Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
This seems to be closer to what I'm looking for, but not exactly - one issue prevents me from using this:

- Two of the things I need to slide in are pictures which do not have the Title Designer option, meaning I must use the same Slide Left and Slide Right for them, and given the issue I've described, that means they'll be timed incorrectly whereas the text will be timed correctly. Specifically the green logo and the "UnlimitedJC's" text need to slide in the exact same way at the exact same time. I looked around title designer for a way to attatch pictures to animations, but I don't see it if it exists, which is what I'll need.
I have a really serious problem with PD20 and a project I'm working on needs this solved or an easy alternatve as quickly as possible. My problem is with the "Slide Right" and "Slide Left" transitions under the All Content section.

These two transitions have a pretty major flaw - they're not instant. For example, when I place Slide Right on a clip, that clip should INSTANTLY start sliding to the right at a consistent speed and then reach the end. Instead, well, it'll make more sense if I show you. A good example of what I mean is the project I'm working on right now.

Here's a timestamp to a video's intro (not my project):
https://youtu.be/CZcd-bPQqzo?t=12

Pay close attention to how the text slides into place.

I have 1:1 recreated this style of editing (I'm friends with this content creator and I've volunteered to edit his next video), using the same song, transition start points, transition end points, and everything, and I've used both "Slide Right" and "Slide Left" to accomplish this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4pKXUnPfRc

However, you'll notice one difference in my version - the text transitions, specifically that they're slightly delayed and that it's really fast. I have direct confirmation from him that like my recreation uses the same transition and the same transition length.

This issue is more complicated than just that, and it's much easier to see and explain if the transition is used on a longer clip. In this second example, I use the same Slide Right and Slide Left transitions, but instead make the transitions last 4 whole seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgPQF30RLu8

Nothing appears to be wrong... until you watch this screen recording of me pressing Play in the editor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKAMPCT4I6E

The problem is now abundantly clear - the actual effects visual effects of the transition - the text actually starting to slide to the right or left - only start when the playhead has reached the last 20% of the transition's length.

This is true regardless of the transition's length, which is painfully clear when you look at both of my examples.

In the first example, the lenth of each transition was a half of a second, but the actual effects of the "Slide Right" and "Slide Left" started playing when the transition was 80% over, causing the actual sliding of the text to take a few milliseconds instead of the whole half-second.

In the second example, the length of each transition was 4 seconds, but the actual effects of the "Slide Right" and "Slide Left" started playing when the transition was 80% over, causing the actual sliding of the text to take just under 1 second instead of the whole 4 seconds.

Here's a visual representation of how these are supposed to work:

https://imgur.com/a/Dh4XcvC

But here's a visual representation of they actually work:

https://imgur.com/a/1CI6qVS

Additionally, despite NOT using the ones labelled "Slide Right - Elastic" and "Slide Left - Elastic", these have the added effect of "snapping into place" which is not part of the intended effects. The accurate name for these four transitions are:

Slide Right - Elastic

Slide Right - Slightly Less Elastic

Slide Left - Elastic

Slide Left - Slightly Less Elastic

This fatal flaw makes my edit - and by extension all sliding edits - impossible, and I'd like a solution or a workaround if possible.
60 everywhere. In OBS, in PowerDirector, in video editors, everywhere. I don't think MediaInfo would report 60 FPS if that wasn't the case.
1. CBR has always been an option in OBS:
https://imgur.com/a/tcgurTM

2. If I take the smooth video produced by Resolve and use it in a PowerDirector video, the end result is still very laggy and choppy.

3. I was just saying that you found that Video 2 had 40% less bitrate, but the lower bitrate was not making the video laggy and choppy. That's what I was trying to get across. Only after producing the video does it become laggy and choppy.

