Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Powerdirector 6 cannot alter text size in title window
DaveC [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 15, 2009 06:20 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hi can anyone help with this problem, I have just purchased Power director 6, when trying to build a title page I cannot alter the size of the text everything else works fine, I have been on the forum and on the updates page but nothing seems to work with my version.
Any help please
David.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Why have you purchased such an old version of PowerDirector? You don't need to answer.

The title text issue was resolved with an update patch.
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html

Might be worth having a look at the video tutorials. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/3523.page

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 15. 2009 10:37

DaveC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd, I purchased this copy from a QVC shop couple of weeks ago they were going cheap, nuff said, I have downloaded everything that is on the link you sudgest but I still cant alter the text size in the title window looking at the forum I'm not the only one who has had the problem, I'm running Windows XP service pack 2 if thats any help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 15. 2009 13:41

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Is this "Titles" in Edit or "DVD Menu Designer's fixed position title names (My Videos) in Create Disc?

Just want to clarify exactly what you're referring to.

OK, I have to point out something about myself: My brain is not reverse compatible and I have a sponge which leaks! Basically, I forget earlier version information.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 15. 2009 13:45

DaveC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd, it's the text in the editing window when I try and alter the size it shrinks down to a small size, clicking on the font size makes no difference.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
So Dave - we're talking about Titles and not Menus - right? Dafydd - the first post could easily be misunderstood.

It sounds like a silly question (probably because it is) but - do you have the text selected (highlighted)? I only ask that because I've forgotten to select text myself on way too many occasions & wondered why it wasn't changing!

I don't know why it's jumping down in size. Dave - what text template did you use at the start? Default or something else. I would have a try with something different.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
DaveC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony, yes I have made sure the text is highlighted, I am basicaly trying to make a title page at the start with some text this will then lead into the first bit of video.
DaveC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony just to add all the other functions on the editing page seem fine I can change the font type, add shadow etc, it's just the size of the text I cannot change, as I said as soon as I try to the text shrinks right down realy small and no matter what I try I cant get it to alter.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Dave -

What a strange problem... and I have no answer.

Try opening a new project (don't merge libraries)

Insert a colour board

Insert a title & try editing it... maybe there's something in your other project that's making it misbehave.

Cheers - Tony
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
DaveC,
The issue you are referring to was corrected by applying a patch.

Looks like you have purchased a box version of the earliest build and need to apply the patch. You haven't stated what build it was.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/2405.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
PART A

As this is not the latest product there is little that can be done for you beyond getting you to uninstall and reinstall and then apply the patch.

I stress the issue in TITLES was corrected by CyberLink and applying the patch corrected it at that time and subsequent patches would have included the correction.

Best I can do for you.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 16. 2009 05:03

DaveC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd, I think I have this right version 6-00.1604a does that help at all?
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi DaveC,

I once had the exact same (I think), problem as you are having. Is the font size stuck on 8?

Anyway, Dafydd sent me a link to an update patch. However, it was soooo long ago that I can't remember the details. But it was an update patch that made my PD6 a higher version than what I had, and that cured my text size problem.

If you go to the link pasted below, it will take you to what appears to be the lastest available update patch for PD6. I don't know if this patch will help your PD6, as I don't know if your "old" version of PD is in fact a retail or bundled version.
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html

But as you can understand, just as GM doesn't offer a lot of support for the Covair, or Ford for the Pinto, older versions of PD will not have the same level of support that the current (or the version just previous to the current version), will.

My best advise would be to make a save copy of the program version you have (just in case), and then apply this patch to your PD6.
As this patch is the latest available update for PD6, from Cyberlink, it might just do the trick.

This message was edited 12 times. Last update was at Sep 16. 2009 06:39

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
DaveC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Cranston, I have downloaded the latest update patch for my version 6 but still no luck the font as you say is stuck on 8 and will not budge, this was a boxed product from our local QVC shop so no Idea why I'm having this problem, maybe I should take it back to them, maybe this is the reason it was returned to the store in the first place someone else having problems you never know. At this moment in time I'm at a loss as to what to do I have uninstalled and reinstalled the thing about four times, just been looking at Adobe elements 7 think I'll go for that instead.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Dave -

Sorry - I was unaware of issues with previous versions of PD.

Dafydd suggested that you uninstall then reinstall PD before applying the patch. Has this been done? Whenever I've had "issues" that won't go away, this process has resolved them.

To COMPLETELY UNINSTALL, you need to use Windows Install Clean Up - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301) - then restart & reinstall it. After that, reinstall the update patch.

This will remove unnecessary registry files, which the regular windows uninsaller won't.

Cheers - Tony

Here are Dafydd's innstructions for "Uninstall and reinstall of PowerDirector"

A re-installation of your software can resolve usage problems.

I. Reboot PC.

Before carrying out part II please ensure you have ...... Go to Tools > Folder Options > View tab > Select "Show hidden files and folders"

II. Install Microsoft cleanup tool and clean PowerDirector installation information Install Microsoft cleanup tool and execute from "Start\all programs\WindowsInstaller Cleanup" To check if PowerDirector is on product list, If you can see PowerDirector in product list. Select
PowerDirector and click "Remove" button to clean up PowerDirector.
Microsoft cleanup tool: PART P

III. Remove PowerDirector folder and clean up PowerDirector Registry
Please try the following steps.
1. Remove C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector folder
2. Remove C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CB099890-1D5F-11D5-9EA9-0050BAE317E1} folder
3. Run regedit (Start --> Run --> type "regedit" )
(1) Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CyberLink\PowerDirector
(2) Remove
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{CB099890-1D5F-11D5-9EA9-0050BAE317E1}
(3) Remove
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield Uninstall Information\{CB099890-1D5F-11D5-9EA9-0050BAE317E1}
(4) Remove
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield_{CB099890-1D5F-11D5-9EA9-0050BAE317E1} [b]
DaveC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony, I have just followed the uninstall/reinstall directions from Dafydd to the letter, reinstalled the program and loaded the patch again, guess what? it still doesn't work. I have now given up it's just not worth it I'm losing the will to live, I will take it back to QVC at the weekend for a refund.
I would just like to thank you all for all the help and advice it is much appreciated even if we couldn't solve the problem
all the very best to you all
David.
Donald [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 05, 2009 10:33 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Is someone suggesting in this post that PowerDirector 8, (latest version) cures all these ills?

I am sick and tired of the problems I have with version 6! I paid almost $90.00 for this software and have always had problems with it.

I like the user interface so I keep trying to make it work, but I won't buy version 8 if I'm looking at the same problems again!!

Donald
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Donald,

I don't know what problems you're having with v6, but I'm sorry you are.
I can only tell you that I used v6 for a long time, and I must say, I really had no problems with v6 at all (other than the usual ones all editing programs have).

I don't think that anyone here has suggested that v8 is a cure for any problems that one may have with their v6. But I will say that v8, with all it's extra capabilities, has made my video editing experience even better than it was with v4, or v5, or v6, or v7.

You've probably already posted your issues in other threads. I'll take a look at your profile, and see if there is an issue I might have a thought on, though I'm no expert.

EDIT:
Hmm? Only one issue about TOD files, which got a reply. But no follow-up by Donald. Still don't know what "ALL' the issues are.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 21. 2009 08:04

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Donald [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok, Thanks for responding. Although this thread is surely not the right place for this, I'll tell you some of the problems. Sorry if this post is pretty long.

1. The video playback in the editing area is jerky and unmanagable, so much so that the transitions between videos don't even play. But the final product (after making a streaming video file or DVD) played fine. I "solved" that issue by converting every file into a different screen format in the editor (very cumbersome).

2. Now for no apparent reason whenever I try to import a .TOD file (after saving it to my computer's hard drive) It starts the conversion process, asks if I want to convert first of course, I click "yes", and then about 25% into the conversion comes back and says "cannot convert xxxxx.TOD because the file contains no video content" or something like that. So I uninstalled using "add/remove programs" and reinstalled. Same thing. I uninstalled again the same way and also went to regedit and removed every reference to PowerDirector I could find using the search function. I reinstalled. same problem. Then I did a system restore back to a date before I did any of the above mentioned uninstall and reinstalls. Now PowerDirector won't even start up. (by the way, the same .TOD files WILL play using other video software so I know there IS video content in them)

I'm at my wits end. I absolutely love the software when it was sorta working, but now it is just a boat anchor on my computer.

Everytime I try to contact Cyberlink, they come back and tell me they have no record that I ever purchased the software so they won't give me any help! I DID purchase the software FROM THEM!!! I gave them my CD key and everything but they still say the same thing. So I'm here at the forums hoping somebody smarter than me can help. Is that someone you? I hope so!

Thanks,

Don

Donald [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is the cut and paste of my support ticket.

Your Question Our Reply
Donald George Asked 2009-08-16 13:46:28.483 vCSaba Reply 2009-08-17 03:13:57.467
When I first installed PD6, I had no problems with it. Recently I am no longer able to import .TOD files from my hard drive that I copied from my Everio video camera.

It says there is no valid video content in the file??
What do you suppose happened, or changed. The only thing I can think of is I installed Norton Ghost. I uninstalled Ghost, but the problem remains.
screen shot attached.

Thanks

Attach File : error1.jpg
Dear Donald,

Thank you for contacting Cyberlink Technical Support.

We understand your concern related with PowerDirector 6 software.

Regarding the PowerDirector 6 software issues, please note that we do not have any records of you showing the purchase made at our website or Element5. If you made the purchase on Cyberlink website or Element5, then please provide us the following information:

i) The order number of the purchase.

ii) The e-mail ID that you used while purchasing the software.

iii) The invoice of the purchase.

If you purchased the software from a third party vendor, then please contact your vendor for a backup copy and try to install it after uninstalling the previous copy.

If you are unable to get a copy from your vendor, please send us the exact details of your purchase and the proof of purchase.

The proof of purchase could be an invoice/sales reciept or the snapshot of the installation CD.

After analyzing the snapshot of the installation CD or invoice / sales receipt, we can provide further assistance.

Please send the files as an attachment by following the link given below:

>> http://www.CyberLink.com/english/cs/support/form/index.jsp <<

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink products.

Thanks and Regards

CyberLink Technical Support

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Donald,
You appear not to have grasp the request by CyberLink support.

They have asked you for your ORDER NUMBER and NOT the activation key.

Please look up the copy of the online order (an email) - in your records and provide the information to them.

If you contact me, please supply the Order number, full name and email address and the activation key. I'll pass your concerns onto the Head of Customer Support and get the support issue sorted.

Tod files should be recognised by your system especially if they were in the past. You've likely mucked up a file association. Right click on a tod file and select "Open With" and find the correct program to open the files (media player).

I could also suggest you install codec's, FFDShow, and do a PD uninstall/reinstall.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 23. 2009 14:00