Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What Happened to the Preview Resolution?
TraderJohn [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 31, 2012 16:03 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
As I mentioned in another post, my computer was crashing every twenty minutes or so I ordered up a new computer on Amazon. I like the computer, but even though PD10 runs much faster now, the preview resolution is, at best, half of what it was on the old computer. All the settings are exactly the same, i.e. the ones in preferences and under the Launch Media Viewer Icon, High Preview Resolution and Real Time Preview are checked just as they were in the old computer. By the way, the old computer was on Win 7, the new one is now on Win 8 but that shouldn't matter.

So the only thing that I can think of is that the graphics card in the old computer is somehow better than the new graphics card, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But before I swap out these cards, I thought that I would get some other opinions of what may be happening here. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
TraderJohn
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi TraderJohn -

I'm just fishing here... is your new PC a 64-bit OS or 32-bit?

It used to be the case that HD & Full HD preview resolutions were only available if you were running PD on a 64-bit system. I'm not sure if that still applies, or whether Win8 has some impact.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
TraderJohn [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony,
Thanks for posting. Both computers are 64 bit. PD10 runs like a dream on the new computer. Except for the preview resolution it would be great because the new computer is five times faster than the old one. Unfortunately, because I do such detailed videos, working a lot with small moving text and numbers, editing becomes extremely difficult when everything is out of focus. Even when I switch to the media viewer, it is still unreadable. John TraderJohn
[Post New]
Quote: As I mentioned in another post, my computer was crashing every twenty minutes or so I ordered up a new computer on Amazon. I like the computer, but even though PD10 runs much faster now, the preview resolution is, at best, half of what it was on the old computer. All the settings are exactly the same, i.e. the ones in preferences and under the Launch Media Viewer Icon, High Preview Resolution and Real Time Preview are checked just as they were in the old computer. By the way, the old computer was on Win 7, the new one is now on Win 8 but that shouldn't matter.

So the only thing that I can think of is that the graphics card in the old computer is somehow better than the new graphics card, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But before I swap out these cards, I thought that I would get some other opinions of what may be happening here. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I saw topic here where one partner indicated change the render PD10 to solve a problem with preview, unfortunately I did not find the topic containing the folder location where PD make the modification.
Change to render WMR7 to WMR9, I did here just out of curiosity, the preview was very bad, I returned to WMR7 was normal.
I do not know if this has to do with your case, just reminded me of what happened to me.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 26. 2013 16:15

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
TraderJohn [Avatar]
[Post New]
I saw topic here where one partner indicated change the render PD10 to solve a problem with preview, unfortunately I did not find the topic containing the folder location where PD make the modification.
Change to render WMV7 to WMV9, I did here just out of curiosity, the preview was very bad, I returned to WMV7 was normal.
I do not know if this has to do with your case, just reminded me of what happened to me.

Hi playsound,

I went to Produce/WMV/Profile Type and all I had was Windows Media Video 9, no wmv7. Is that what you are talking about?
What I'm talking about is the preview window when you are editing.
Thanks,
John TraderJohn
[Post New]
Hi playsound,

I went to Produce/WMV/Profile Type and all I had was Windows Media Video 9, no wmv7. Is that what you are talking about?
What I'm talking about is the preview window when you are editing.
Thanks,
John

If you want to try to modify the Start / Search programs and files box, type "regedit" + Enter
Search the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ CyberLink \ PowerDirector \ 10.0
In line VideoRender, right-clicks, Modify, replace 7 by 9 by 9 or 7, OK.
Need to close and open PD to take effect, PD10 and PD11 in checked.
Another PC may have different result

I looked up to find the place here in the registry, see image.

[Thumb - render preview.jpg]
 Filename
render preview.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
229 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
342 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Feb 27. 2013 09:29

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
TraderJohn [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Playsound,

Well I tried changing the registry as you suggested, unfortunately the bad resolution problem still remains a mystery. Unless you or anyone else has any other suggestions, I'll swap the graphics cards of the computers and see what happens. I guess it will have to be a process of elimination. Thanks, for the suggestion. please let me know if you think of anything else. John TraderJohn
mborland [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sun Prairie USA Joined: Jan 03, 2012 10:32 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Same problem here, sort of. Just refreshed my machine. Clean install, and now my preview is loooowwww resolution. For the life of me I can't figure what changed. I'll try the registry hack, worth a shot.

Nope, still low res.

Weird, it's only when I drop it to the timeline. In the media library all is good. Then I drag it down to the timeline, and the resolution drops.

Win7-64
AMD HD 6770
I-5 2500K
16 g memory. Terabytes of space

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Mar 03. 2013 17:55

[Post New]
Quote: Same problem here, sort of. Just refreshed my machine. Clean install, and now my preview is loooowwww resolution. For the life of me I can't figure what changed. I'll try the registry hack, worth a shot.

Nope, still low res.

Weird, it's only when I drop it to the timeline. In the media library all is good. Then I drag it down to the timeline, and the resolution drops.

Win7-64
AMD HD 6770
I-5 2500K
16 g memory. Terabytes of space

That's right, the video in the timeline has several quality options, you choose what is best for viewing without hampering progress.
The more quality but demands processor.
Here with this Signature PC, see picture

[Thumb - preview quality.jpg]
 Filename
preview quality.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
37 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
272 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Mar 03. 2013 18:40

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi mborland ,
Please read the forum Guide: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24625.page
Start a new topic please.
Forum Moderator