Let me try to explain this better, because from your responses I can tell I'm not explaining the problem clearly enough. Let me use a hypothetical example that perfectly describes my issue:

I fire up OBS and record 4 clips. Each of the 4 clips have the same framerate (60) same bitrate (20000kbps) same aspect ratio (16:9) same resolution (2048x1536). All of the 4 clips have no lag, no stuttering, and no audio-video desync.

I open up PowerDirector 20 and import these 4 clips. I put them in the timeline and head to the Produce page. I set the Framerate to 60, the bitrate to 20000kbps, the aspect ratio to 16:9, and the resolution to 2048x1536. I hit Produce and let the video render.

The resulting rendered video has a framerate of 60, a bitrate of 20000kbps, an aspect ratio of 16:9, and a resolution of 2048x1536. However, when viewing this video in any video viewer software (Windows Media Player, VLC Media Player, etc) or any other video editor (DaVinci Resolve, Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas, Shotcut, etc) the video is really laggy, choppy, has an average framerate of 30, and sometimes has an audio-video desync.

This happens with any source clips and any PowerDirector 20 project. Now do you understand my issue?
Additionally, PowerDirector 20 sometimes produces the videos correctly. Ready to have your mind blown? I'm uploading two more MediaInfo files. 1.txt is for a video produced with butter-smooth source clips that turned out laggy. 2.txt is for a video produced with butter-smooth source clips that turned out butter-smooth.
Some things wrong with that assessment:

1. OBS is set to CBR (constant bitrate)

2. Source clips (raw OBS recordings) are butter smooth 60 FPS, videos produced using the same source clips in DaVinci Resolve, Sony Vegas, and even Microsoft Movie Maker come out butter smooth 60 FPS, videos producded in Powerdirector 20 come out extremely laggy and choppy. All video editors in this test use the same exact settings.

3. Reducing the bitrate of the source clips to 40% less does not make them choppy, they're still butter smooth 60 FPS.

4. With the same exact source clips, same exact settings, and same exact version of OBS, PowerDirector 17 produces butter smooth 60 FPS videos. PowerDirector 20 does not.

I fail to see how editing the clips before moving them into PowerDirector would solve anything.
Quote Attach a text file of the MediaInfo output for both files for a little more detail. You can use the online version of MediaInfo if you don't have it installed, https://mediaarea.net/MediaInfoOnline

Jeff

Every single video I put into PD20 does this, regardless of bitrate and other info, but for the purpose of testing, I recorded a short 1440p 60 FPS clip with a bitrate of 29347kbps, set these settings in PD20, and produced the video without making any edits. The resultuing video reports the same resolution and framerate but looks 30 FPS.

Attatched is the two clips' MediaInfo from that website. 1.txt is for the original OBS recording, and 2.txt is for the processed clip using the same settings. 1.mp4 is butter smooth 60 FPS, 2.mp4 is very laggy and 30-FPS-like.

I've also tried exporting using preset profiles for HEVC and MPEG-2, both of them also produce files that report 60 FPS but look 30 FPS. AVI doesn't support custom profiles so I can't test that.

Something else to note is that if I change the presets from Quality Mode to Speed Mode, the videos keep their 60 FPS appearence, however the audio and video become desynced. I never had to make this change using PD17 so this is most likely not the correct solution.
Basically what the title says. Let me give an example. I have an OBS recording with the following codec info (taken from VLC media player):

Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
Type: Video
Video Resolution: 2560x1440
Buffer Dimensions: 2560x1440
Frame Rate: 60
Orientation: Top Left
Color Primaries: ITU-R BT.709
Color Transfer Function: ITU-R BT.709
Color Space: ITU-R BT.709 Range
Chroma Location: Left
Length: 02:53:17
Data Rate: 82254kbps
Total Bitrate: 82443kbps

This recording is perfectly clean, has no lag, never dips below 60 FPS, and has no visual artifacts.

After taking the above recording, putting it into PD20, and producing it, the output video has this codec info:

Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
Type: Video
Video Resolution: 2560x1440
Buffer Dimensions: 2560x1440
Frame Rate: 60
Orientation: Top Left
Color Primaries: ITU-R BT.709
Color Transfer Function: ITU-R BT.709
Color Space: ITU-R BT.709 Range
Chroma Location: Left
Length: 02:53:17
Data Rate: 82254kbps
Total Bitrate: 82443kbps

Despite being 1:1 identical, this video is blurry, choppy, laggy, blocky, and looks like it's 30 FPS.

Every single video - no matter what the original codec info is - always comes out like this. Note that PowerDirector 17 did not do this to any of my recordings.

I've done extremely extensive testing and have 100% confirmed that the problem absolutely is NOT my hardware. Every other video editing software does not do this - the output video comes out just as clean as the original. PowerDirector 20 is 100% the problem here.
PD17 didn't have the red line issue with this same driver. Also yeah, I imported a video and suddently the folder option became available.

One more thing - is there a way to restore the line colors for the "snap to" markers? In PD17 they were blue/yellow/red, but here they're all a dark gray color that can be hard to see.
I wasn't inside a tagged library. It's grayed out in even the default one that all the imported media clips go into.
1. The "Create Folder" option is there, however it's always grayed out for me.

2. The blinking line is quite strange. It's this one:

https://imgur.com/a/LPB1ig5

However, the blinking effect doesn't show up if I record my window and screenshots of this line actually change depending on where the screenshot is oriented on my screen. I've never seen a screenshot change depending on where it is on my computer. It's bizarre.

Also, any reason why file operations were removed? That was very helpful.
I decided to get into PowerDirector 20 after using 17 for the longest time, and I'm having some issues with it, some of which are just things that are different from 17 that may not be able to be changed.

1. PowerDirector 17 had an option that was called something like "Enable Disk Operations" that allowed you to right-click on media in the media room and "Delete From Disk". I don't see this option anywhere in 20 and it's not a default feature.

2. Whenever you're playing your project in the editor, the line flashes between gray and red. How do I prevent it from flashing so it stays one color?

3. How do I add clips to a tag so that they only appear in the media room when I filter by that tag? By default, all imported media will appear in the media room all together. However, I can create tags on the left-hand side which lets me sort them. The problem is that I can't figure out how to add media to those tags so they don't appear all in one pane. I tried removing them from the project, highlighting the tag, then importing them again, but they just default to that one page where all the media gets imported to. How do I add tags to media to seperate them?

4. Has creating folders within the GUI for organizing clips been added yet? If so, then I don't need to worry about Problem 3.

5. Compared to 17, 20's editor feels laggy. There's no input lag, but there's things like screen tearing whenever you scroll through things. Is there a setting to use hardware acceleration for the editor itself?

6. Videos that have been sped-up with the Video Speed tool have a very hard time playing in the editor, often crashing the entire program. This was an issue in 17 as well. OpenCL is enabled and these are my specs:

Intel Core i9-10900K
NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super
64 GB DDR4 Memory
Samsung EVO 2TB SSD

There should be no lag when playing any kind of video in the editor, sped up or not, especially not with my specs. How do I fix this?
Every few launches, a popup will appear with ads and deals. I don't see an option to disable this anywhere, and I don't appreciate ads in the PAID version of this software! How do I disable them? I'm fully prepared to edit the registry or hex-edit files if that's what's required.
Starting earlier today for no apparent reason, PD17 now grays out the hardware acceleration box whenever I try to use a custom profile with the resolution 2048x1536. Nothing changed in the settings or anywhere on my computer, it just decided to start doing this. No other resolution does this, only 2048x1536, and it only started doing this earlier today without warning. I render all my videos in 1440p, so this has effectively killed my YouTube channel until someone can find a fix.
This one should be simple, but from my experiences, PowerDirector is anything but simple.

I just need to set the default aspect ratio for projects and have it not change back after closing the program. I already know of Edit>Aspect Ratio> but I have to change that every single time I make a new project. When I first open it, it defaults to 16:9. How do I change this so it automatically defaults to 4:3? I record in 4:3, I upload to YouTube which supports 4:3, I need this to default to 4:3.

But of course I can't find this setting anywhere.

Ok, maybe a better workaround is to use the OBS Remux process (File>Remux Recordings).

This is documented as just moving the original encoding from an FLV container to an MP4 container with no re-encoding and therefore no quality loss etc.

https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/is-remux-recording-as-same-as-video-format-converter.104911/
https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/how-to-convert-flvs-to-mp4-fast-without-re-encoding.78/
https://medium.com/@tielqt/should-you-be-recording-to-mp4-with-obs-obs-mythbusters-fc8513851170

It's very fast, so worth a go??

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Wow, I remuxed a long .flv video and all the issues I had with it magically disappeared. It seems that the issue isn't bitrate or codecs, just the .flv file extension. It's great that I have this quicker workaround, but the original point of my post still stands. This still needs to be fixed. I should mention that VLC Media Player also has trouble with long .flv videos, so it might just be a quirk of that file extension.
Yes, I am using the same encoder settings as you. I should mention that short videos with these settings lag a lot, but I can work with them. Videos that are longer than 30 minutes cause these issues. Clicking anywhere on the PD window causes the program to instantly crash. Any operation on these videos is too much. Convert it to MP4 and PD has no issues with it, loading it immediately.

For comparison, a 30 minute FLV video causes these issues, while a 5 hour MP4 file has no lag or any issues.

I can't use AVI because - although people say that you can recover a broken AVI file - all my attempts have failed. I'd rather use a format that has a 100% chance of being able to recover.
As the title says, PD17 can't handle lossless videos with the .flv file extension. When you drag them into the timeline, everything seems fine until you do anything. Any action that modifies the video or allows you to view information about the video causes PD17 to hang and stop responding. This happens to any lossless video with the .flv file extension. I have OBS set up to record using the .flv file extension so that the file doesn't get corrupted and unrecoverable if the target application crashes unexpectedly.

There's an annoying workaround to this - put the unedited clip into the timeline, produce it so it becomes MP4, then edit the MP4 instead. Even if it's the same exact bitrate, PD17 can magically handle the MP4 even though only the file extension changed. However, this prevents it from being lossless, ruining the whole point.
Quote I had one get corrupted one time, I do system backups so no real damage.

You can't create new because of damaged file in directory, just rename or move to another location.

Jeff

Yeah, I deleted everything in Profile.ini, recreated all my profiles, and made a copy of the file as a backup. Just to let you know, PoweDirector is the only program I've ever used that's caused a BSoD. I've used hundreds of different programs over the years, not just video editors. I saw my first ever BSoD when using this.
Yes, it's as bad as it sounds.

I was just editing a video like normal, then suddenly I get a BSoD. Note that this isn't the first BSoD that PowerDirector has caused for me, but that's besides the point. When I boot my computer back up, PowerDirector said that I have no custom profiles anymore. I previously had about 20.

So I go to AppData/Roaming/Cyberlink/PowerDirector/17.0/UserConfigure/Profile.ini. The file itself is there and it's the same size, but it's all spaces. Imagine holding down the space bar until it becomes 23 KB in size - that's what it looks like now. The file is attatched for credibility reasons, because I wouldn't believe this if someone told me that.

I spent literal months getting all my custom profiles named and organized exactly how I need them. Now PD17 deleted them all. Is this a known bug? Am I the first person to experience this? This needs a patch pronto, I'd hate to see others experience this.

Windows 10 Pro x64

Intel Core i7-6700K

NVIDIA GTX 1080

16 GB DDR4 RAM

Latest Windows updates, no viruses/rootkits/malware/ransomware/etc, latest drivers for everything. If it wasn't for the fact that no other video editor has one-time payment options, you would've just lost a customer.

Edit: Now it's not letting me add custom profiles. It says none exist, but it refuses to let me add more. Wonderful!
Go to: