Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote: That's a Smartsound track, right?
It's copyrighted, but royalty free. All SS music is. You can ignore the "alert", or contest it if you wish.
I have several alerts, but I've never had a video pulled or silenced.

That's exactly right. SmartSound charges users a fairly hefty fee for much of the music they provide. We have some free examples available in PD, but the SS company is making a lot of money- they can afford to offer some free samples. But they're the ones responsible for paying a fee for copyrighted music they provide.

Most all music written and published in the last 100 years is protected by copyright. You Tube is covering some legal issues about copyrighted material by issuing those "warnings" on almost anything uploaded there which includes audio or video from other sources. They used to be much more lax about all that, and got in trouble - now these warnings are in place, on the advice of their legal team.

But - no worries. SS has paid a fee for all copyrighted music they use - that's why it's royalty free to users.

Randy B.
Hi, Skeeter - I am anything but an expert. I've only had PD for a little while, and I don't have a lot of time to work with it. I know, since I've gotten so much great help here, that there are others who could give you some deeper info.

What my post was trying to say was that at the highest MPEG 2 quality setting for a DVD, projects which are over an hour in length are going to be reported as too large to fit in the 4.7 DVD folder - but that analysis by PD is incorrect.

If such a project is burned to an 8.5 folder at the same highest setting, then the program will allow the burn which was supposedly too big for 4.7 - but the resulting DVD data will be under 4.7 - It should have fit, but PD doesn't let you do it. So you trick the program by selecting an 8.5 folder - you can use the highest quality available for regular DVDs (MPEG 2) and there you'll have your high quality final product.

EDIT: But the data size of the source material can vary so much - What I've been explaining here was what I found when using an AVI file from online which is of lower quality than what a user would get from a nice digital camera. So times I've mentioned, like an hour of video- that's all relative to the quality of the source material.

rbowser
Over the course of several threads shortly after I first started using PD, several "old timer" experts here confirmed the observation that when you set up to a project to folder, the size of the project as determined by PD is totally wrong. PD's figures are always way too large.

But the sticky part is that if you trust those project size figures, and choose a lower quality video in order to make it fit on a regular disc - you end up tremendously reducing video size for no reason.

I'm here to help other newbies - I see questions about burning come up often. The advice I was given which works great is this:

--Just set the disc size setting at 8.5 even if you're not really using a double density disc.
--Ignore PD's red flag saying the project will be too big for the disc.
--Burn to folder (never straight to disc).
--Take a look - the video's final size is extremely smaller than PD's analysis, it's way under 4.4 gigs, and it Will fit on one disc.

Last night, for instance, an hour and 10 minute project fit in a single disc folder at the highest quality settings, with plenty of room left - the vid's final size was around 3.4 gigs.

rbowser
Quote: Hi there Randy -

Those files in the recycle bin? Have you checked to see what they are?

Are they temp files? What setting have you chosen under Preferences > General > Auto delete temporary files?

I have my PC set to just automatically delete files, so I don't get to see what's in the Recycle Bin (which, of course, doesn't recycle anything).

Cheers - Tony

Hi, Tony

I'll look more carefully next time, but I'm pretty sure they were folders of menu items. In PD Preferences, I have temp files on auto delete every day, the most often available.

Hmmmm, I always manually delete. Un-needed back up copies of projects, dud versions of things, and I prefer to always have the warning pop-up "Are you sure you want to delete." I always know what's in my Recycle Bin, and it's rare for anything to stay in there more than five minutes.

The odd thing is that I've never seen any program, in all these years, that uses a computer's Recycle Bin this way. If there's a temp file the program doesn't need, it goes into a temp folder and either goes >poof!< when the program is closed, or when the computer is shut down.

I guess it doesn't matter - It just strikes as such odd programming. Oh well!

rbowser
Quote: I for one, pretty much gave up on trying to customize PD menus.

I either use one of the default menus or get one I like from Director's Zone.

Now, don't get me wrong, I can edit a PD menu, within limits. The effort is not worth the hassle....

Good advice, Carl, because I agree that it's not worth the frustration.

