Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 18
Brian108 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 30, 2018 04:41 Messages: 50 Offline
[Post New]
I have just updated to PowerDirector 18 (from my PowerDirector 365 subscription) and it is now crashing EVERY 5 minutes!!! What happened? Why has it become so unstable? I have been using this program since version 11 (or thereabouts, maybe 20 plus some years) and have never had this problem (one of the reasons I stuck with it). I make videos regularly using all the extras that Cyberlink provides from the Director Zone and have never had this problem! How do I revert back to PowerDirector 17? At least until this version becomes stable?

Extremely annoyed and frustrated.

Brian108
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry you're having a bad experience. With the subscription version, there's no easy way to go back to the older version unless you made a system image (or system restore point) prior to updating PD. In that case, you'd restore the previous image and then wouldn't manually update PD.

You might want to contact tech support directly for assitance, or you can follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting sticky thread and post the DxDiag results for other PD users to assist you here on the forum.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Brian108 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Sorry you're having a bad experience. With the subscription version, there's no easy way to go back to the older version unless you made a system image (or system restore point) prior to updating PD. In that case, you'd restore the previous image and then wouldn't manually update PD.

You might want to contact tech support directly for assistance, or you can follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting sticky thread and post the DxDiag results for other PD users to assist you here on the forum.

I have a system restore from 5 days ago when a 'Critical Update' was installed by Windows 10. Will that affect any work I did (and finished) over the weekend?

One thing I do remember is when PowerDirector 18 first started I was asked if I wanted my system to be 'optimised' to the new version (or something similar) which I agreed to. Could that be the problem? What does it actually do? And if so how to unoptimise it? The thing is I'm sure I agreed to that back when other versions of the software were installed and it didn't have this effect. I mean the program is now practically unusable. It is literally minutes from one crash to the next. I'm able to close down the program and restart it but minutes later it crashes again.

DXdiag reported 'no problems found'. Thank you for your help, I'm not sure what to do from here. This update has ruined my PowerDirector.

Brian108
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
The optimization is to fine tune PD to your system's particular GPU card. There's no way to "unoptimize" it, but you may want to uninstall PD, reboot, then install it again from the App Manager.

Windows updates that were in place to updating to PD shouldn't cause PD to crash now. If PD18 was working before and then began crashing after applying a system update, that would be cause for suspicion.

Also, you need to attach the DxDiag test results as described in the RMBP sticky for us to help you here. It's important to see the specific details to try and understand what may be causing issues, and tech support will also need this critical info if/when you file a support ticket with them.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Brian108 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The optimization is to fine tune PD to your system's particular GPU card. There's no way to "unoptimize" it, but you may want to uninstall PD, reboot, then install it again from the App Manager.

Windows updates that were in place to updating to PD shouldn't cause PD to crash now. If PD18 was working before and then began crashing after applying a system update, that would be cause for suspicion.

Also, you need to attach the DxDiag test results as described in the RMBP sticky for us to help you here. It's important to see the specific details to try and understand what may be causing issues, and tech support will also need this critical info if/when you file a support ticket with them.

Dear Optodata

Thank you again for your swift replies.

I sent you another reply (right after I received your reply) but it is not appearing after a refresh? I included the dxdiag file with it. I mentioned that the Windows update came 5 days ago and PD17 was working fine after that up until I installed PD18 this morning. Then the problems began. So it clearly was not a Windows fault. I have also written to the Cyberlink Tech Department. If you wish I can resend you the dxdiag file for your perusal.

Brian108
optodata
[Post New]
Quote If you wish I can resend you the dxdiag file for your perusal.

Yes, please use this button below the forum's text window:

YouTube/optodata

[Post New]
Quote I have just updated to PowerDirector 18 (from my PowerDirector 365 subscription) and it is now crashing EVERY 5 minutes!!!

Just updated too, no problem at all...maybe you should contact customer support.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have just updated to PowerDirector 18 (from my PowerDirector 365 subscription) and it is now crashing EVERY 5 minutes!!! What happened? Why has it become so unstable?

Not too stable for me either. Lots of issues with "Fix Enhance" module on pic or video and the "Keyframe" module. Both have major stability issues on my platform.

At least I have the perpetual PD17 license so much easier to recover and be productive vs the 365 option.

Jeff
Brian108 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Yes, please use this button below the forum's text window:

Dear optodata

Here is the dxdiag file you requested. I hope it helps you (or anyone) to pinpoint where there is a problem and how to rectify it.

Brian108
 Filename
DxDiag2.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
105 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
363 time(s)
Brian108 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Just updated too, no problem at all...maybe you should contact customer support.

Thank you 'the King' for your reply. I have been using different versions of PD for many years and upgraded to the 365 version about 9 months ago. So I have been using PD 17 for months with no problems. Making videos is more than just a hobby for me so it is important for me to get back working as soon as possible. I have sent all the relevant details including 'dxdiag' to 'Tech Support' and am awaiting their reply.

It is encouraging, however, to hear from someone who has installed PD 18 and is not experiencing any problems. I have a new more powerful desktop ordered and am hopeful that PD 18 will work flawlessly on that. The laptop which I have used successfully with PD 17 is I7 Quad core 8GB ram so is no slouch and as I have said PD 17 has worked on that seamlessly for many months.

Thank you for your reply

Brian108

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 18. 2019 01:58

D285 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 08, 2018 13:33 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]

Not too stable for me either. Lots of issues with "Fix Enhance" module on pic or video and the "Keyframe" module. Both have major stability issues on my platform.

At least I have the perpetual PD17 license so much easier to recover and be productive vs the 365 option.

Jeff

... for me either. If I deactivate the "Hardware Decoding" the problems are gone but after doing this, the preview is very sluggish and stutter.
Brian108 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Jeff

Dear JL_JL

Thank you for your reply. More than 20 years ago I tried different video programs and ended up choosing Cyberlink PowerDirector because of its stability and easy learning curve. I chose to switch to the 365 version around 9 months ago. I have not (until now) needed a 'perpetual' license and am now wondering if I made the right decision to switch to subscription instead of buying the program outright. Anyway, that is a separate issue and not really connected with the instability problem.

Thanks again

Brian108
skycloud2025 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 18, 2019 09:06 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have updated to 18 and it is unusable

17 worked fine, very rare it crashed or had an error message. Now i am having to force close it every few minutes, sound playback is like it going through a fan. I keep getting the grey screen with spinning blue circle. Its now impossible and want the old version back
TDK1044 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 11, 2019 12:27 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
I've learned over the years that if it ain't broke don't fix it. PD18 has some nice bells and whistles, but in terms of the packages that I tend to edit, I really don't need it. PD17 is very stable and does everything I need. I may get PD18 for the hell of it in about 3 months when it's patched and stable. cool
Brian108 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I have updated to 18 and it is unusable

17 worked fine, very rare it crashed or had an error message. Now I am having to force close it every few minutes, sound playback is like it going through a fan. I keep getting the grey screen with spinning blue circle. It's now impossible and want the old version back

Dear Skycloud

Sorry to hear about your problem with PD 18. It is exactly the same as mine. Grey screen with spinning blue circle. Exactly the same. I updated this morning because it is what you do with the 365 subscription. Every month you are offered new packages of special effects or music or sound effects etc. That's what you pay the yearly subscription for. And roughly once a year the main program is also updated to the next version. That was this morning 18th September 2019. Now what was a fully functioning PD17 is now an unusable PD18. I hope this is fixed with a patch because the PD365 option is beginning to look like an awful choice. Just when I was looking at a couple of other alternatives, not for my main program but as a possible extra... like the new version of 'HitFilm Express' and 'Davinci Resolve' both are free. Davinci Resolve is also more compatible with plugins from other companies like 'NewBlueFX,.

But I really don't want another learning curve. I'm happy with PowerDirector and have been for many years. It's a simple drag and drop experience and that's what I like about it. But it needs fixed NOW!

Brian108
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Oh heck, I've just downloaded PD 18 and guess what, it works far smoother than PD 17, even my GPU is running at over 80% a much higher rate than previously! Something strange going on ...surprised I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
Brian108 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have still not received any help from Tech Support so my PowerDirector 18 is still crashing. I decided to upgrade my computer (a Toshiba Laptop Satellite i7-5500U CPU 8gbRam 64 bit Windows 10) which has worked well with PD17 and PD365 for 9 months or so, to a desktop computer. What I need to know is how to go about transferring my entire PowerDirector package form this laptop to my new desktop computer. Can anyone help with this?
Brian108 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I have still not received any help from Tech Support so my PowerDirector 18 is still crashing. I decided to upgrade my computer (a Toshiba Laptop Satellite i7-5500U CPU 8gbRam 64 bit Windows 10) which has worked well with PD17 and PD365 for 9 months or so, to a desktop computer. What I need to know is how to go about transferring my entire PowerDirector package form this laptop to my new desktop computer. Can anyone help with this?

I have now upgraded to a desktop computer with benchmarks below

UserBenchmarks: Game 109%, Desk 133%, Work 120%
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K - 106.3%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 - 104.9%
SSD: WD Black NVMe PCIe M.2 250GB (201 - 223%
HDD: WD Blue 2TB (2015) - 85.2%
USB: SanDisk Cruzer Blade 32GB - 14.2%
RAM: HyperX Fury 2666 C16 2x8GB - 85.1%

PD18 installed and it is STILL CRASHING. Not every 5 minutes like it was before, but it is still doing it. This is a beast of a machine capable of playing the very top games at high frame rates. My poor laptop got the brunt of the blame, but it is clear that it wasn't all to blame. As I said before it worked well with PD17 for months.

PowerDirector 18 should NOT be crashing with such a powerful machine and 16GB of DDR4 ram. Still no word from Tech Support. They must realize there's a problem. I can't be the only one (and I'm not). I'm going to post this in the new PD18 thread as well (there was no PD18 thread when I first posted). Please help.
[Post New]

I have now upgraded to a desktop computer with benchmarks below

UserBenchmarks: Game 109%, Desk 133%, Work 120%
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K - 106.3%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 - 104.9%
SSD: WD Black NVMe PCIe M.2 250GB (201 - 223%
HDD: WD Blue 2TB (2015) - 85.2%
USB: SanDisk Cruzer Blade 32GB - 14.2%
RAM: HyperX Fury 2666 C16 2x8GB - 85.1%

PD18 installed and it is STILL CRASHING. Not every 5 minutes like it was before, but it is still doing it. This is a beast of a machine capable of playing the very top games at high frame rates. My poor laptop got the brunt of the blame, but it is clear that it wasn't all to blame. As I said before it worked well with PD17 for months.

PowerDirector 18 should NOT be crashing with such a powerful machine and 16GB of DDR4 ram. Still no word from Tech Support. They must realize there's a problem. I can't be the only one (and I'm not). I'm going to post this in the new PD18 thread as well (there was no PD18 thread when I first posted). Please help.

I hate to tell you this, but the only way to stabilize PowerDirector (any version, really) is to disable all hardware acceleration. Instantly fixes any crash problem I've ever had. And with today's ultra-powerful CPUs, using the graphics card for rendering is really kind of pointless anymore. Even with effects and transitions, my old 6-core CPU from AMD (Phenom II X6 1100T) can render 1080 in realtime with HA totally disabled.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 08. 2019 21:40