Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Newest of newbies, converting VHS tapes?
Viajerozz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 16, 2011 09:12 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
Hi. Please excuse the rudimentary questions but I am just beginning to use PD10. My first project is converting old VHS tapes to digital form and, in the process, have been trying to grasp the vast confusion of video file format options. What a confusion of terms and opinions on what file formats to use and when. I have searched for weeks trying to understand the differences between avi's, Mpegs, h.264, avchd, on and on till I am blue in the face. The PD User manual was not much help and googled info usually assumes you are already well-versed.. What a help it would be to us newcomers to PD if someone provided a simple chart and explanation on what file types and settings might be used in any given importing/producing situation.

Can someone tell me, in simple terms, what import and production file types and settings they use to import VHS tapes (AVI or MPEG-2?) and then produce to a file type with the best quality/file size? Thanks for any help provided!
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Viajerozz: I have, and still do, convert many VHS tapes to DVD. I use the .mpeg2 format and I am very happy with the results, as are my clients. Normally, DVD-SP will do fine for VHS and permits 2 hours, plus, to be placed on a DVD. If you have a really good quality VHS tape (or camcorder tape), I will go for DVD-HQ format, but that only permits about an hour to be burned to DVD. DVD space is also influences by menus and other editing/image enhancements.

Hope this helps and happy PowerDirecting. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
Viajerozz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for taking the time to respond! I certainly will focus on your settings, then. I assume these are your CAPTURE settings and not the PRODUCE settings or both? I read somewhere that to preserve the best quality on Importing your videotape you should use AVI. What is your opinion on that? I know the file size is big but they are treasured old videotapes and I want to preserve them in as near to original quality as I can. Thanks!
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks for taking the time to respond! I certainly will focus on your settings, then. I assume these are your CAPTURE settings and not the PRODUCE settings or both? I read somewhere that to preserve the best quality on Importing your videotape you should use AVI. What is your opinion on that? I know the file size is big but they are treasured old videotapes and I want to preserve them in as near to original quality as I can. Thanks!

You should do a test capture (short, less than a minute) in both formats and see if you can tell any difference in quality.

Mpeg2 is pretty good quality if you use the HQ profile. AVI takes up so much file space for little benefit in my opinion.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Viajerozz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok thanks..what about Producing? Stick with Mpeg2 or does Mpeg4 have any benefit?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Ok thanks..what about Producing? Stick with Mpeg2 or does Mpeg4 have any benefit?

It is a matter of choice. MPEG2 is the native format. Nothing wrong with using Mpeg4.

The fact is VHS tape does not have high definition of any kind.

The most you can get from VHS video tape (at SP speed) is 720x480 pixels at about 400 lines of resolution.

You would have to look up the analog TV specs to see how that relates to broadcast TV.

One little fact, Analog NTSC TV is 525 interlaced lines and a frame rate of 30 frames per second. Each frame is made up of two fields. A top field and a bottom field.

Of the 525 lines some are used for vertical blanking and synchronization Leaving about 480 active lines.

Thus the digital conversion of analog TV is a 720x480 pixels at 30 frames per second.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Viajerozz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Great, thanks for the good info!
[Post New]
Just how do you get VHS video tape on your PC so one can make a DVD out of this tape??
Viajerozz [Avatar]
[Post New]
abslayer, first you find a video capture device (Google for many products out there) then you plug a VHS video tape player into that. Most video capture devices come with their own video capturing software but PD does a good job of recognizing devices. Record your video into the software and go on from there. Simple as that.
[Post New]
Thanks for info