Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Motion picture terrible after editing
Mark [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 14, 2009 05:33 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I spent the whole day editing my Xmas shoot with my new JVC Everio, I have spent years using other editing suites, mostly AVID, but it did not take too long to work out how to use the software from cyberlink that came with it. I used Powerproducer 5 NE, and added fades and messages throughout the video. I then burnt the DVD using the same software and the final picture is appalling.

When there is any motion in the picture it is very jagged with horizontal lines. I have the camera set to maximum quality and I'm using Windows XP with Service Pack 3.

Really bad picture and I'll be taking it back to Currys tomorrow to show them and demand my money back. Am I doing something very wrong here?

When you buy the package you expect it to work well together...no wonder JVC is giving cash back to buy this system !

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 14. 2009 16:04

Mitchell [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 30, 2008 23:00 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Mark

Just so you know you can use Cyberlink Power director to convert the movie files to MPEG2 or AVI and then use any video editing software you like.

It would not be the camera, as it just records the footage. If you want to test the camera plug it into your TV direct to the from the camera and I bet this will not happen.

If you are not happy with the software you have some options
1. convert the files and use a different program that you are more use to.
2. upgrade to the Full and latest version of Cyberlink Power Director.
3. ( this will only work if you have a SD camera) If you don't like using Power Director to convert a good program is " SD copy " just go to google and type in " SD copy .MOD converter " The first 3 search results should allow you to download it. This program will convert each file from .MOD to MPEG all aty once.
Mark [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, Currys saw the footage, before converting the files to MPEG2 and the footage after converting. Originally any motion was blurry with horizontal lines and after converting all the definition was lost and looked out of focus.

We then plugged the camcorder into the TV direct and picture was perfect, so it looks like a problem with the editing. We rang JVC direct and they blamed the computer, but did confirm it seemed uncompatible.

I then exchanged the whole kit for the SONY DCR-SR36E and I will try editing with their software. The Sony does not look as good, plastic larger and square....but I will reserve judgement until I see the editing from it.

I will try cyberlink editing first !!!

Good on Currys though !
Mark [Avatar]
[Post New]
Although I've now replaced my JVC due to the poor editing, I actually went back to the saved files and manually changed them to end .mpg magically it then worked OK. I had to go through nearly 300 clips manually changing each one before I could use it in the editing software. When I used a programme to change them, the quality deteriated slightly.

Solved problem, but what a stupid file system!
Donald [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 05, 2009 10:33 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Mark, I have the same setup as you, except I upgraded to the purchased version of power director 6.

I have never seen the problems you are having. I will just ask a couple of questions:

When you import the video files from the JVC camera, they are .TOD files right? I first copy the .TOD files to my hard drive instead of importing directly from the camera. Anyway, when you import into Powerdirector, you are asked if you want to convert to mpeg2. I select "Yes". The files are imported as mpeg2 videos. Then I bring them into the powerdirector editor and they work fine. The output to DVD has always been very good quality. Be sure to look over carefully the DVD options when getting ready to burn. Perhaps one of the settings for burning is at a lower quality, be sure the burn is not set to PAL. it should be NTSC.

Other than that, I don't know what else could have gone wrong.

Oh, by the way, I was having some jerky video in the editing window, (not the DVD output) and I solved it by right clicking on the video in the timeline, and selecting "set TV format", and then choosing "this video clip is progressive (non interlaced)" That solved the problem of jerky playback during editing. As far as bad output, I never had any issues with that.

Donald