Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote My feeling is that this has not to do with the resolution but with the difference in the frame rate of recording /producing of the image and the final result. The images “jumps” from one size to the other. Making more frames might give a more fluent result. The time the logo is shown is very short, this may also have to do with the flickering: there is not sufficient time to show in between steps that can make it less flickering.
You might give it a try with a different/higher frame rate If you have recorded the image, try to use a picture of the image instead and scale it directly in PD again allowing as many frames while the scaling happens.
My two cents.
(Haarlem neem ik aan? 😊)

Thanks Warry, I'll defnitely give that a try next time I open up PD, increasing the frame rate. I'll let you know how it goes once I've tried it. One of my videos was recorded in Haarlem yeah, but not that one. That's Alkmaar 😊
Quote Do you have a bit more information for us? Like: what have you done to the clip in terms of editing, and rather then rendering the preview, does the production of the clip work well. Also, please tell us whether you have hardware decoding on (switching it off might help), and whether you have set to create shadow files or not. Code 2 error looks like pointing to many causes including memory leaks (something CL should resolve), and slight differences in the format of the input file that PD cannot cope with.
It may also help us have a look at your DXDiag.txt file to look at drivers etc.
When browsing for this error online (and in this forum) there are all sorts of suggestions, including the reinstallation of PD.

Thanks for your reply Warry. I'll look into this and get more info after I've finished editing my current videoand get back to you then. Thanks for the pointers on things to look at thus far.
Here's a demonstration of this flickering happening: https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZ0yeLZolTgSUYIhkHOQ8Jt4GAnCQn5Iec7
(it's a low res render but same happens at high res).

I zoom in on my logo there and it's a high res image so that's not the issue here. I even tried upping the logo resolution to 5K but that didn't help.

As you can see the text doesn't look smooth but acts all jagged as it's zoomed in on.

How can I fix this behavior?

As it is now this seems like a major limitation as I can't zoom in on text which is such a common thing to do.
Whenever I run and try to create a Render Preview I get an error popup after the render is complete. And the resulting render preview is a black screen. So I have to delete the render preview cache to be able to see my timeline footage again and no usable render preview is ever created.

Here's the error log:

Media Source Error Report :
Error type : Video cut
Material type : Video
Error information : Unknown
Material filename : D:\My Files\PowerDirector Export\Preview Cache Files\team0_02e1aa30.mp4
Detailed information : ..\CES_Source\Src\CES_Engine\CES_MediaLoader.CPP:1789
Source filter GUID : E436EBB5-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770
Splitter filter GUID : A05CDF6C-287E-47A1-A407-A477A8A5FDCA
Video decoder filter GUID : 8A0836E9-6E48-454D-8F68-507BC13F3D0B
Video hardware decoder filter GUID : 8A0836E9-6E48-454D-8F68-507BC13F3D0B

Anyone know why this happens and how to fix it?

I already tried running PD as adminitstrator which fixed s a similar problem for someone else I read on these forums, but that didn't fix things for me. When I render files with Produce those all work just fine.

P.S. I did open a support ticket for this at PD also but as I'm used to useless unhelpful responses from official support I'm posting this here too. Because I'm not expecting much from support eventhough this is a critical issue... They haven't ever helped me solve any problem before.
there have been many instances of odd timeline behavior using shadows over the years, but often linked to editing before full generation has occurred.

Yes this is my case here. I edited these clips before I generated the shadow files. Now after I've generated them PD doesn't use the corresponding shadow files for my existing edits. It only does for new edits dropped on the timeline.

Have you tried locating your shadow edit files in File Explorer and then deleting them and allowing PDR to generate all of them from scratch again? I realise that may take some time, but it may be worth exploring?

I know the location but didn't try deleting and regenerating them as there are a lot, but I may give it a try overnight. Or maybe with a smaller sample size to test if this can fix things. Thanks for the suggestion.

It would be useful in any case if there's a way to manually link shadow files, or a way to force PD to link shadow files to timeline footage by just matching the filename.
I wonder how you notice that the shadow files are not being used?

Because the clips are very slow to play compared to clips that have shadow files being used.

If the timeline editing is (still) slow, does it help to downscale the quality of the preview screen and the display options?

No, I already have that on the lowest quality setting

When I test the switching off and on of the shawdow file creation, while editing, I see that PD will duly produce shadow files (when done the the marker in the bottom left corner goes from yellow to green.) In "normal" editing situations it takes a while before (all) shadow files are available, even when the timeline is being filled up by the users editing. So this would be normal behavior and this would be something developers would take into account?

Yes I'm fully aware of this. All shadow files are done generating so having to wait for that to finish isn't the case here.

So, if besides the green marker there is no way telling whether shadow files are being used (if that should matter at all), maybe ask the developers / customer support what really is happening behind the scenes.

Asking customer support has always been a uselless exersize to me with corporate sounding unhelpful replies, a complete waste fo time without exception in my experience. These forums in contrast have always been helpful.

Saving the project and then reloading it again (after having switched on the shawdow file option and the markers are green, I think taht PD will rescan the media room and likely also look at the availaility of shadow files. Would that help?

Yes I've tried that. This isn't just a thing that happened and 5 minutes later I posted on the forum. It's been days before I asked for help here.
Hi, my timeline is full of clips that I edited while I didn't have shadow file generation activated...

But things started to slow down so I decided to generate shadow files.

The problem is, the shadow files I generated don't work on the clips that are already on my timeline. It only works on new clips I add to my timeline, even though the source footage of what's already on my timeline is the same as those clips.

Is PowerDirector supposed to work this way? It seems odd to me.

In any case, is there a way I can retroactively link those timeline clips with the corresponding shadow files?
Ok thanks yes I know how to do it with keyframes. I was just curious if there was an automated way to animate like that based on movement tracking, but it seems there isn't.
"do you want to select a object in your video and then when that moves you want the whole picture to move along."

Yes

"Is the effect of that then that this selected object is fixed in one place, irrispective of its movement?"

No, the object would move along with the whole picture.
For example when someone bobs their head from left to right in the main video, can I track that movement and animate the main video's position with that?

I did look into motion tracking but Its purpose seems to be text overlays and such.

I want to animate the main video's position, not some overlay. So basically I want to move the whole video along with whatever I'm tracking in the main video.

Is this possible with PD?

Yes that helps thanks, I'll read up more on it later but from a quick glance seems it's not quick and convenient to do anymore. Good to know about that anchor point though nonetheless..
When I scale a video in the PIP designer and crop window using the scale handles, the video always scales from the center. Sometimes this is how I want it but often it's not...

Is it possible to instead scale a video from the top right corner point for example? Like is possible when scaling with Photoshop.

I tried holding keyboard keys such alt ctrl shift when scaling but they didn't do anything in that regard.
I also have this problem, though at the same time I wonder what's the use of me posting this here since PD seems completely out of touch with their actual users and they don't seem to care about any such issues, nor to reply to support request in an actual human as opposed to corperate suit voice way...
As far as I know, this only happens if you callup the crop/pan/zoom tool on a clip that already has other effects applied to it, such as Style Effects or 3rd Party Effects, for example. I haven't comprehensively tested all combinations of effects!!

Again, as far as I know, there is no way to disable this info/warning box.

You can always suggest this to CL directly under File>Rate us.........?
PowerDirector Moderator

Yes it only happens on clips that already have other effects applied to it, I do my color correction before my cropping and zooming so that's most of them. I have many clips too, so I get spammed with this popup all the time.

Too bad there's no way to disabling this function. It's super un-user-friendly IMO. Only good that it does is annoy and slow down my workflow.

About "suggest this to CL directly under File>Rate us.........":

The only way I got good and useful help previously was on these forums. Doesn't CL read these forums? When I contacted official CL support I always got very corperate sounding and unhelpful replies, so I'm not inclined to go tru official channels again as it's been wasted effort in the past. Edit: I just copy and pasted my above forum post in that "rate us" box. That was easy to do so can't hurt I figured. Not expecting much if anything from it. But who knows, suprises exist.

My PD version number is 20.4.2820.0 (64 Bit)
Every freaking time I open the crop/zoom window I get this below alert box popup:

"In the Crop/Zoom/Pan window the source clip is used, so any applied effects will not display."

Ok I get the message, good to know... I wonder though, which genius thought it was necessary to display this annying popup every freaking time!? This is annoying as hell as I open up the crop zoom panel very frequiently in my workflow.

Please if anyone knows a way to disable this stupid message please let me know how. Thanks.
I have these macros setup on my mouse and with them I don't really see a disadvantage to the change:

Clip Stop: page up + ctrl /
Clip End: page up + end

Movie Stop: page down + ctrl /
Timeline End: page down + end

Previous Clip: page up + ctrl left
Next Clip: page up + ctrl right

The only thing that confused me was that I couldn't click "Movie" to see what time I'm at in the movie instead of the clip. But now I figured out I can just click on an empty space next to the clip to return to "Movie" mode timestamp.

Hi,
Just realised the example didn't display properly. Comes of doing it late in the evening!!!

I'll redo it for completeness later today when I'm at the desk so it shows properly.

[Edit of original completed]

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator.

Thanks, appriciate it 👍

Hi,
I can't find any way to "user define" the entry of subtitle fonts.

However, if it is important to you, then if you export the .srt file with enhanced Sub-rip info, you can edit the font size to 15 by a find and replace. Here's a simple extract of a test:

00:00:01,668 --> 00:00:05,5
Test sub 1

On re-importing the font size does appear to change to 15. It's easier to see changes with larger font sizes say 36 to 37.

It's a little cumbersome but might suit your needs??

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Hey Thanks PowerDirector Moderator.

Yes that seems like a viable way to do it. Not ideal but at least it'll give me the posibility with some extra steps.

Thanks for your help, appriciate it!!
In the subtitle font size dropdown menu I can only select front size 14, 16, 18 etc...

Only even numbers.

What's up with that, does Powerlink have something agains uneven numbers? Are we not allowed to use even numbers without buying an addon pack?

I'm being sarcastic there of course, but it just seems an unnecessary limiting aspect of the software (just like the very limited render resolutions).

Is there a way to hack Powerdirector into using font size 15 for subs? (it is possible with rrender resolutions) Or is this just a bizarre limitation I have to live with?

Thanks for any help with this in advance.
Quote That sounds like a good way to keep the files in the temp folder long enough to access them while keeping your data usage at a minimum.

I hope you'll follow up with my suggestion to use one of the feedback tools and request the ability to directly transfer projects via USB, and also that CL decides to make that happen.

I'll look into it next time it comes to my mind when I'm working with PD.

What kept me from doing it previously is the unhelpful support replies I've always gotten so far. Gave me the impression that Cyberlink is not using user feedback much for decision making since they didn't seem to care much about the problems I was having... Or rather to me they sound corporate and disconnected. Not like someone understanding and wanting to genuinely help.
Go to: