Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Never mind, thanks for your help but I just talked to Cyberlink support and their answer was: There is no guarantee at all that any prior content packs you have or purchased will work with any new upgraded version of PD. In other words, the content pack I have in version 11 "Romance" will not work with my PD version 12, and if I decide I might want to upgrade to PD version 13, maybe you keep your content packs and maybe you don't. Seems like a weird way to incentivize me to upgrade. Thanks anyway.
Thanks. Yes, we got lost somewhere. Apparently, then, the new version of PD 12 SHOULD have seen and integrated the prior Romance Pack that was in the prior installed PD version 11 but did not.

As I stated before, the Romance pack is installed correctly and appears correctly when you use the Movie Magic Wizard in version 11 but does not appear in version 12.

Is there any way to get version 12 to recognize and use the Romance Pack that was installed correctly in version 11 and is still on the computer?
Ok, thanks. That sort of answers my question then. In other words, when you install an upgrade it does not automatically import the Content packs from prior versions of PD that are already on your machine. You must reinstall the previous content packs of the prior versions by executing them again. I will try that, thanks. Is there any place anywhere on the Cyberlink support site that talks about how to upgrade from one version to another?? What a guessing game!!
Thanks but my question was "how" do I reinstall or import the previous packages into the newest version of PD..I know they are there. Thanks
For example, when I open PD v11 and look at the Movie Magic Wizard, and look at the various Style selections, I see Romance and Romance 2 as style options but when I open PD v12 and look at Movie Magic Wizard I see those style options are no longer there.

I can see that all the PD versions of these various Content Packs are stored in c:\Program Files (x86)\Cyberlink\templates where I have three different versions of PowerDirectors but how do I import the templates of one version into the newer version of PD?? It doesnt seem to happen automatially. Help?
Thanks for your reply! However, comparing the version 11 with the version 12, I see that version 11 came with a "Romance" pack and version 12 did not. Can I reuse the Romance pack after I delete the version 11 from my machine? How?? Do I reinstall it in version 12? How??

I decided not to get version 13 after reading all the negative comments about it in the forum. And this terrible upgrade method does not inspire me to get version 13 as I want to keep especially the Travel pack.

Thanks for any additional help.
I am sure this question has been asked before but please indulge me. I have spent an hour trying to find the answer to this. I have just upgraded from PowerDirector v 11 to v12..when I installed version 12 it did not see the already installed version 11 I had on the machine..however I was able to input the CD Key or activation key and version 12 installed ok. However, it installed alonside version 11 and did not delete it (as any good install program should) My question, if I delete now version 11 what happens to all my Content Packs or Holiday packs? Are the Packs I had for version 11 even useful for version 12?? The install info on the site is useless so any help would be appreciated. Should I go ahead and uninstall version 11?
Thanks for your help. I;ll give it a try after first making an image with both program versions installed.
Thanks..I am a long time computer tech and am a little fanatic about keeping my hard drive clean and organized..a hopeless task at best : But it is annoying to have to keep a prior version of PD..another example of software vendors rushing to get their "updates" on the market without thinking things thru from the consumer's perspective.
I will take your advice, though, until I can sort out whether I need to keep any old files or content packs. Some of the content packs from PD 11 seem to be included free in PD12..havent quite sorted it out yet.
As a long time tech I am also a fanatic about backups and images..I like my images to be as pristine as possible..ugh..hate having to leave the old PD11 on a backup image..Perhaps some Cyberlink rep will give a detailed explanation on what do do with the old PD11?? Seems a pretty basic thing to do for your customers..thanks for your help!:
I know this certainly must be answered or explained somewhere but I have been poking around for an hour and can't find an explanation so perhaps someone might point/help me in right direction?

I just installed the PD12 "update". In the past, when I updated from PD10 to PD11, it was an actual update that required and modified the earlier installed PD10 version. However, this new PD12 "update" seems to be a full version that installs itself alongside the still installed PD11..obviously no one needs two full large PD programs on their machine so ..my question: should I delete the earlier PD11 version? And how? I know there are probably folders with all sorts of junk in them that wouldn't be uninstalled using the simple Windows uninstall program in control panel.

Also, what do I do with all the Creative Packs and Content Packs from the earlier versions? Can I install them under and into the new PD 12??

Thanks for nay help..I have to assume I just can't find a good tutorial on this as I can't understand Cyberlink not giving some clue on this somewhere!

Thanks!
Okey doke, thanks. I just noticed my Samsung smart DVD player won't play .m2ts...tho it handles .ts files fine. I also discovered my PD10 doesnt freeze up when I remove the option of "Fast Video Rendering" when I produce to MP4..so I guess I will go with MP4's.
Thanks for your input..do you find the .ts format to be more widely accepted by various devices and players than the .m2ts?
I have been using the Colossus video capture card and have come across several issues using it with PD10. Firstly, the Colossus, while having the advantage of processing file compression on the card, has the disadvantage of being wedded to three files formats for capture, namely .m2ts, .ts and MP4. Unfortunately, the MP4 choice is useless as it always results in audio/video sync problems. That leaves me with the other two. Does anyone know if there is any practical difference between .ts and .m2ts? Anyway, I am further restricted to using only .ts captured files with PD10 because the .m2ts files freeze each and every time when producing in PD10 to MP4. They do produce well to the PD10's .m2ts format but not the MP4.
My question is, I dont see any difference either in PD10's formats of MP4 and .m2ts so which one would you choose? If I import and edit .ts files does it make any practical difference whether I produce them as MP4 or as .m2ts? And, further, if I choose to produce them as .m2ts can I later simply change the .m2ts extension in the filename to .mp4 to make it more widely playable in a larger number of devices out there?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
Thanks very much, that was it exactly:
Newbie question, please excuse. I just downloaded and installed some title templates from the Director ZOne. WHen I click on the downloaded .dzt files, they indicate they have been installed and are ready to use. Where are they? I cant find them anywhere in the Title room or anywhere else. I restarted PD10 to no avail. Any help please?
Thanks for the good advice. You read so much conflicting opinion on the internet it makes it hard for a novice. I thought I saw a slightly better quality when I captured into AVI form so I was thinking, I might as well capture to that and then Produce to Mpeg2 as long as the Mpeg2 is editable in the future. This excellent support on this forum is the main reason I chose PD10.
Well, three days later and still waiting for some reply from PD support. Guess they are going to be like most other software makers these days. I;m issuing for a refund.
I am still trying to sort out all the different video file formats and sort out the best quality/file size considerations before I start converting dozens of old VHS video tapes to digital. One kind soul here advised that Mpeg2 was a good format to Capture a VHS tape at, due to inherent bad quality of VHS tapes anyway. Can you tell me, if file size is not a consideration, is the AVI format "lossless" in that it preserves the original quality of the VHS tape?

Also, in the course of my reading, I read that Mpeg2 video files are not editable. Huh? Is that true? It can't be or why would that be one of only 3 options (AVI, Mpeg1 and Mpeg2) in PD10 for Capturing?

Sorry for simpleton questions but I would hate to spend weeks transferring tapes only to find out I should have done this or that:
abslayer, first you find a video capture device (Google for many products out there) then you plug a VHS video tape player into that. Most video capture devices come with their own video capturing software but PD does a good job of recognizing devices. Record your video into the software and go on from there. Simple as that.
Great, thanks for the good info!
Go to: