Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD = Bloatwares, Resource hug, Laggy...
PJay [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jun 09, 2009 13:53 Messages: 109 Offline
[Post New]
I wish PowerDVD12 will solve the problem of the previous version but it did not.

Bloatwares when you run and it connects to internet.
So many processes, memory hug.
Laggy user interface like when you right-click or choose an option from menu.
And so on...

The program should be rewritten. It's the only way.

R.I.P. PowerDVD
tHE uKER [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 14, 2011 21:14 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
A rewrite is not necessary.
All of the Moovie Live stuff, Facebook integration, remote control server, Android device integration, DLNA functionality and whatnot, should be made optional.

After so many years, one would expect Cyberlink to have some understanding of what power users want.
We despise installing a video player and getting ourselves 500 MB in unwanted background processes, and having the player take 10 seconds to start up (yes, 10 seconds is a LOT) just because it's loading a monstruously cluttered UI we don't care about.

Streamlining is the key. Less is more.
Make these features optional during installation and save them for people who actually want them.

In an ideal world we would be able to buy PowerDVD without all of this stuff and pay less, but hey, we're not even asking for that much.

This message was edited 12 times. Last update was at Feb 15. 2012 12:39

PJay [Avatar]
[Post New]
Exactly, but you didn't say about graphical user interface, beautiful but very bad.
It doesn't matter what system you are using.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 16. 2012 14:47

tHE uKER [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did mention it. UI = User Interface.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 16. 2012 16:42

PJay [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry, I missed it.

I like Cyberlink. That's why I report the problems.
I know it's not the topic they want but it's the truth.
Hope they read and fix it
tHE uKER [Avatar]
[Post New]
Absolutely.
I'm not bashing their product.
It's just that this would be so easy to fix it's a shame we are forced to deal with it.
Constructive criticism it is.
Raymond-Th [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 31, 2012 13:11 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I have to agree with whats being said here, PowerDVD is great with some tweaking (disabling of services) even on atom powered devices.

With the latest 12 version whenever the dnla server isnt running it spits out an exception. Not everyone wants mobile syncronisation or their media player to be a dnla server.

All thats needed is a checkbox during the install to give people who dont need or want these features an option to disable these services and remove these tabs from powerdvd.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 20. 2012 15:18

gia [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 20, 2012 15:06 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
This is not an attack like some imply. Agree the program is now bloated and NOT what powerusers want: background processes and services running amuck is out of the question. Symantec had a similar problem with its products for many years until its reputation was falling so much it finally rehauled and gave it a smaller footprint and less of a resource hog. Unfortunately it took them a long time to sit up and take notice. Another offender is the likes of Nero, look at it now, competely bloated and tentacled to the max -- and falling out of favor. Hope the coders do an about-face and slim this puppy down or at least turn off multiple processes and services and make them strictly optional to run. The marketing team is holding too much sway in its now too-quick and too-often development cycle.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 20. 2012 16:55

PJay [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for supporting PowerDVD. I've better experience with their forum than ticket support.

@gia: Exactly, and that's why I switched to Power2Go instead of Nero

But don't forget that the first big problem is the user interface since v11
[Post New]
I , too, like cyberlink and try to support rather than bash but problems are problems and shouldnt be watered down to sound nice if it also dilutes the meaning of the problem.
i have used one or many for a lot of years.. still have pdvd 8 though 12 on my different computers. most are full retail purchases the v8 is via blu ray players and burners. came with the purchase.
I have a fairly powerful computer 8gigs ram ddr3 1600, a phenomII x6 1090T, a 890FX board and 4 1 T harddrives and my boot drive is a crucial m4 128gig ssd. and an Asus eah 5870 gpu..
I still get menu hangs when trying to alter a setting or open the config in top bar or right click menu.
never ever had that in any previous players, and this is with a normal dvd or dvd file/iso. or ts..playing. bd , with aero off, still has even longer hangs, had had to stop with the not responding a few times with bd. i have no idea why the program should be stressing so much, the gpu is only using 15% or less and the 6 cores are not nearly full out only a few of them are getting to the 50% level (oc'd to 3.8/4.0g with boost) wish it would be fixed
[Post New]
I have to agree with the statements here. PowerDVD is way to bloated.

I would of payed the same price for a leaner version of ultra. Or at least give us power users the option to disable features we don't need/use. It uses about 30 megs of memory, in the background, when it's not even running.

Granted, with all the memory we have now days it's not really a issue. However, when you add in all the other software we have running/installed it all adds up and can cause significant system slow downs/lag.

Cyberlink, now days, LEANER is better/preferred with options (addons) we can add and/or turn off.