Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Here is the cut and paste of my support ticket.

Your Question Our Reply
Donald George Asked 2009-08-16 13:46:28.483 vCSaba Reply 2009-08-17 03:13:57.467
When I first installed PD6, I had no problems with it. Recently I am no longer able to import .TOD files from my hard drive that I copied from my Everio video camera.

It says there is no valid video content in the file??
What do you suppose happened, or changed. The only thing I can think of is I installed Norton Ghost. I uninstalled Ghost, but the problem remains.
screen shot attached.

Thanks

Attach File : error1.jpg
Dear Donald,

Thank you for contacting Cyberlink Technical Support.

We understand your concern related with PowerDirector 6 software.

Regarding the PowerDirector 6 software issues, please note that we do not have any records of you showing the purchase made at our website or Element5. If you made the purchase on Cyberlink website or Element5, then please provide us the following information:

i) The order number of the purchase.

ii) The e-mail ID that you used while purchasing the software.

iii) The invoice of the purchase.

If you purchased the software from a third party vendor, then please contact your vendor for a backup copy and try to install it after uninstalling the previous copy.

If you are unable to get a copy from your vendor, please send us the exact details of your purchase and the proof of purchase.

The proof of purchase could be an invoice/sales reciept or the snapshot of the installation CD.

After analyzing the snapshot of the installation CD or invoice / sales receipt, we can provide further assistance.

Please send the files as an attachment by following the link given below:

>> http://www.CyberLink.com/english/cs/support/form/index.jsp <<

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink products.

Thanks and Regards

CyberLink Technical Support

Ok, Thanks for responding. Although this thread is surely not the right place for this, I'll tell you some of the problems. Sorry if this post is pretty long.

1. The video playback in the editing area is jerky and unmanagable, so much so that the transitions between videos don't even play. But the final product (after making a streaming video file or DVD) played fine. I "solved" that issue by converting every file into a different screen format in the editor (very cumbersome).

2. Now for no apparent reason whenever I try to import a .TOD file (after saving it to my computer's hard drive) It starts the conversion process, asks if I want to convert first of course, I click "yes", and then about 25% into the conversion comes back and says "cannot convert xxxxx.TOD because the file contains no video content" or something like that. So I uninstalled using "add/remove programs" and reinstalled. Same thing. I uninstalled again the same way and also went to regedit and removed every reference to PowerDirector I could find using the search function. I reinstalled. same problem. Then I did a system restore back to a date before I did any of the above mentioned uninstall and reinstalls. Now PowerDirector won't even start up. (by the way, the same .TOD files WILL play using other video software so I know there IS video content in them)

I'm at my wits end. I absolutely love the software when it was sorta working, but now it is just a boat anchor on my computer.

Everytime I try to contact Cyberlink, they come back and tell me they have no record that I ever purchased the software so they won't give me any help! I DID purchase the software FROM THEM!!! I gave them my CD key and everything but they still say the same thing. So I'm here at the forums hoping somebody smarter than me can help. Is that someone you? I hope so!

Thanks,

Don

Is someone suggesting in this post that PowerDirector 8, (latest version) cures all these ills?

I am sick and tired of the problems I have with version 6! I paid almost $90.00 for this software and have always had problems with it.

I like the user interface so I keep trying to make it work, but I won't buy version 8 if I'm looking at the same problems again!!

Donald
Recently for no apparent reason, Whenever I try to import a .TOD file from my JVC Everio, about 15 to 25% into the conversion I get the error stated in the subject line of this post.

It used to work fine, and also the same .TOD files import just fine into Magix movie edit pro 14, which is a similar type program for video editing.

Anybody got a clue?

Donald
Ok, I just uninstalled Powerdirector 6, and then reinstalled it. Right after I put in the CD key, it says PowerDirector is now activated. Then when I click ok, I get the message "critical files are missing, Please re-install PowerDirector". I've repeated this twice with the same result.

Anybody know what happened?

Donald
I have a JVC everio and Vista, and everything works fine.

Donald
As mentioned above, to get a reasonable file size, select "produce" then "create a streaming file" then "WMV". Just below that selection is a drop down menu. look at the resolution and the kbps of those selections. As a rule, the higher the resolution and the higher the kbps (kilobytes per second), the larger the file size will be. For Utube or email use a smaller resolution and kbps.

I created a 1 minute and forty five second video that was 4 meg, and also produced the same video at a larger resolution that was 98 meg. for online videos, the rule is to keep the resolution small.

Hope that helps.

Donald
Hello Mark, I have the same setup as you, except I upgraded to the purchased version of power director 6.

I have never seen the problems you are having. I will just ask a couple of questions:

When you import the video files from the JVC camera, they are .TOD files right? I first copy the .TOD files to my hard drive instead of importing directly from the camera. Anyway, when you import into Powerdirector, you are asked if you want to convert to mpeg2. I select "Yes". The files are imported as mpeg2 videos. Then I bring them into the powerdirector editor and they work fine. The output to DVD has always been very good quality. Be sure to look over carefully the DVD options when getting ready to burn. Perhaps one of the settings for burning is at a lower quality, be sure the burn is not set to PAL. it should be NTSC.

Other than that, I don't know what else could have gone wrong.

Oh, by the way, I was having some jerky video in the editing window, (not the DVD output) and I solved it by right clicking on the video in the timeline, and selecting "set TV format", and then choosing "this video clip is progressive (non interlaced)" That solved the problem of jerky playback during editing. As far as bad output, I never had any issues with that.

Donald
Go to: