Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
After getting the black screen of death, I searched for a number of days on the web, chasing registry entries, new codacs and re-installing PD12. The problem suddenly occurred after a year or so of editing .mts files with no problem (Source error 2)

Solution.

For some reason the admin rights on my PC have changed. Although my user account has admin rights, when I run PD12 as administrator everything seems to work OK. There is a difference between having admin rights and being an administrator (See Win 7 sites)

This problem has also affected other programs on my PC. Why the programs ran OK for a year until now then decided they need to run as administrator, I do not know.

You can set programs to run as administrator see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff431742.aspx

Hope this hint helps someone

Rgds

Win7 Home
Could be a case of peak server loading. Not sure what part of the world you are.

Not sure where the CL servers are ?

But here in the UK, any time from 16:00 (they let the kids out of school) to late evening can kill the internet in parts of the country.

It may be a matter of just trying irregular times and see if you come up lucky ?

Rgds
I go with COPY everything to a working folder.

Not for the first time have I clicked "Remove from library and disk" in error ;) only to find that was not a wise thing to do.

Rgds
Not sure how you are cutting DVD but A bit of a work around I use for cutting to AVHCD is to use SVRT to show me how much work there is to be done.

I produce a mts file by rendering the project, (Not cutting a DVD) then make a new project aand put that mts file on the time line

Then I cut the DVD without using the save to file option.

When I cut the DVD and render the project as one action, my laptop tends to gently fall over and die.

Rgds
I would not want to disagree with my learned colleague, but I have a much lower spec laptop and manage OK. OK I have to kill the antivirus program, network connections and a few services, but it works. OK Rendering is slow but I let it run overnight and PD10 switches the laptop off when done.

Back to your problem, You write that the PD10 was pre-installed on your machine, I would guess that it maybe a cut-down version or requires re-installing ?

Rgds

Edited to add that I had a number of CyberLink promo products on my HP laptop, and I have taken them all off, mainly because they kept asking for updates, (at a cost) or advising that certain features were not availiable.
Many thanks for your quick reply.

Q1) Just seems strange to me that the scrubber would jump to the beginning of the project, unless I have missed the logic as to why it should need to jump to the start. (Could be me (Got to the age where I have seen the wheel invented many times, and wondering why the younger generation seem to want to make it square )

That said, I had a brief play with Sony Vegas and the opposite seemed to happen. If you did not stop the scrubber it just went on, ... and on ... and on. Then I found the cursor 20 minutes up the timeline after the end of the project. Did not understand that either !

Also thanks for reply to Q2.

I have found a fairly obvious work around. I put the previously rendered M2ts file on the timeline, ran SVRT, and chose (as you suggested) the AVCHD DVD format. 12 minute movie DVD was cut in 4 minutes or so. (Not to be confused with the render time time previously which took a good 4 hours as it contained mov, AVI and jpgs on a flagging laptop)

Thanks for your advice

Rgds

A couple of gripes, I have searched the forums to see if there are answers (Probably are but not with the search criteria I used)

Q1) When editing at the end of a project and the cursor gets to the end of the project, the cursor then jumps to the beginning of the project.

Its a bit irritating, is there any way of stopping the cursor jumping, rather than putting a "dummy end" at the end of the project ?

Q2) I have formed a .mts image file and want to cut it to ACVHD format. Is there an easy way in PD10 ? I cannot seem to find a way to use the image to burn the disc.

I have used Avid Studio before and as in Q1 (above) the cursor stops at the end of the project

and in Q2 (above) Within Avid , I select the .mts image already in a folder, then select burn and away goes the DVD and in within 10 mins I Have a fresh ACVHD disc.

Does PD11 get round these problems ?

Thanks
A couple of "OOps" in my reply above

Task Manager shows processes not services
Taskkill kills the process !

also

Run the bat file "Run as Administrator" (right click bat file for drop down menu and choose Run as Administrator).

Rgds
I have a low spec win7 64bit single core laptop (HP Presario) 4 gig which edits PD10 Just !!

OK it takes few hours to render but I sleep overnight ;

What I do is :
Disable network corrections (wifi & lan)
Stop antivirus and Firewall checking.

use Task manager to list processes for all users

Stop processes with a bat file using a number of dos commands within the file

taskkill /IM "notepad.exe"

taskill /IM "*note*" will stop any process with "note" in the process name.

I have a list of approx 16 killtasks in the bat file and it frees up quite a lot of CPU time and memory.

If you google Dos taskkill and bat files. it will give you info.

Just add services to the list that seem to be useless to the task in hand, if you stop something vital, the PC will fail in some way !

Remove the command from the file. You can google the service name and find out what it does, why and if its needed.

Good luck !

Rgds

Just to add that I view the editing in Normal mode not HQ mode.

edited to rename tasks / services/ processes to correct names
Not up on PD11 but my thoughts are :

Have you had a registry and temp file cleanup ? CCleaner
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Are there hidden temp files that being generated but cannot be over written due to permission changed .

Can you render or re-render an old PD11 file ? or does it happen on only newer imported files ? (New equipment)

Has a Win7 update caused a problem ? Can you roll back the OS or driver updates. Some updates are automatic and you have no way of telling if a manufacturer has issued an update.

Unwanted services OR Antivirus running ? Stop all unwanted services especially those that have delayed starts or decide to scan the Hdrive after a time delay.

Probably everything you have already tried but may be a nugget of gold in the above

rgds
or double right click seems to work in firefox

Rgds

(and then forwarded it to my Kindle)
I am a new user to PD10 so this may not be quite as I explain.

It seems that you can form in Media import mode, folders. If you open a folder Named (whatever you like) , I use date taken, you import into that folder.

Good old memory comes into play, remembering the date, hence the folder ;

I am not sure in PD but in Avid HD, the folders link just a name link to the video clip, so same clip can be many folders but not stored many tmes.

Rgds
Go to: