Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Getting huge file sizes
Henry [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 17, 2008 23:40 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi!
I just got a JVC Everio GZ-MG330 and I am trying to make some vids for YouTube.
So I shot some video, transferred it to my PC and opened it in PowerDirector 5 NE Express that came with the camcorder. Dragged the file to the timeline and hit produce.
Then Create File, Windows AVI, AVI High Speed Profile.
The video resolution is only 320 x 240, but the files are huge.
60MB for 13 seconds and 1.2GB for 4 minutes. About six times larger than the original file.
Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks a lot for any help.
-Henry
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Oh Henry,

I'm using PD7. You need to select a different format - try a WMV file - one suitable for streaming and carefully look at the different templates available to you. Choose a suitable one.

It is important to consider what you select and what the finish file will render to. You've found out that making the wrong choices for a particular want, will result in too big a file!

Dafydd
Mark [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 03, 2008 09:49 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am also struggling with producing. Unless I missed something in the instruction manual, I don't see anything that guides you through the production process. I am a casual user and don't really have the time, nor what to allocate my time experimenting with what selections will produce what results. During the production process there are many drop down lists and fields to input and I don't have the training in knowing what the different selections mean or what their outcomes will be. I like the Direct v7 software very much. In my opinion it is very user friendly except the production process.

Does CyberLink have a manual that explains what the different selections mean in the production process to relieve consumer burden?

Mark
HJ [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 24, 2008 12:13 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
hi i made a 4 min. video and it came out 4GB if i put all the files together it would still be like 10x bigger what in the world...

some above said make it WMV ...i dont see that ioption...

actually it made an odd side affect the videos turned better quality then the original ones i used...O.o

anyway...i cant even try to convert a 4gb file down to something... what do i do ..

its my first time on powerdirecter... help?
Donald [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 05, 2009 10:33 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
As mentioned above, to get a reasonable file size, select "produce" then "create a streaming file" then "WMV". Just below that selection is a drop down menu. look at the resolution and the kbps of those selections. As a rule, the higher the resolution and the higher the kbps (kilobytes per second), the larger the file size will be. For Utube or email use a smaller resolution and kbps.

I created a 1 minute and forty five second video that was 4 meg, and also produced the same video at a larger resolution that was 98 meg. for online videos, the rule is to keep the resolution small.

Hope that helps.

Donald