Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
A rewrite is not necessary.
All of the Moovie Live stuff, Facebook integration, remote control server, Android device integration, DLNA functionality and whatnot, should be made optional.

After so many years, one would expect Cyberlink to have some understanding of what power users want.
We despise installing a video player and getting ourselves 500 MB in unwanted background processes, and having the player take 10 seconds to start up (yes, 10 seconds is a LOT) just because it's loading a monstruously cluttered UI we don't care about.

Streamlining is the key. Less is more.
Make these features optional during installation and save them for people who actually want them.

In an ideal world we would be able to buy PowerDVD without all of this stuff and pay less, but hey, we're not even asking for that much.
AFAICT, he's saying that if you try to switch to 3D while the window is in "restored" mode (ie not maximized), something doesn't work.

I think I have experienced this, and the result is that PowerDVD switches to fullscreen, but the picture is not 3D. Can't tell right now as I'm not home.
I've never seen the option to switch refresh rates.
My TV does support 24 Hz.
There have been no updates for PowerDVD 12, so there's no more than one public build in existence.
Maybe it's just me, but I could not find what that had to do with my problem.
Anyone can at least confirm?
Perhaps some software is showing tray popups or something? That causes a 2D program to get focus

Try disabling all background software (email clients, antivirus, torrent client, etc).

I don't know if it applies to projectors, but it does in HDMI 1.4 TVs, which require full screen for 3D.
There's not much to say.
I have selected HDMI audio output, and it works great for movie discs, but for video files, audio still comes out of my system default output, IE my analog speakers.

Sad thing is, while HDMI audio should go to a 5.1 HT that's properly laid out around my TV, where the video is to be seen, my analog speakers are a small 2.1 set on my desk, so you can guess it's definitely not a good experience.
Just thought I'd add that I ran the Blu-ray 3D advisor and it's a pass on all items, so it's only PowerDVD that's broken.
+1
Nobody wants Moovie Live and Facebook.
We just need the tech stuff to work right.
Well, I sure know I'm not talking about a final OS.
Just thought I could help you futureproof your product before the actual thing comes out, which is the whole point of them releasing a preview in the first place.

Also, I figured it had to be someting easily fixable, since I have several other 3D video players and PowerDVD is the only one that stopped working when I made the switch to Windows 8.
Your problem clearly does fall in the scenario described by that known problem.
Can I at least get an acknowledgement that you have read this and are aware that 3D is currently broken in Windows 8?
Any word on this?
All other 3D players and games work just fine in Windows 8.
This must be some capability check that PowerDVD is doing in a way that's pickier than really needed.
The update is listed there but there's no download link.
I recently switched to Windows 8 Developer Preview as my primary OS and it seems there's no way to get HDMI 1.4 3D from PowerDVD using an NVIDIA card.

When I try to switch to 3D, a message says "The content or device does not support this mode."

I tried both "HDMI 1.4" and "NVIDIA 3D Vision" modes, and tried enabling and disabling 3D Vision from NVIDIA's control panel.
I've also tried both the latest drivers from NVIDIA's site (285.38) and the ones delivered via Windows Update (285.16).
I'm on the latest patch (2114).

The same setup works without problems in Windows 7 (save for the problem I reported before where 3D doesn't work if you disable 3D Vision in NVIDIA's control panel).
Damn, I just noticed it's clarified in the updates page, and 2024 is still available for download.
Thanks for the reply.
Patches have never been incremental, so how would applying a 19 MB patch get you all the updates in the previous 102 MB patch?
Despite it not being mentioned in the changelog, I see this did get implemented in v2024.
Thanks for that.
OK, now, is it a limitation you're planning on overcoming any time soon?
It doesn't seem like something hard to implement and it's a make or break for any non-english speaker that intends to watch 3D films in its original audio language.
Well, I'd simply like to report that subtitles are not working in 3D video mode (they do work in 3D Blu-ray, of course).
As soon as you switch to 3D, the subtitles are gone.
Go to: