Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >

Do you mean that the behavior is normal elsewhere in the same project, as in any location where you haven't done any transition work; or is the behavior normal only in other, previously existing projects?

Either way, try deleting all "corrupted" transitions and manually delete the cache files for that project. You may need to close PD and open a new or different project to clear the cached files. Then reopen the affected project and try placing the transitions again.

If you're still seeing normal behavior at all in any project, then the collection would not seem to have been damaged.

Hi thanks for your reply

To clarify - this is a large project that has used Shove transitions many times earlier in the timeline and they all continue to work perfect.

Now some good news. Tried your first suggestion NewProject fresh start import 2 clips, drop on a Shove at their join - perfect!!

Now comes your next suggestion - delete cache files.

So not being sure exactly which cache files you were referring to - I
a) deleted all autosave files - no improvement
b) nothing in Preview Cache folder
c) found and cleared out MediaCache folder - no improvement
d) manually deleted all temp files (Manual Derlete button in preferences) - no improvement.

I add that before I started this I deleted the two offending instances of Shove transitions on the timeline and saved the project.

Just found another cache folder in ....appdata/roaming/cyberlink/powerdirector/16/cache/loads of folders and stuff in here but this looks a bit serious - is this the cache folder that might do some good?

Am I right in thinking its safe to delete any cache like folders in Cyberlink areas with the only downside being slow start up when resuming editing?

Thanks for your help - it's getting promising.
Been working all afternoon on a video and used transitions Shove and Slide quite extensively, but now both have become corrupted. Shove now behaves like Slide, Slide behaves sort of like Wipe.

Basically is there is corruption in the collection.

Instances where I earlier used Shove still work ok. Its just new uses where the behaviour is wrong.

The demo seen when hovering over the icon displays correctly.

The actual behaviour when applied is wrong.

Can I reload just the transitions somehow? Rather than a complete reinstal of PD16?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Can I create a custom version of a standard transition (not alpha)?

I want to modify Shove to default Left instead of Up.

Just added shove transition (modified to Left) between 10 clips (jpegs) and its tedious.

I would like to cut and paste the modified Shove but cannot see a way to do this.

Ideally I would like to save Shove (set to default Left) as a custom variant so I can just drag to the join and job done. Maybe this would also let me adjust the default for this variant - but I do know that default transition time can be altered in Preferences.
Quote That sounds to me, that you try to activate the SVRT button in the "Fast video rendering technology". That does not work. As far as I know, you have to create a SVRT profile on the producing tab. See screenshot.
And believe me: That is NOT intelligent. Maybe smart, but not intelligent.

Hatti

Ok thanks for that Hatti - seems like a lot of trouble with dubious benefits - seems like I underestimated what was involved and for such a small and rare benefit I think I will pass on. Thank you anyway.

Regards
Alan
Turned on the SVRT track out of curiosity as I had just made minimal cuts to an mp4 imported in PD16 and it showed as green throughout, great I thought, this will be quick to Produce. Output format is the same as input, mp4 at the same frame rate. etc.

However - you already knew this was coming - when I get to Produce, I cannot clickset the SVRT button, it just will not come on. I can turn on and off "Fast video rendering technology" but obviously no point in doing that. I do have Hardware video encoder set permanently on but I guess thats because my video card supports NVENC and with the new drivers I installed the other day PD16 can now see my video card can help encoding.

So with SVRT indicating we have no need to re-render (thats what I assume) I don't seem to be able to take advantage, and it still seems to re-encode the piece.

I'm not sure I understand whats going on. Not a major issue as the piece is just under 2 minutes, and it renders in less time that its taking me to type this.

So I would appreciate if someone more expert than I could explain where I am thinking wrong, so to speak.

Thanks,
Alan.
Hi Peeps

Pleased to be able to report we got a result from CL.

They acknowledge the problem and have provided a hot-fix solution ( as they say ) .

Basically they sent me LUT.ax file to replace the original one deep in CL/PD16 installed file hierarchy, and it works a treat exactly as expected.

So 2 solutions - convert to mp4 those mts files that need CLUT treatment - or instal this hot fix.

Have no more CLUT applications on the horizon - but who knows - I certainly won't trip over this issue again (if I remember this anyway

Many thanks to all involved - we got a result

Cheers
Alan.
Wow I didn't need 6 days grandad duty to realise a lot of whats been said was a little over my head and it is refreshing Tony to read your thoughts #MeToo comes to mind.

As OP I am happy that this exchange has at least lead me confidently down the path to reprocess mts to mp4 before I start the project, and so far this minor inconvenience has worked except that I issue a warning about my (innocent) choice of converter.

I installed Prism Video Converter software from NCH Software which did the job just perfect but left a nasty taste - it took over a whole load of file associations which it assigned to itself without asking - which really annoyed me. Needless to say its use to me has passed and I have uninstalled it and made a note to never touch anything from NCH again. Just to be sure I installed it a second time and it definitely does not ask permission.

And then the final twist - I discovered VLC does just a good a job, and have it already installed and trusted on m PC - hey ho !!!

Cheers Tony (said one Grandfather to another)
Ticket submitted - ticket number
CS001952785

Included link to this thread
Hi Optodata and Ynotfish

Your comment regarding 25fps vs 50fps is interesting. Yes I have produced in 50fps for a lot of my projects as nowadays my projects consist of a collection of jpgs mts mp4 and MOV with the MOV being 30fps down to the dash cam they came from.

When Produced at 25fps the 30fps bits jumped quite a bit due to the incompatability of 30fps and 25fps and I guess having to "throw away" frames to make 30 viewable at 25fps. When I Produce at 50fps the 30fps bits are much smoother and the 25fps are just as good. Movement generated by PD16 are smoother in 50fps as well. I tried this by only changing the produced file to 25fps and left everything set as normal.

I tried your second point about Producing the piece at 25fps rather than 50fps and it works as expected, so we can categorically state that 25fps CLUTed MTS files Produced at 50fps will fail, and Produced at 25fps will pass.

I think what I will do as a workaround and there are a couple to choose from 1) make the Tower pieces and Produce at 25fps (no dashcam in the Tower section) then the other 2 sections (pre and post Tower that do contain dashcam clips) can be Produced at 50fps for above reasons, then all three can easily be bolted together for the final project for that day, 2) convert the mts files (about 50 or so) to mp4 then rock on as normal.

I am very grateful for the effort you and ynotfish have put into this issue and some interesting pointers have come to light.

I am now satisfied that I have a solution to work with - we have established this is a bit of a rare one - and thats fine for me as this is the first time in a year I have ever needed to use CLUTs and may well be the last until next time I find myself in a greenhouse with tinted windows. From your experiments it might be CL have cured the issue in PD17?

Many thanks to you both.

Alan.
and here for your curiosity is the disaster Produce file of a CLUT treated mts file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VPAoLi6PeQmIIKHLgKdZws963bHX4frt/view?usp=sharing

treated with ynotfish Clouseau CLUT file

Thank you both - are we getting any closer?
and finally here is (I hope) the mts that has the issue

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zqnIi_wu3EdrimAfPcPO-KSqdv7hTKlM/view?usp=sharing

Alan.
Quote Wow, you've done an excellent job of diagnosing the issue on your system! It certainly looks like the issue is with mts clips.

Could you please attach the CLUT you've been using, just in case there's something unusual with it? You may also want to try an existing (although less ideal) CLUT and see if you see the same behavior. Also, if you could upload a sample mts/avchd clip to OneDrive, Google Drive, etc. and post the link here, we could also see if the problem is in any way related to your source clips.

I'm happy to test this on my system, but I only have PD14 and 17, so we'll certainly want other people with PD16 to give this a go.

Hi - 2 things - I tried a different CLUT heaven knows what it does but I applied it to both mts and mp4 and the same fail was seen - the mts was crucified.

I hopefully have attached my original CLUT made by Resolve below.

I will do mts and mp4 clips in a minute.

Alan.
Thank you both - some good ideas to play further with - I'm out of time tonight - but will make time sometime tomorrow.

watch this space

Cheers
Used a Color Lookup Table for the first time and found a problem.

A typical project is created from a collection of .mts .mp4 and .jpg files.

One group of clips was taken inside The Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth who have kindly installed heat reflecting glass to keep visitors from frying! However this imparts a green tinge to all photos and videos which I found unattractive.

I momentarily envisaged tweaking each clip/image by hand to my liking (there are over 50 of them) then realised CLUTS may provide the answer to counteract the same green tinge from every item.

Not finding any ideal CLUT I found an article that demonstrated how Davinci Resolve (free) could do the job of creating CLUTs from scratch then saving them in a format compatable with PD16. It did and it was and so far all is fine.

MP4 AVCHD and JPG all produced very acceptable results when CLUTed - as seen in the Editor preview.

Problem only surfaced when I Produced. The MP4 bits came through fine as did the JPGs, but the mts(AVCHD) bits were a disaster and looked vary much like the 1st frame was repeated every other frame which is the only way I can describe the mess. I am Producing to MP4 just as I always do.

I then went through the following sequence of tests to see what I could understand further.

1. Load (to timeline) one mp4 and one avchd - produce - both fine
2. apply CLUT to both - produce - mp4 part good - avchd part bad
3. unCLUT both - produce - both fine
4. Produce just the avchd clip as mp4
5. Use mp4 and converted from avchd clip - both fine
6. apply CLUT to both - produce - both fine.

So the AVCHD does not like CLUT - looks ok in editor and only goes bad when Produced.

Q1. is there a fundamental issue with CLUTs and AVCHD?
Q2. is my only solution to go through every individual mts and convert to mp4 before loading and editing?
Q3. are there any other thoughts I have not asked?

Look forward to your thoughts.....
Quote Hi Alan

What you're asking for sounds reasonable, and like you, the only way I know of to do that is to use copy keyframe attributes.

It's true that using that feature does copy many aspects from the original clip to the others - even other settings that have changed but that aren't actually keyframed - but I haven't seen any "random" changes copied over.

In other words, if the audio profile is changed on the copied-to clips, that strongly implies that you've previously made those same changes to the original clip.

If you start with a fresh clip and make the desired changes (again, I realize) and then copy the keyframe attributes, you shouldn't see any other changes on the clip(s) you copy them too. If you DO see an audio profile change when you've just re-created your desired effect on a clean clip, please post the details here and open a ticket with Cyberlink Tech Support.

Thank you for your reply - I agree entirely with your thoughts and yes in every case where the destination clip was copied to it is generally altered parameters that were unique to that clip. No changes to the destination clip were unexpected, it was just the unique parameters were unfortunately changed.

My practice now will be to do the "copy" and "paste" to every clip that needs the common blur mask - first thing. From then on any minor tweaks to said destination clips can take place but at leastt the global mask will be present where needed.

Thanks
Alan.
I use an effect (blur) to obscure a particular area on footage sourced from my dashcam and whilst I can copy keyframe attributes then paste them to other clips requiring the same treatment, it also changes other parameters such as audio profile etc.

Can I create an effect thats special then save it as a custom effect, as this would save me making the mask and then applying it with undesirable side effects but would also save it permanently for all future projects.

I seem to think should be possible but I can't find out how.

Thanks in anticipation
Alan.
Quote You can create a Pip and save it to room (Pip Objects)
Add Pip to the timeline, drag the new image over to Pip and select Replace.
I do not think the most practical and not all effects can be saved.

What I use most, select a sequence of photos to apply Magic Motion to all at once.
For more groups of photos I can also use Copy Keyframe attributes, from what is already done and Paste to all the selected photos.

I also use Project that already has Magic Motiom applied to the image.
You can replace the image or use Copy / Paste Attributes, for more photos.

Had a play.

Usinhg PiP objects works quite well and is good when all the images are the same duration, dropping an image on a PiP object thats not exactly the same duration and you are not offerred the Replace option. But what I do like is the ability to create a style (PiP object) save it and then its permanently in my collection for all future projects. Maybe what I do is create PiP objects that cover my most frequent durations, then I can also take into account the ability to ensure the same apparent motion for differeing durations. This has the real benefit that I do the hard work once and forever. Dragging a PiP object to the timeline and then dropping the real image on top for Replacement is going to be faster than what I was doing, namely scaling to keyframes by hand each image.

The second idea using copy/paste works better in that if the images are not all the same duration the style is applied and duly stretched (or shrunk) to apply to the whole of the image duration, albeit making the same change of scale thus appearing slower if the image duration is significantly longer.

Many thanks for your help - it has given me food for thought and will try all ideas over the next few projects to see what works best for how I work.

Alan.
Quote You can create a Pip and save it to room (Pip Objects)
Add Pip to the timeline, drag the new image over to Pip and select Replace.
I do not think the most practical and not all effects can be saved.

What I use most, select a sequence of photos to apply Magic Motion to all at once.
For more groups of photos I can also use Copy Keyframe attributes, from what is already done and Paste to all the selected photos.

I also use Project that already has Magic Motiom applied to the image.
You can replace the image or use Copy / Paste Attributes, for more photos.

Thank you - I am sure one of those might be useful - will report back after I've had a play.

Alan.
In PD16 is there any way of saving your custom motion style in Motion Designer (or anyhere else) so that you can apply it to other images?

I like to apply gentle zoom to still images and motion designer enables me to easily achieve this, but would be so much nicer if having tweaked my ideal motion I could then save it for later use on other images.

Cheers

Alan.

Hi,

As a general point on ongoing support, CL do run a support program for older versions. For example the last update for PDR15 was 2018-09-16, so I assume that PDR16 will continue to receive patches for a while yet.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Thank you - thats sounds good.

Just a small point am I right in assuming that each patch supercedes all the previous ones or replaces them. IE when I apply 2816 alone I do not need to apply 2524 and 2313 or does each patch stand alone and all need to be applied in any order?

Can I tell what patches have been applied to my current version?

TIA
Alan.
Having only been a PD16 user since last December what is the likelihood of further updates and bug cures for PD16 in the light of the release of PD17?

Does it continue to be worthwhile reporting issues to CL or are they just going to say - not interested - or, get PD17 that cures your problem?

I - like many others - do not see any reason for upgrading to PD17 (especially as it would cost me some 40% more than the original did last December) as the enhancements have virtaully no appeal to me - so do we have to live with the faults in PD16 while we await what might be a better deal in PD18?

Just curious and welcome comments from users whose relationship with the PD series goes way back further than mine does.
Go to: