Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Issues with Colossus file formats
Viajerozz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 16, 2011 09:12 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
I have been using the Colossus video capture card and have come across several issues using it with PD10. Firstly, the Colossus, while having the advantage of processing file compression on the card, has the disadvantage of being wedded to three files formats for capture, namely .m2ts, .ts and MP4. Unfortunately, the MP4 choice is useless as it always results in audio/video sync problems. That leaves me with the other two. Does anyone know if there is any practical difference between .ts and .m2ts? Anyway, I am further restricted to using only .ts captured files with PD10 because the .m2ts files freeze each and every time when producing in PD10 to MP4. They do produce well to the PD10's .m2ts format but not the MP4.
My question is, I dont see any difference either in PD10's formats of MP4 and .m2ts so which one would you choose? If I import and edit .ts files does it make any practical difference whether I produce them as MP4 or as .m2ts? And, further, if I choose to produce them as .m2ts can I later simply change the .m2ts extension in the filename to .mp4 to make it more widely playable in a larger number of devices out there?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have been using the Colossus video capture card and have come across several issues using it with PD10. Firstly, the Colossus, while having the advantage of processing file compression on the card, has the disadvantage of being wedded to three files formats for capture, namely .m2ts, .ts and MP4. Unfortunately, the MP4 choice is useless as it always results in audio/video sync problems. That leaves me with the other two. Does anyone know if there is any practical difference between .ts and .m2ts? Anyway, I am further restricted to using only .ts captured files with PD10 because the .m2ts files freeze each and every time when producing in PD10 to MP4. They do produce well to the PD10's .m2ts format but not the MP4.
My question is, I dont see any difference either in PD10's formats of MP4 and .m2ts so which one would you choose? If I import and edit .ts files does it make any practical difference whether I produce them as MP4 or as .m2ts? And, further, if I choose to produce them as .m2ts can I later simply change the .m2ts extension in the filename to .mp4 to make it more widely playable in a larger number of devices out there?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Both the .TS and .M2TS formats work pretty good in PowerDirector, as you have found out, the .MP4 format does not do well in Powerdirector.

I use either the .m2ts or the .ts formats. .ts is reliable and has few problems.

Changing the file extension is a bad idea, the internal format is not changed and the player or Powerdirector can become confused.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Viajerozz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your input..do you find the .ts format to be more widely accepted by various devices and players than the .m2ts?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks for your input..do you find the .ts format to be more widely accepted by various devices and players than the .m2ts?

Well, my Canon camera outputs .MTS which is .m2ts AVC H.264 format.

PowerDirector edits that format just fine. Powerdirector does well with the .TS format also.

I find more .m2ts files than .ts files.

What devices can use what format, depends on the device.
It does seem that all forms of AVC H.264 work in most places.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Viajerozz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okey doke, thanks. I just noticed my Samsung smart DVD player won't play .m2ts...tho it handles .ts files fine. I also discovered my PD10 doesnt freeze up when I remove the option of "Fast Video Rendering" when I produce to MP4..so I guess I will go with MP4's.