move it but I copy and paste it. The original video shows up in the relevant year/month, which is situated in Pictures. I then copy and paste it into the video folder. Pictures definitely syncs with OneDrive.

I don’t think that the video folder syncs with OneDrive but I will check this. However, all the video clips/images that I create/copy, via snipping tool, or even produce on PD (not the finished projects) are stored in a specific folder within the pictures folder that I deliberately created on one drive to allow access from different locations. These are always syncing with OneDrive. I know because they appear on OneDrive on my iPhone.

Maybe a different approach would be worth trying then. I don’t want to delete OneDrive but can certainly clean things up and check where things are being saved.

I will try a new project in the coming weeks and save it alternatively to see what happens on reboot etc.
The video recording comes from my iPhone – 25fps (pal) and is set to HD. I use windows snipping tool to capture images and video clips for my projects.

Shadow file settings on PD are 720 x 480. I don’t know how I could ascertain how many I have? I have just counted the amount in my current project’s media window as being 10 (with the little green icon.)

Thanks once again for the reply,

Tim

PS I have now taken screen shots (attached) of what the resource monitor was doing when I opened PD into the current project (of pain). It jumped around a little =, whilst I did it but I think I got most of the activity. This does not much to me unfortunately
[Thumb - resource monitor 2.png]
 Filename
resource monitor 2.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
282 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
[Thumb - Resource monitor 1.png]
 Filename
Resource monitor 1.png