Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cap'n Kevin, many thanks for your suggestions. Will try them out first thing tomorrow.
Greetings!

I recently opened up a pds file that I recently made and wah lah, no sound. Now the
sound files are still there (please see attached file) but no sound.

I tried to open the file in PD11 in Win 8 and PD10 in Win 7 with the same result. I checked
preferences for any sound setting but found nothing relevant. Also sound is working just fine
in the computer in general. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Quote: I have no experience wth CL phone support, but have you tried asking any questions on the forum?

Hi Barry,
Yes, I have used the Forum before and have received a number of excellent responses. Unfortunately I hit the wall with the problem of losing the effects in a packed video folder. I have tried the suggestions the members generously provided here:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/27412.page

Unfortunately, nothing has worked for me as yet. I need someone who has a deep understanding of exactly how PD works to figure out the problem. I just don't know if the phone tech team is up to the task. Maybe they are, I just don't know. But they want payment in advance before you can talk to anyone and offer no guarantees as to solving the problem.
Cyberlink offers phone technical support for $29.95/60 days. This would be a bargain if in fact they solve some of the problems that I have been experiencing lately. But before I plunk down the cash, I would like some feedback from any of the members here in this forum as to any positive or negative experiences they had using this service.

Your comments would be appreciated. If I don't receive any, or if a number of the comments are positive, I will sign up and report back on my experience with the service. Thanks, John
Thanks guys for your suggestions. I appreciate your taking the time. I think this might be an unsolvable problem. Ynotfish, I did try opening from the C drive without any luck.

I think some of the problems might stem from my computer crashing and my having to disk image the drives back to a couple of weeks prior, although I don't see why that should effect anything because these videos were completed well before that.

Another problem I have is that I don't clearly understand how PD calls for the all the files that it needs. For example, PD calls for arrow1 which is simply a red arrow, the one I uploaded previously. So I browse for arrow1, it is accepted and appears in the library of the video, the panel on the left. But it does not appear in the timeline where it used to appear multiple times. Because this red arrow appeared several times in the video and was placed in different orientations and positions, PD must record each one of these changes in location and orientation. My guess is that each instance of the arrow used in the video is stored in the file "users/public/Cyberlink. I have all the files, I just don't know how to connect the dots in order to make the effect appear in the video the way they used to.

I don't mind paying $30 for Cyberlink support especially considering I have about 50 videos to deal with and to get the effects back would save me at least a months work. The only thing is I don't know how good that support is and whether or not they would be able to fix the problem. Has anyone here ever used it?

Quote: John -

I notice you have that packed folder on an external drive (LaCie). Have you tried transferring the packed folder to your C drive & opening from there? I don't know if that would make any difference, to be honest...

The .gif & .png files... were they in the timeline? or are they PiP Objects in the library?

Cheers - Tony

Tony, that is a very good idea. I'm turning in for the night, but I would very much like to respond to your suggestions tomorrow.
I also noticed that you are an Australian and my wife and I are contemplating moving to Down Under. I would love to be able to ask you some questions about the country. Thanks, John.
Quote: Hi John -

When you pack projects, it's not regular for customised effects to be packed in the folder. These generally have to be added manually.

e.g. I just packed a project that was a short clip with a particle effect & a paint animation. In the packed folder is the .pds file, the video clip & the .png file that was originally used to make the particle effect

Could you please select one example of an effect that isn't showing up when you open the project... describe exactly what it is (particle, PiP object or whatever) & what you did with it in your original project. Maybe post a screenshot of the open packed folder.

There has to be a simple reason for what you're seeing.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks Tony,

Here is a list of effects with a couple of examples.
Quote:

So the mystery remains because all the effects were in the timeline at the time the package was saved. So what am I missing here?

You tried to create a new package and see what happens.
I just drag the file [*. pds] into PD, and works normal.
PD11 and PD10 on the same PC.

Playsound, thanks for the suggestion. I created a new package but its the same old story, when I open the pds file, it doesn't evoke any of the effects but the effects are still there in the folder. I've tried opening the pds file with both PD10 and PD11 and on two different computers with the same result. Both the PD10 and PD11 are registered versions.
Quote:
I understand that project package already has everything inside.
PD will only ask to search file in case something missing that was deleted by us.
Note: The package contains only what was in the timeline, the time that the package was saved.

So the mystery remains because all the effects were in the timeline at the time the package was saved. So what am I missing here?
Hi Playsound,
I did try to open the pds file in both PD10 and PD11. The files are there in the Packed folder. What's really bothering me is that neither PD10 or PD11 is calling for the effects when I open the pds file. You know, it normally gives a panel where you can browse for and find the file, but it's not even doing that. Its like it forgot that the effects where ever there. I can't figure it out. The effects are right there in the folder.
Greetings!
I recently created a video with a number of effects using mainly .png and .gif files. After the editing process, I packed the video using the export/pack project materials option. I then checked to see that all the files were in the folder, which they were.

Now when I open the pds file that is in the folder with PD11, it does not evoke the effects, and just brings up the edited video and the narration without the effects. If anyone has any ideas about how I can get the effects back into the video I would greatly appreciate hearing about them. Thanks in advance. John
Hi Playsound,

Well I tried changing the registry as you suggested, unfortunately the bad resolution problem still remains a mystery. Unless you or anyone else has any other suggestions, I'll swap the graphics cards of the computers and see what happens. I guess it will have to be a process of elimination. Thanks, for the suggestion. please let me know if you think of anything else. John
I saw topic here where one partner indicated change the render PD10 to solve a problem with preview, unfortunately I did not find the topic containing the folder location where PD make the modification.
Change to render WMV7 to WMV9, I did here just out of curiosity, the preview was very bad, I returned to WMV7 was normal.
I do not know if this has to do with your case, just reminded me of what happened to me.

Hi playsound,

I went to Produce/WMV/Profile Type and all I had was Windows Media Video 9, no wmv7. Is that what you are talking about?
What I'm talking about is the preview window when you are editing.
Thanks,
John
Cranston, I viewed those videos that you recommended. I only wish that I knew about them when I started the editing process. Everyone starting out with PD should watch them. They are invaluable. Many thanks, John
Hi Tony,
Thanks for posting. Both computers are 64 bit. PD10 runs like a dream on the new computer. Except for the preview resolution it would be great because the new computer is five times faster than the old one. Unfortunately, because I do such detailed videos, working a lot with small moving text and numbers, editing becomes extremely difficult when everything is out of focus. Even when I switch to the media viewer, it is still unreadable. John
As I mentioned in another post, my computer was crashing every twenty minutes or so I ordered up a new computer on Amazon. I like the computer, but even though PD10 runs much faster now, the preview resolution is, at best, half of what it was on the old computer. All the settings are exactly the same, i.e. the ones in preferences and under the Launch Media Viewer Icon, High Preview Resolution and Real Time Preview are checked just as they were in the old computer. By the way, the old computer was on Win 7, the new one is now on Win 8 but that shouldn't matter.

So the only thing that I can think of is that the graphics card in the old computer is somehow better than the new graphics card, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But before I swap out these cards, I thought that I would get some other opinions of what may be happening here. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Cranston, I can't thank you enough! I have my files spewed out into so many folders, no wonder PD10 can't find them. I rearranged them the way you suggested and now my narration and effects are starting to come back. If there is anything out there on the proper way to arrange folders please let me know. You made my day. . . . hell, you made my month!
Thanks Cranston and playsound. So Cranston, I very much appreciate your suggestions and will be following them this morning and will be posting the results later today. Thanks again.
I've been working on the production of over 50 videos for the last six months. Recently my computer crashed, the hard drive being on its last legs only being able to stay up 20 minutes at a time before I get the BSOD and it crashes again. So I bought a new computer with the same Win 7 OS.

All my video work output was stored on a external hard drive, so I thought that I would have no problem pulling up the finished PDS files with PD10 once I got the new computer set up. Unfortunately, when I opened the PDS video files, the narration along with the effects had disappeared. Obviously, I am disheartened by this possible loss of time and effort. When I open the PDS video, PD10 can't find the AVI, so I point it to where that file is located on the hard drive and that's all good but it doesn't ask about the narration portion or the effects. They were there in the PDS files before and were saved correctly.

So the PDS file opens with the video in the timeline with all the clip editing but none of the narration or effects.

I would greatly appreciate some incite in to how this might have happened and as to a possible solution as to how to restore these PDS files. All the wav files and effects have been untouched and are still on the external hard dive, so I have no idea as to why this is happening.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this. John
I am importing an AVI file into PD 10 for the purpose of the editing and adding narration. The narration clips rather small, approximately with 20 seconds each on average and I have a whole string of them filling up 15 minute length videos. I'm having a constant problem with the narration drifting off of the video in respect to synchronization of these clips. (I'm using PD's Voice Over Recording Room.) When I attempt to match up the audio and video and start at the beginning and go to the end, when I go back to the beginning, the beginning is off again, and so it is a never ending process that never gets resolved.
I'm not doing anything complicated here, so I don't know why I should be having a synchronization problem. It's almost a though PD does not have the ability to lock the audio to the video in any kind of stable manner. I've read a few of the posts regarding synchronization problems others have had, but they were always doing more complicated things.

I have absolutely no idea how to correct this problem, so any help given would be much appreciated.

Thanks, John
Go to: