Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Where is the Sound?
TraderJohn [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 31, 2012 16:03 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Greetings!

I recently opened up a pds file that I recently made and wah lah, no sound. Now the
sound files are still there (please see attached file) but no sound.

I tried to open the file in PD11 in Win 8 and PD10 in Win 7 with the same result. I checked
preferences for any sound setting but found nothing relevant. Also sound is working just fine
in the computer in general. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
[Thumb - 2013-03-20_154105.jpg]
 Filename
2013-03-20_154105.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Time Line
 Filesize
321 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
104 time(s)
TraderJohn
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Trader John! Greetings to you!

The avi files you are using are encoded with mp3 audio. This can be very problematic in video editing software. You might get lucky and right click on the video clip in the media room and select "extract audio". This would generally give you a seperate audio file from your video clip in the form of a wav audio file. If it does, and it might not, then you can use the wav file instead. You could mute the video clip on the timeline and
Place the wav file underneath on a separate audio track. Or right click on the timeline and " unlink" the audio from the video. Select the audio track on the timeline, right click it, and remove it. Replace the audio with the extracted wav file from the Media Room.

OR .....

You may need to run the avi video clips through a video converter to make them useable and more reliable. Try Format Factory. Here is a topic where the user had a video file with a mp3 audio encoded like yours. He had a positive outcome.

Read it here:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/27447.page

Good Luck!

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 20. 2013 18:02

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
TraderJohn [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 31, 2012 16:03 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Cap'n Kevin, many thanks for your suggestions. Will try them out first thing tomorrow. TraderJohn
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Trader John,

Just another 2 cents here.

I notice in your screen shot that the audio in the 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th audio segments, do not display what is usually referred to as a “rubber band” (the white line going down the middle of the audio waveform).
But the 2nd segment does.
Does this 2nd audio (that does show a Rubber Band), have sound upon playback? If not and it also silent, then you can skip the rest of this reply.

Obviously you have unlinked the audio in the first clip.
I assume you have done the same with the others for that Live Trading 09-05-10.avi shown in your screen shot.

The only way I can get a Rubber Band to disappear on my end, is to right click on an audio segment and choose the Mute Audio option in the menu.
Have you checked to verify that some of your audio wasn’t accidently somehow muted?
I also notice that the 2nd clip that does show a Rubber Band, is the only one that hasn’t had any Tool or Fix/Enhancement applied to it, indicated by the little orange “i” icon.

I’ve also had the Master Volume move itself to zero sometimes. Don’t know why it does, but you might check that too.

All just a thought, though none may be related to the cause of your missing audio issue.

[Thumb - RubberBand.png]
 Filename
RubberBand.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
158 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
243 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 20. 2013 20:18

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Cranston,

It did seem odd that all of the audio tracks showed a developed wave form on the timeline, yet no sound?

Do you think applying a certain "Power Tool" or "Fix Enhance" might somehow disable the audio to those specific audio segments? It might be as you indicated, that the audio clips are simply muted? Wouldn't that be an easy solution!

You really looked close at his screenshot Cranston! I always learn things from your observations!

Kevin
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Do you think applying a certain "Power Tool" or "Fix Enhance" might somehow disable the audio to those specific audio segments?

I don't think I've ever had it happen here. But it is coincidental that the band appears on the only segment that's not altered. So perhaps there is some connection. We'll just have to see what TJ replies with when he tracks down the issue.

_________________________________________________________________________________ Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
And it would be interesting if the fact that the audio in his video clips encoded in mp3 was directly affected by the applied "tools" or "fix/enhance" causing the audio to fail and be silent. Never seen that before.

It would be helpful to get some insight from Cyberlink regarding mp3's and there use in Power Director. After all Mp3 files are widely used.

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 20. 2013 20:52