Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PDS File in Packed Folder Fails to Evoke Effects
TraderJohn [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 31, 2012 16:03 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Greetings!
I recently created a video with a number of effects using mainly .png and .gif files. After the editing process, I packed the video using the export/pack project materials option. I then checked to see that all the files were in the folder, which they were.

Now when I open the pds file that is in the folder with PD11, it does not evoke the effects, and just brings up the edited video and the narration without the effects. If anyone has any ideas about how I can get the effects back into the video I would greatly appreciate hearing about them. Thanks in advance. John TraderJohn
[Post New]
Quote: Greetings!
I recently created a video with a number of effects using mainly .png and .gif files. After the editing process, I packed the video using the export/pack project materials option. I then checked to see that all the files were in the folder, which they were.

Now when I open the pds file that is in the folder with PD11, it does not evoke the effects, and just brings up the edited video and the narration without the effects. If anyone has any ideas about how I can get the effects back into the video I would greatly appreciate hearing about them. Thanks in advance. John

You still have PD10, try to open your project for him.
In some effects PD11 moved.
Test made ​​with three packages made ​​in PD10.
After normal PD11.
Particles, text, Pip, everything works
Does not contain these effects, EffectRoom (F4)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 08. 2013 18:02

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
TraderJohn [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Playsound,
I did try to open the pds file in both PD10 and PD11. The files are there in the Packed folder. What's really bothering me is that neither PD10 or PD11 is calling for the effects when I open the pds file. You know, it normally gives a panel where you can browse for and find the file, but it's not even doing that. Its like it forgot that the effects where ever there. I can't figure it out. The effects are right there in the folder. TraderJohn
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Playsound,
I did try to open the pds file in both PD10 and PD11. The files are there in the Packed folder. What's really bothering me is that neither PD10 or PD11 is calling for the effects when I open the pds file. You know, it normally gives a panel where you can browse for and find the file, but it's not even doing that. Its like it forgot that the effects where ever there. I can't figure it out. The effects are right there in the folder.

I understand that project package already has everything inside.
PD will only ask to search file in case something missing that was deleted by us.
Note: The package contains only what was in the timeline, the time that the package was saved. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
TraderJohn [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
I understand that project package already has everything inside.
PD will only ask to search file in case something missing that was deleted by us.
Note: The package contains only what was in the timeline, the time that the package was saved.

So the mystery remains because all the effects were in the timeline at the time the package was saved. So what am I missing here? TraderJohn
[Post New]

So the mystery remains because all the effects were in the timeline at the time the package was saved. So what am I missing here?

You tried to create a new package and see what happens.
I just drag the file [*. pds] into PD, and works normal.
PD11 and PD10 on the same PC. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
TraderJohn [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:

So the mystery remains because all the effects were in the timeline at the time the package was saved. So what am I missing here?

You tried to create a new package and see what happens.
I just drag the file [*. pds] into PD, and works normal.
PD11 and PD10 on the same PC.

Playsound, thanks for the suggestion. I created a new package but its the same old story, when I open the pds file, it doesn't evoke any of the effects but the effects are still there in the folder. I've tried opening the pds file with both PD10 and PD11 and on two different computers with the same result. Both the PD10 and PD11 are registered versions. TraderJohn
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi John -

When you pack projects, it's not regular for customised effects to be packed in the folder. These generally have to be added manually.

e.g. I just packed a project that was a short clip with a particle effect & a paint animation. In the packed folder is the .pds file, the video clip & the .png file that was originally used to make the particle effect

Could you please select one example of an effect that isn't showing up when you open the project... describe exactly what it is (particle, PiP object or whatever) & what you did with it in your original project. Maybe post a screenshot of the open packed folder.

There has to be a simple reason for what you're seeing.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
TraderJohn [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi John -

When you pack projects, it's not regular for customised effects to be packed in the folder. These generally have to be added manually.

e.g. I just packed a project that was a short clip with a particle effect & a paint animation. In the packed folder is the .pds file, the video clip & the .png file that was originally used to make the particle effect

Could you please select one example of an effect that isn't showing up when you open the project... describe exactly what it is (particle, PiP object or whatever) & what you did with it in your original project. Maybe post a screenshot of the open packed folder.

There has to be a simple reason for what you're seeing.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks Tony,

Here is a list of effects with a couple of examples.
[Thumb - Effects.jpg]
 Filename
Effects.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Effects
 Filesize
189 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
105 time(s)
[Thumb - arrow1.jpg]
 Filename
arrow1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
arrow1
 Filesize
13 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
97 time(s)
[Thumb - Red Line.jpg]
 Filename
Red Line.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Red Line
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
108 time(s)
TraderJohn
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
John -

I notice you have that packed folder on an external drive (LaCie). Have you tried transferring the packed folder to your C drive & opening from there? I don't know if that would make any difference, to be honest...

The .gif & .png files... were they in the timeline? or are they PiP Objects in the library?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
TraderJohn [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: John -

I notice you have that packed folder on an external drive (LaCie). Have you tried transferring the packed folder to your C drive & opening from there? I don't know if that would make any difference, to be honest...

The .gif & .png files... were they in the timeline? or are they PiP Objects in the library?

Cheers - Tony

Tony, that is a very good idea. I'm turning in for the night, but I would very much like to respond to your suggestions tomorrow.
I also noticed that you are an Australian and my wife and I are contemplating moving to Down Under. I would love to be able to ask you some questions about the country. Thanks, John.
TraderJohn
[Post New]
Playsound, thanks for the suggestion. I created a new package but its the same old story, when I open the pds file, it doesn't evoke any of the effects but the effects are still there in the folder. I've tried opening the pds file with both PD10 and PD11 and on two different computers with the same result. Both the PD10 and PD11 are registered versions.

You could create a project summary from this, make sure that the same problem, post here, so we could download and analyze in our PC.

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
TraderJohn [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks guys for your suggestions. I appreciate your taking the time. I think this might be an unsolvable problem. Ynotfish, I did try opening from the C drive without any luck.

I think some of the problems might stem from my computer crashing and my having to disk image the drives back to a couple of weeks prior, although I don't see why that should effect anything because these videos were completed well before that.

Another problem I have is that I don't clearly understand how PD calls for the all the files that it needs. For example, PD calls for arrow1 which is simply a red arrow, the one I uploaded previously. So I browse for arrow1, it is accepted and appears in the library of the video, the panel on the left. But it does not appear in the timeline where it used to appear multiple times. Because this red arrow appeared several times in the video and was placed in different orientations and positions, PD must record each one of these changes in location and orientation. My guess is that each instance of the arrow used in the video is stored in the file "users/public/Cyberlink. I have all the files, I just don't know how to connect the dots in order to make the effect appear in the video the way they used to.

I don't mind paying $30 for Cyberlink support especially considering I have about 50 videos to deal with and to get the effects back would save me at least a months work. The only thing is I don't know how good that support is and whether or not they would be able to fix the problem. Has anyone here ever used it?

TraderJohn
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks guys for your suggestions. I appreciate your taking the time. I think this might be an unsolvable problem. Ynotfish, I did try opening from the C drive without any luck.

I think some of the problems might stem from my computer crashing and my having to disk image the drives back to a couple of weeks prior, although I don't see why that should effect anything because these videos were completed well before that.

Support Cyberlink works, already used sometimes to problems with PD11, can take 1,2 or 3 days to reply.
As I understand you created a PIP effect, and used often by modifying Paramenters.
You have to create the effect PIP again and give the same name, maybe it works.

I think a custom effect that was totally perdito, has no magic that will solve or Cyberlink.
I would try to recreate the effect of giving the same name to save the library and hope PD recognize the place of the effect lost.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 12. 2013 17:20

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3