Getting a menu from DZ and editing itis mostly what I've been doing. So far those have been a compromise to me, because of the "flashing lights and dancing girls" style of those templates - I end up taking as much out as I know how to, but still end up with menus I don't care for. SO, thought I'd try from scratch again. Oh well!

rbowser
I commented on this early in my usage of PD - but it still baffles me. After working on a project, there are always over 50 items in my computer's recycle bin--and not from me deleting files--the program does it. Very odd--But, I was told before it's normal, so I guess it is. Just can't figure out why the program is doing that, instead of just evaporating whatever it is it doesn't need to use from the session?

rbowser
+1 to the advice to work with .wav files. I understand, A.Gil, that you're probably using audio you found in the MP3 format - but that's a compressed audio file meant for easy distribution on the internet, not for tasks like editing video.

If you're doing your own audio, definitely work in the .wav format. If you're dealing with found audio which has already been reduced to the MP3 format, then get any of the hundreds of programs which can convert it to .wav. You won't have any improved sonic quality, since it's already been compromised by the MP3 compression, but at least it will work in PD and other video editing programs.

rbowser
oK--well here's another one. I'm trying to edit another template - I try to add more buttons, more chapters to the chapter menu - I add them, but when I click the "set button layout," the added buttons disappear, and I'm only given the option of how to layout ONE chapter item.

Last time I did this, it displayed how many chapters I actually had on the page--this time, there's only one - so I try to drag the chapter thumbnails around by hand, and that can kind of work, but it gets messy.

Argh!

rbowser
Yes - And now that I've just watched a foreign film tonight, it makes me wonder if part of the issue with this menu perplexity in PD is because Cyberlink isn't an English or U.S. company, and we've been given something which hasn't been quite translated for us well. Maybe "item 1-3," for instance, should have been labeled something else for us to more intuitively understand.

It does still seem like a basic programming error - or I have to experiment more to figure out what is intended, - but the way you're given these choices for menu buttons on the first screen of a menu,--but it turns out you can't really directly work with Them, you're supposed to be working with the "items"--when there's no way of seeing that the two things are related. Once the items were transparent - that erased my buttons, even though they were plainly visible in the thumbnail of the custom menu I designed.

I'd been making menus that worked well enough previous to today, but my problem tonight was when I chose to make the title and items transparent--I just wanted to get rid of them, or at least the Title, since it was in my graphic. That was my mistake.

But some time ago I'd discovered the limit to how many chapters can be on a screen, and I can live with that. I'd also wrestled for hours when I accidentally had some items overlapping - the warning dialogue for that was of no help at all, no clues what I was supposed to do to correct it. I just kept making the font smaller, and moving text farther and farther away from the thumbnails-- until the results looked crappy, but at least PD would accept the results.

Very odd, messy menu system. How I wish for a simple, straight-forward menu making system where you just plop text where you want it, have it linked to chapters - and get on with it.

Thanks for the added feedback, Carl.

rbowser

Quote:

Join the club!

The Menu System in Powerdirector is messed up. But you learn to live with it or use No Menu.
I wish for a TEXT only menu system, get rid of the thumbnails.

PD Menu is limited in how many items you can put on the scenes pages depending on the content. DVD=6 Max, BD (Bluray)=4 Max.

Lord help if you overlap items, you may never figure out what the error message means.
Carl, you are such a constant source of info and patient response - I want you to know I really admire you for that.

This is the first time I've seen an explanation of what "items 1 through 3" actually were on the menu templates. I couldn't make heads nor tails of them.

And a light bulb goes on from reading your response - I only wanted a poster image on the front page, along with navigation buttons. Following advice on another thread, I made all the text items totally transparent, since I didn't want the title (it's in the poster) and I didn't get what the "items" were." That explains why I didn't see anything but the poster when I applied the custom menu to my project--

Or does it--? Why, when using the custom template dialogue, does it have all the tabs and options for adding navigation buttons when they don't actually seem to work? Just like on the chapter menus, I chose a navigation button style, moved them to where I want - it was logical for me to think they'd then be there and available when I chose that custom template for the project. See what I mean?

So you're saying that all that dialogue for adding buttons on the first screen should be ignored I guess? It's the "items" that I should be working with - I can't apply buttons to those items?

Your answer helps in some degree, but I still don't understand what all the choices are listed for on that first page, if they don't actually show up - !

--side note--From Day One of using PD, this convoluted menu process has been the weirdest part of the program for me. I learned video editing on a different program where making a menu was extremely straight forward. You just chose the elements you wanted, and added them--and there was no mystery about what the outcome would be.

rbowser

Quote:
What am I doing wrong do you think?

Trying to change the text on the first page.

If you edit an existing Menu in Modify Menu, you will notice that the first page has.
Three items:
Item 1
Item 2
Item 3

Those are place holders. Item 1 get replaced with the Play button, Item 2 gets replaced with the Scenes button. and Item 3 is Subtitles if any.

You should leave the text items on the first page alone. You can change the background image, but that is about all you can change safely on the first page.

You can move the position of those three items on the create disk page, simply by dragging with the mouse, not in Modify menu.
I really don't care for any available menus I've found so far, they're just too much for me. So again I tried to make one from scratch.

I've been trying to get the navigation buttons to show up on the first screen. The chapter pages all work, but after selecting the button style I want for the first screen, and placing them where I want, and it looks just the way I want in the thumbnail - once I apply it to the video, there are no navigation buttons on that first screen.

I did 5 versions, trying different locations for the buttons - on the black space, over the imported picture - but nothing shows up. I had to give up - What I have are yellow circles, unmarked or labeled, and they're not in the places where I placed my navigation buttons. The top one is for Play, the second one is for selecting chapters--fine, I can keep that straight - but it's a bit obscure, and I wouldn't be able to give a disc like that to someone and expect them to figure it out.

What am I doing wrong do you think?

rbowser
Hmm, that doesn't sound right. I'm on PD9, but Rich Video was definitely part of the installation. It's in a folder in PD's Program File folder. I don't know why you would have to install it separately.

RB
Quote:
Quote: I don't know why on other threads people were saying you had to use the "swing" effect. This is much better.

Probably because those suggestions where made in the PD"9" forum, not here in the PD10 forum.
And because this free form AR adjustment tool is not available in PD"9", but is only available as a new feature exclusive to the new PD10.

Ha! Yes, well now that would explain it!

Thanks for the explanation, Cranston. I keep getting fouled up on what forum I'm on. I get an auto-email about a topic, I click, read, respond - and when it's early morning, and I'm sipping my first cuppa joe - I don't notice where I am!

It's good to know that PD now has the perspective tool - it's a very useful thing to have.

RB
Quote: Hi RB,

Glad my little rant helped you. "Warp"/ "Change Perspective" as long as it works for you, we all win.

Yeah, it's great - I don't know why on other threads people were saying you had to use the "swing" effect. This is much better.

RB
Hey--I didn't know about this! I thought from previous threads that people were saying we couldn't work with changing the perspective, except to use the "swing" effect, which has its limitations.

I mean, you said "warp," but I think you mean changing the perspective i.e. one side is shorter than the other - right?

This is great - Thanks for pointing it out!

RB
--But I thought this "rich video" feature was part of the PD installation. ?

RB
That is a strange omission in PD - the inability to produce whatever segment of a project we want. In my previous video software, I got very spoiled with the ability to export/render/produce just the "work area," which was delineated with time line markers--something like the yellow ones in PD which don't seem to serve much purpose.

The work around works - but it's such an odd and clumsy routine needed for what I thought was a pretty basic task of video software.

rbowser
Well, it's a rhetorical question. I can see they're gone. But now that the PD10 forum is set up, all those helpful posts are suddenly gone from this forum?--- Makes me feel like I'm back in some kind of prehistoric age with PD9, with a forum no longer needed, even though I've used PD9 for less than 2 months now!--and, I'll add, I have no plans of spending yet more money on a new program any time soon.

rbowser
When audio and/or video is sped up, that indicates a sample rate mis-match. Most video programs use 48 kHz, but if a 44.2 kHz file is played, the result is a speeding up. I'm not positive, but I think PD doesn't seem to use 48 like most other programs.

Now, why your computer seems to be using a different rate than your old one---??

RB
Quote: Hello
I install PD 9 correctly with sérial : when i run the program i have the logo and ...... NOTHING !!!
...I had the same problem with PD 6 !

Why did you upgrade when you had the same non-functioning problem on your computer with an earlier version of PD-?

RB
Yes, I recognize the behavior you're describing. I haven't used PD9 for all that long, but slow, jerky playback like that has always been the way the program works for me.--Not sure it's all that unusual.

RB
Go to: