Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
All processed videos are laggy and choppy despite 1:1 identical codec settings as original video
[Post New]
Basically what the title says. Let me give an example. I have an OBS recording with the following codec info (taken from VLC media player):

Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
Type: Video
Video Resolution: 2560x1440
Buffer Dimensions: 2560x1440
Frame Rate: 60
Orientation: Top Left
Color Primaries: ITU-R BT.709
Color Transfer Function: ITU-R BT.709
Color Space: ITU-R BT.709 Range
Chroma Location: Left
Length: 02:53:17
Data Rate: 82254kbps
Total Bitrate: 82443kbps

This recording is perfectly clean, has no lag, never dips below 60 FPS, and has no visual artifacts.

After taking the above recording, putting it into PD20, and producing it, the output video has this codec info:

Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
Type: Video
Video Resolution: 2560x1440
Buffer Dimensions: 2560x1440
Frame Rate: 60
Orientation: Top Left
Color Primaries: ITU-R BT.709
Color Transfer Function: ITU-R BT.709
Color Space: ITU-R BT.709 Range
Chroma Location: Left
Length: 02:53:17
Data Rate: 82254kbps
Total Bitrate: 82443kbps

Despite being 1:1 identical, this video is blurry, choppy, laggy, blocky, and looks like it's 30 FPS.

Every single video - no matter what the original codec info is - always comes out like this. Note that PowerDirector 17 did not do this to any of my recordings.

I've done extremely extensive testing and have 100% confirmed that the problem absolutely is NOT my hardware. Every other video editing software does not do this - the output video comes out just as clean as the original. PowerDirector 20 is 100% the problem here.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Attach a text file of the MediaInfo output for both files for a little more detail. You can use the online version of MediaInfo if you don't have it installed, https://mediaarea.net/MediaInfoOnline

Jeff
[Post New]
Quote Attach a text file of the MediaInfo output for both files for a little more detail. You can use the online version of MediaInfo if you don't have it installed, https://mediaarea.net/MediaInfoOnline

Jeff

Every single video I put into PD20 does this, regardless of bitrate and other info, but for the purpose of testing, I recorded a short 1440p 60 FPS clip with a bitrate of 29347kbps, set these settings in PD20, and produced the video without making any edits. The resultuing video reports the same resolution and framerate but looks 30 FPS.

Attatched is the two clips' MediaInfo from that website. 1.txt is for the original OBS recording, and 2.txt is for the processed clip using the same settings. 1.mp4 is butter smooth 60 FPS, 2.mp4 is very laggy and 30-FPS-like.

I've also tried exporting using preset profiles for HEVC and MPEG-2, both of them also produce files that report 60 FPS but look 30 FPS. AVI doesn't support custom profiles so I can't test that.

Something else to note is that if I change the presets from Quality Mode to Speed Mode, the videos keep their 60 FPS appearence, however the audio and video become desynced. I never had to make this change using PD17 so this is most likely not the correct solution.
 Filename
1.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
133 time(s)
 Filename
2.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
140 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 22. 2021 16:31

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Every single video I put into PD20 does this, regardless of bitrate and other info, but for the purpose of testing, I recorded a short 1440p 60 FPS clip with a bitrate of 29347kbps, set these settings in PD20, and produced the video without making any edits. The resultuing video reports the same resolution and framerate but looks 30 FPS.

Attatched is the two clips' MediaInfo from that website. 1.txt is for the original OBS recording, and 2.txt is for the processed clip using the same settings. 1.mp4 is butter smooth 60 FPS, 2.mp4 is very laggy and 30-FPS-like.

I've also tried exporting using preset profiles for HEVC and MPEG-2, both of them also produce files that report 60 FPS but look 30 FPS. AVI doesn't support custom profiles so I can't test that.

Something else to note is that if I change the presets from Quality Mode to Speed Mode, the videos keep their 60 FPS appearence, however the audio and video become desynced. I never had to make this change using PD17 so this is most likely not the correct solution.

Nothing 1:1 identical about these two files.
Overall size is 40% smaller and reflected in the 40% lower video bitrate, that's not too close to 1:1.

Additionally, since the OBS stream has variable fps and highly variable bitrate, I'd probably process this through HandBrake for a better PD editing experience. In HandBrake use a constant fps, use an avg bitrate of your OBS source. Edit this created HandBrake file in PD and see if you get any better results.

Jeff
[Post New]
Some things wrong with that assessment:

1. OBS is set to CBR (constant bitrate)

2. Source clips (raw OBS recordings) are butter smooth 60 FPS, videos produced using the same source clips in DaVinci Resolve, Sony Vegas, and even Microsoft Movie Maker come out butter smooth 60 FPS, videos producded in Powerdirector 20 come out extremely laggy and choppy. All video editors in this test use the same exact settings.

3. Reducing the bitrate of the source clips to 40% less does not make them choppy, they're still butter smooth 60 FPS.

4. With the same exact source clips, same exact settings, and same exact version of OBS, PowerDirector 17 produces butter smooth 60 FPS videos. PowerDirector 20 does not.

I fail to see how editing the clips before moving them into PowerDirector would solve anything.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 22. 2021 17:53

[Post New]
Additionally, PowerDirector 20 sometimes produces the videos correctly. Ready to have your mind blown? I'm uploading two more MediaInfo files. 1.txt is for a video produced with butter-smooth source clips that turned out laggy. 2.txt is for a video produced with butter-smooth source clips that turned out butter-smooth.
 Filename
1.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
130 time(s)
 Filename
2.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
139 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Some things wrong with that assessment:

1. OBS is set to CBR (constant bitrate)

2. Source clips (raw OBS recordings) are butter smooth 60 FPS, videos produced using the same source clips in DaVinci Resolve, Sony Vegas, and even Microsoft Movie Maker come out butter smooth 60 FPS, videos producded in Powerdirector 20 come out extremely laggy and choppy. All video editors in this test use the same exact settings.

3. Reducing the bitrate of the source clips to 40% less does not make them choppy, they're still butter smooth 60 FPS.

4. With the same exact source clips, same exact settings, and same exact version of OBS, PowerDirector 17 produces butter smooth 60 FPS videos. PowerDirector 20 does not.

I fail to see how editing the clips before moving them into PowerDirector would solve anything.

1: From your 1.txt file:
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 28.5 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate : 120 Mb/s
What do you infer is CBR in that? Last I knew and in my OBS Studio version, CBR is not even an option for capture, as is common with most more progressive editing platforms.

2: Don't doubt at all Resolve is smooth. Use that produced file in PD and see how it does.

3: Based on what in PD20?

4: Yep, don't disagree. Your questions is in the PD20 forum and how to get PD20 to work with those files.

And mind not blown with the new posting, those two new files are radically different.

Good luck

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 22. 2021 18:12

[Post New]
1. CBR has always been an option in OBS:
https://imgur.com/a/tcgurTM

2. If I take the smooth video produced by Resolve and use it in a PowerDirector video, the end result is still very laggy and choppy.

3. I was just saying that you found that Video 2 had 40% less bitrate, but the lower bitrate was not making the video laggy and choppy. That's what I was trying to get across. Only after producing the video does it become laggy and choppy.

Let me try to explain this better, because from your responses I can tell I'm not explaining the problem clearly enough. Let me use a hypothetical example that perfectly describes my issue:

I fire up OBS and record 4 clips. Each of the 4 clips have the same framerate (60) same bitrate (20000kbps) same aspect ratio (16:9) same resolution (2048x1536). All of the 4 clips have no lag, no stuttering, and no audio-video desync.

I open up PowerDirector 20 and import these 4 clips. I put them in the timeline and head to the Produce page. I set the Framerate to 60, the bitrate to 20000kbps, the aspect ratio to 16:9, and the resolution to 2048x1536. I hit Produce and let the video render.

The resulting rendered video has a framerate of 60, a bitrate of 20000kbps, an aspect ratio of 16:9, and a resolution of 2048x1536. However, when viewing this video in any video viewer software (Windows Media Player, VLC Media Player, etc) or any other video editor (DaVinci Resolve, Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas, Shotcut, etc) the video is really laggy, choppy, has an average framerate of 30, and sometimes has an audio-video desync.

This happens with any source clips and any PowerDirector 20 project. Now do you understand my issue?
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
My error on OBS, I thought CBR still provided VBR captures. The sample file I just created in OBS with basic 1920x1080 with CBR looks proper:
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 20.0 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 60.000 FPS

Which is nothing like what you claim is CBR in OBS in file 1.txt, not sure why.
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 28.5 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate : 120 Mb/s
Width : 2 048 pixels
Height : 1 536 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 60.000 FPS
Minimum frame rate : 58.824 FPS
Maximum frame rate : 62.500 FPS

Jeff
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Goody - Can U check to see what the frame rate might be set in Preference/General.
[Post New]
60 everywhere. In OBS, in PowerDirector, in video editors, everywhere. I don't think MediaInfo would report 60 FPS if that wasn't the case.