Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote I just tried a few things on my desktop and got some puzzling results because the Always enter full mode checkbox on PhD's Preferences | General tab was enabled.

At first, clicking on the PhotoDirector button in PD momentarily minimized PD but then it came back a second later with no sign of PhD at all. If I manually opened PhD and clicked on the button in PD, a message appeared that PhD needed to switch to "Light mode" and would need to be restarted, but it still didn't launch.

After deselecting that option in PhD, everything began working normally when calling it from PD. Even after re-enabling that checkbox, the message about restarting in "Light mode" would appear (after clicking on the button in PD) but now PhD appears, operates and returns to PD properly.

My suggestion is to check and then uncheck that PhD option and try calling it from PD after each change and see if that gets the roundtrip functionality back.

Thanks for the info Optodata. When I opened PhD I noticed the 'full mode' check box was not enabled so I enabled it. It now seems to return to PD as it should do, (so far anyway). Thanks for the help.
Quote Hello Brian,

That's an odd issue, & one I'm unable to replicate here in PhD12 or PhD365. Which versions of PDR & PhD are you currently using?

After round tripping from PDR to PhD, then making adjustments and clicking "Back", what happens???

PIX

Thanks for replying Pix. I have the PowerDirector 365 Suite subscription which I presume means that everything is up to date. The latest PowerDirector 19 and PhotoDirector 365. I tried the 'update buttons' but currently I have the latest versions apparently. When I click 'Back' it crashes to the desktop. When I click on PowerDirector which is still open, the file I have altered is there in its altered condition. So the process works but it just doesn't return to Powerdirector, which it has done for many months before. Even more strange is that sometimes it does return to PDR, but more so now it doesn't. I thought that maybe the latest December update might fix it, sadly it hasn't.

Thanks for any help.

Brian
After using Photodirector in any of its departments, when done it used to take me back into Powerdirector with the altered image. Now it doesn't. I end up having to use PhotoDirector separately which is much less efficient. Has something changed? I have installed the latest update but still, it's not working. Can anyone help?
Thank you everyone for all your help!
Quote Hello,

There are already two posts about this (https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/83932.page and https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/83949.page ), so please first do a browse and search before posting as we request in the read me.

Also, for some reason you posted the same message three times.

For the first issue you mentioned, it just sounds like you need to enable "Return to beginning of video after preview" in Editing preferences: https://help.cyberlink.com/stat/help/powerdirector/19/enu/96_02_00_editing_preferences.html

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator.

Thank you for your swift reply. Firstly, the 'three times' message I don't believe was my fault. I certainly didn't do it on purpose. I edited the message twice and clicked on the 'preview' button to make sure it looked ok. That appears to have posted it. I have been using Cyberlink Powerdirector 20 possibly 30 years. I am not a 'newbie'. I have produced many many movies.

"Return to beginning of video after preview" is already selected so that is not the problem. Having adjusted a clip somewhere on the timeline, if I want to see how it looks from the very beginning of the movie there is no way to do that. Or is there?

You have not answered my other concerns. What happened to the dustbin? To get rid of a clip/transition anything that is not to my liking I can just drag it to the dustbin. Not now, why?

In the pip designer I can not manually adjust any picture without altering its aspect ratio. Why?
What has happened to several important features? Where are the clip/movie buttons? To return to the start all I had to do was click on the movie button and click 'stop'. Not now. There is no easy way to return to the beginning of the project. Why? Arent improvements/upgrades meant to help, not hinder efficiency.

Where is the garbage/rubbish bin? Why has that been removed? Must I right click and search for the remove button?

The 'maintain aspect ratio' box (default/on) in the pip designer is not working.
Thank you for the reply Optpdata.... The autosave is always turned on.... at least it was in Powerdirector 365 version 18. Now, after installing the upgrades including PD19...I just went there, the folder is empty, empty, no autosaves at all and there were many of them last time I looked. Please help, how do I get my project and my work back?

Quote I'm sorry this has happened but I don't think anyone is going to know the answer without lots more information and troubleshooting.

The best option to recover your original edits is if you have PD's Autosave turned on. Go to Preferences | Editing and see if the Auto save box is checked as shown below:

If it is, you can open one of the recent temprary projects from the folder specified in the Browse window and that should hopefully let you work on a copy of the project from before the masking incident occurred.

If autosave was not enabled, the only thing you can do is try undoing the last 50 edits to see if one of them caused the issue.
I am 5/6th way through a project which uses both video and slides, nearly 200 slides and videos. ALL OF THE MASKS SETTINGS ARE GONE. Everything has reverted back to the 'no mask' setting. Most of the slides and videos have masks! This took me hours and hours of work, what has happened? How can I get all the settings back to what they were? All I did was install the latest upgrades. I've been working on this project for over 2 weeks. This is outrageous and has never happened before! What is going on?????
This is NOT an antivirus or whatever problem. This is a server problem. There is no bandwidth, I cannot wait 3-4 hours for a single upgrade. This is completely unacceptable. The entire upload of all parts could take more than 1 day!!!
A gentle request that the button 'Retrieve My Projects' is moved (in the next upgrade perhaps) from its present position to deep in the Menu system somewhere. Who needs it? I have made one hundred plus projects increasing every week and pressing that button accidentally leaves me somewhat pained as I can't seem to cancel the request and end up waiting around for an unnecessary amount of wasted time. It can still be available for those who look back, just not in plain sight, please. If I really do need to go back to some old project I can always find the folder and use the execution file. A gentle request .
Thank you Pix and Optodata for your help. I have tried the animation effect in the standalone PowerDirector and it works well.

Only thing is, why is it partly integrated into PowerDirector? None of it works so what was the point? It's not as if this was a plugin from another company like Titler Pro. It was a download offered through the Cyberlink 365 Application Manager. As I said I used it in the standalone, but, it's an extra step that really is an unnecessary waste of time. Why not fully integrate it into PowerDirector (since it's already half done)? Rant over.
Here is the video I made as requested. Thank you for all your help.

Quote Hello Brian,

Would you mind checking a couple of basic things before further investigation of your issue?

1. When you check "About CyberLink PhotoDirector", is your version 11.3.2719.0?

2. Under the Guided tab, in Animation Effects, are the new features listed?

3. (if the above are true) What happens (or doesn't) when you attempt to use the effects?

4. Have you watched this Animation Effects tutorial?

I have only just installed the March update & have not yet had a chance to explore the new features.

PIX

1. Version is 11.3.2719.0

2. The only thing listed below Animation Effects is Dispersion Effects which opens to further choices but when I tried to use it it didn't work, never offering me a save option.

3. Only the Dispersion is available, which works up to choosing a dispersion box or star or well there are about 8 choices. Cant go any further. I've watched the tutorial and the options that open up are not the same as mine.

Brian
    Thanks for replying btw.

I have installed the March update (365) but the animation/dispersion tools are not fully installed and neither work. ?
I use PowerDirector 365 and all its pieces. Just yesterday I installed the latest updates including 'Photo Animation' and 'Dispersion effect'. I wanted to try out these new effects this morning but discovered that half of it seems to be missing (animation) and the other half doesn't work at all (dispersion). My installed version does not look like the tutorial video. What has gone wrong? Can you help me?
Where is the eyedropper/pipette in Photodirector? When I need to copy a color accurately surely the eyedropper is the best tool. Where is it?

I say that because while there have been several posts from people that are experiencing significant problems, we're now almost 2 weeks past the release date, and there aren't a torrent of them. This forum would be lit up like a christmas tree with ranting and outrage if the problem were truly widespread.

I honestly don't know how many PD18 users are out there. Is it a few hundred? Is it thousands? Tens, or hundreds of thousands? Even without knowing, I'm fairly certain that people who aren't facing unusable software also aren't going to be flocking to the forum to say that "everything is great."

In other words, I expect to see more negative posts than positive ones, and yet there have been more run-of-the-mill questions posted regarding PD18 than the unfortunate ones by people who can't even get PD18 to run.

The main point in my reply was to have that person contact tech support, since they were sending PD17 links to people that had not been able to use PD18, and posting for CL to "fix the issues" wasn't going to do them any good.

My statement that this issue isn't impacting everyone was a very minor point, and I now see that I could have left that part out entirely. The focus here should be on getting people up and running, and I appreciate how much you want to get PD up and running again on your systems.

I would hope that someone, somewhere at CL is aware of all of this and is planning a coordinated response to offer a rollback or PD17 installer straight away. That's what I'd do if I were in their shoes, and I hope you get a resolution soon!

Thank you for your reply. It has only been more or less 2 weeks since this upgrade. Given time you may find a lot more people complaining. Lighting things up like a Christmas tree as you suggest. There are various reasons why there aren't more at this moment in time. Most people hardly use the software and all its capabilities, a simple slide show or straightforward video with simple transitions. They may not have used the upgrade at all so far.

They don't necessarily push the software to its limits like I do. So no complaints when it takes those simple projects and finishes them without difficulty. But in my case and others, we do push the software. 4k video (sometimes). Complex transitions with Adorage etc. pips, particles, layers of different videos on screen at the same time, fx like cartoon illustrations, etc. all happening throughout the video. My little laptop and PD17 handled that without crashing. Rendering might take a while but the results were excellent. Also many users won't know how to complain or where to or could even be bothered or just don't have the time.

Despite being only 2 weeks since the upgrade, the PD Crashing thread has nineteen replies and nearly 900 views. Way way more than most. Not that I care about all of that, but it is a fact, though really I just want the problem fixed. Everyone wants work done and finished polished and complete yesterday. It is the way of our modern world. I will be contacting Tech Support (again) and asking for a downgrade to PD17 until this PD18 is fixed, as it seems that can be allowed.

Thanks again for the reply

Brian

Most people don't have crippling issues with PD18, but since you clearly do, the best answer is to contact CL tech support directly and request an installer for PD17. They don't monitor this forum, and won't know that you need help until you request it.

With the greatest of respect Optodata, you say "Most people don't have crippling issues with PD18". How do you know that? Have you spoken to them all? Do they write to you personally? Do you think that the problems with PD18 are limited to a half dozen people on this forum thread? I guarantee this is just the tip of a very deep iceberg.

I have been working with PowerDirector since version 9 or so, and have enjoyed 20 plus years making all kinds of videos with for the most part a very stable product. I have never in all those years had such an unstable PowerDirector. This version has some serious problems. I even went out and bought a brand new gaming desktop as I thought the problem was my roughly 5 year old laptop. It clearly wasn't the laptop. This power computer is also crashing sometimes every few minutes. This computer is capable of playing any game on the market at the highest frame rates and resolution. And yet it can't cope with this PD18. There is a problem. And Cyberlink must surely know this. I have contacted Tech Support directly and have followed everything they've asked and sent them screenshot videos. Awaiting another reply, because this is unacceptable. I thought Cyberlink was catching up with the 'big boys' like Adobe, Sony, DaVinci etc. but right now they have gone backwards.

I can't afford to be sitting around as there are people in the music industry that are depending on me finishing projects.

All of the initial issues that I've seen with PD18 seem to involve the 365 version of the software. There are obviously real issues there that will require a significant patch to resolve. I think that all you can do is place a detailed ticket with technical support, and I see that you've already done that. They have a history of not being very responsive, but hopefully they do actually escalate such tickets.

Really? The PD 365 version of PD18 is a different version? So what is the advantage to PD365? The monthly extras that are let's face it are 5 minutes work by any artist. I just spent nearly 2 grand on a new desktop computer when I could have spent £100 on PD18 Ultimate? Hard to believe. I shall have to think seriously about renewing my subscription. Can anyone else confirm that this is true (PD365/18 is not the same as PD18 purchased separately)?

I do hope a patch becomes available very soon to fix this crashing problem. I have informed Tech Support but still no news.
On the 17th September I posted in the PD17 thread (there was no PD18 thread) my
problems with PD18 crashing (as an upgrade from my PD365 subscription). Frequently
crashing. I never had a problem for many months with PD17. I decided to upgrade my
computer to a new desktop, the specs are below.

UserBenchmarks: Game 109%, Desk 133%, Work 120%
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K - 110.6%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 - 103.5%
SSD: WD Black NVMe PCIe M.2 250GB (201 - 224.7%
HDD: WD Blue 2TB (2015) - 82.6%
USB: SanDisk Cruzer Blade 32GB - 15.2%
RAM: HyperX Fury 2666 C16 2x8GB - 82.1%

PD18 installed and it is STILL CRASHING. Not every 5 minutes like it was before,
but it is still doing it. This is a beast of a machine capable of playing the
very top games at high frame rates. My poor laptop got the brunt of the blame,
but it is clear that it wasn't all to blame. As I said before it worked well
with PD17 for months. PowerDirector 18 should NOT be crashing with such a
powerful machine and 16GB of DDR4 ram. Still no word from Tech Support.
They must realize there's a problem. I can't be the only one (and I'm not).
I'm going to post this in the new PD18 thread as well
(there was no PD18 thread when I first posted). Please help.
Quote I have still not received any help from Tech Support so my PowerDirector 18 is still crashing. I decided to upgrade my computer (a Toshiba Laptop Satellite i7-5500U CPU 8gbRam 64 bit Windows 10) which has worked well with PD17 and PD365 for 9 months or so, to a desktop computer. What I need to know is how to go about transferring my entire PowerDirector package form this laptop to my new desktop computer. Can anyone help with this?

I have now upgraded to a desktop computer with benchmarks below

UserBenchmarks: Game 109%, Desk 133%, Work 120%
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K - 106.3%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 - 104.9%
SSD: WD Black NVMe PCIe M.2 250GB (201 - 223%
HDD: WD Blue 2TB (2015) - 85.2%
USB: SanDisk Cruzer Blade 32GB - 14.2%
RAM: HyperX Fury 2666 C16 2x8GB - 85.1%

PD18 installed and it is STILL CRASHING. Not every 5 minutes like it was before, but it is still doing it. This is a beast of a machine capable of playing the very top games at high frame rates. My poor laptop got the brunt of the blame, but it is clear that it wasn't all to blame. As I said before it worked well with PD17 for months.

PowerDirector 18 should NOT be crashing with such a powerful machine and 16GB of DDR4 ram. Still no word from Tech Support. They must realize there's a problem. I can't be the only one (and I'm not). I'm going to post this in the new PD18 thread as well (there was no PD18 thread when I first posted). Please help.
Go to: