Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What do I do with PD11 now that I have PD12?
Viajerozz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 16, 2011 09:12 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
I know this certainly must be answered or explained somewhere but I have been poking around for an hour and can't find an explanation so perhaps someone might point/help me in right direction?

I just installed the PD12 "update". In the past, when I updated from PD10 to PD11, it was an actual update that required and modified the earlier installed PD10 version. However, this new PD12 "update" seems to be a full version that installs itself alongside the still installed PD11..obviously no one needs two full large PD programs on their machine so ..my question: should I delete the earlier PD11 version? And how? I know there are probably folders with all sorts of junk in them that wouldn't be uninstalled using the simple Windows uninstall program in control panel.

Also, what do I do with all the Creative Packs and Content Packs from the earlier versions? Can I install them under and into the new PD 12??

Thanks for nay help..I have to assume I just can't find a good tutorial on this as I can't understand Cyberlink not giving some clue on this somewhere!

Thanks!
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I would leave PD 11 installed and forget it's there. I and others have had a whole heap of trouble uninstalling it and then losing some of our past files and having things like the effects, custom Titles, extra content packs etc. disappear and having to fight to get them back from a hard drive backup.

There is a way of doing it- but knowing what I know now I would have left well enough alone.

Basically before you uninstall make a backup of the following folder located on your Main C: drive /User/You Name/Documents/Cyberlink - Copy that to a safe place.

Under the Power Director Folder inside the above location you will need access to the version "11" folder. An uninstall of PD 11 will delete some or all of these files. (Cyberlink Directorzone will have some of the stock effects that gets nuked.. for whatever reason CL decided that some of these were not needed in the newer PD 12. But then you will have to go hunting for them and it can be a pain if you use these older PD 11 effects regularly.) [Edit Update: the newer full paid download versions of PD 12 Ultimate Suite looks like it now includes all past PD 11 effects / particles etc. See below for my updated explanation and experiences with the install.]

The Creative content packs are version specific so no- you won't be able to install them with PD 12. I tried and it would not let me. It needed version 11 to be installed.

So think twice before you do- I suggest creating a System Restore point first !
Then if you know how, manually backup and image your main C: hard drive.

Rob

PS- mebbe one of these days I'll get around to writing down the detailed steps, but I won't take responsibility for people messing up their systems!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 03. 2014 21:35

PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
Viajerozz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks..I am a long time computer tech and am a little fanatic about keeping my hard drive clean and organized..a hopeless task at best : But it is annoying to have to keep a prior version of PD..another example of software vendors rushing to get their "updates" on the market without thinking things thru from the consumer's perspective.
I will take your advice, though, until I can sort out whether I need to keep any old files or content packs. Some of the content packs from PD 11 seem to be included free in PD12..havent quite sorted it out yet.
As a long time tech I am also a fanatic about backups and images..I like my images to be as pristine as possible..ugh..hate having to leave the old PD11 on a backup image..Perhaps some Cyberlink rep will give a detailed explanation on what do do with the old PD11?? Seems a pretty basic thing to do for your customers..thanks for your help!:
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks..I am a long time computer tech and am a little fanatic about keeping my hard drive clean and organized..a hopeless task at best : But it is annoying to have to keep a prior version of PD..another example of software vendors rushing to get their "updates" on the market without thinking things thru from the consumer's perspective.
I will take your advice, though, until I can sort out whether I need to keep any old files or content packs. Some of the content packs from PD 11 seem to be included free in PD12..havent quite sorted it out yet.
As a long time tech I am also a fanatic about backups and images..I like my images to be as pristine as possible..ugh..hate having to leave the old PD11 on a backup image..Perhaps some Cyberlink rep will give a detailed explanation on what do do with the old PD11?? Seems a pretty basic thing to do for your customers..thanks for your help!:

I am not a Cyberlink rep, none of us are.

You can probably uninstall the Powerdirector 11 program, but leave the Powerdirector 11 content packs.

However, PD 12 has likely already imported all to the previous contents and is safe in PD 12.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Viajerozz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your help. I;ll give it a try after first making an image with both program versions installed.
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Ok- here is an important update and observation that may shed even more light on this issue:

My original PD 12 Ultimate Suite came with 12 install files. For some reason I was missing some of my Premium content pack and a whole lot of effects / particles etc. that I had with PD 11. So I thought the new install had nuked them!

Well fast forward to today when I contacted tech support and asked how I can get those effects back. (Remember your version may vary- this is for Ultimate Suite, which will differ for Ultimate, Ultra and so on.)

Anyway Tech support sent me a link to 4 files. (One .exe file and 3 .rar archived files a total of 5.8 GB or so of new install files compared to 1 exe and 11 .rar archive files for my older PD 12 Ultimate Suite. I clicked on the newer exe and in order to install everything it first asked me which content pack and files I wanted to uninstall before it would install the newer files. I did them one by one to test.

Well after holding my breath and expecting the worst- it uninstalled all my previous PD 12 files and content packs and re-installed everything up to the latest v2420 release. And lo and behold..... ALL my previous effects from both PD 11 (and maybe some from earlier I am not sure,) were installed along with the new stuff from PD 12 release!!

I am indeed relieved, surprised and happy that I did not have to reach into my backup to find "missing" files. Everything was there and new stuff I didn't even know was missing! Even all my NewBlue effects and Pixelan plug ins were where they should be and usable.

Hot diggidity ! As long as you have the latest downloaded files from tech support and not the older ones initially released then you should be golden.

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be