Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
how to quickly fine clip on the timeline in the media library
Heavytiger [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jun 21, 2008 10:16 Messages: 474 Offline
[Post New]
I often have 100 or more video, audio, and still clips in the media library when working on a project. When in the timeline area I sometimes need to find a clips location in the media library. With some video editors this is done by right clicking on the clip on the timeline and then selecting find clip in media library.
In powerdirector I have to hunt for the clip which sometimes takes a lot of time. Is there a quicker way to find the location of a clip in the media library that is on the timeline?

thanks,

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 04. 2012 11:25

Windows 10 professional
HP Omen Obelisk DT 875-1131
Intel Core i7(3.6GHz)
Eight Core
Memory 32 GB
GPU Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super
Power supply 750 Watt

Using PD 11 ultimate build 11.0.03026

Heavytiger

360Producer [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Big Sky Country Joined: Dec 03, 2012 17:09 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
HeavyTiger -- EXCELLENT QUESTION.

Is anybody listening? Love your country - but fear your government.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I often have 100 or more video, audio, and still clips in the media library when working on a project. When in the timeline area I sometimes need to find a clips location in the media library. With some video editors this is done by left clicking on the clip on the timeline and then selecting find clip in media library.
In powerdirector I have to hunt for the clip which sometimes takes a lot of time. Is there a quicker way to find the location of a clip in the media library that is on the timeline?

thanks,

Hi HeavyTiger,

For me, when I want to find a clip in the Media Library that is currently on the editing timeline, I use the following method.

You can "Sort" the media clips in your library by "Name". I believe this is the default sorting method of Media clips in the Media Room. Hover your mouse over the clip on the timeline you want to find. A Box should then be automatically displayed showing the clip "Name". You should then be able to easily find this clip alphabetically in the Media Room. You could also display your clips as a "List" which would eliminate the thumbnail display for your Media Room clips and make finding the clip you are looking for even easier to find by displaying more clips at a time in the Media Room.

Unless I am not understanding something that I missed in your question, you should be able to find any asset in the Media Room easily even if you had thousands of clips imported there by scrolling and finding the intended clip on the timeline alphabetically, which would be the easiest way to find the clip.

Edit:
I probably should add that you can also narrow down the scope of the amount of clips in your media room by choosing to display only the type that you were looking for. You could choose to only display video clips, sound clips or images in the media room. But I personally don't think this is easier because it requires an additional step to reduce the total amount Of assets displayed in the media room.

This method takes very little time as far as I see. But it is an excellent question!! Who knows maybe an update will come out that will allow you to right click on a clip in the timeline and have you find it in the media room.

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 03. 2012 20:59

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
NonnyM [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 04, 2012 13:40 Messages: 51 Offline
[Post New]
I am a new user to PD10 so this may not be quite as I explain.

It seems that you can form in Media import mode, folders. If you open a folder Named (whatever you like) , I use date taken, you import into that folder.

Good old memory comes into play, remembering the date, hence the folder ;

I am not sure in PD but in Avid HD, the folders link just a name link to the video clip, so same clip can be many folders but not stored many tmes.

Rgds

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 04. 2012 13:51

Win 7 Home SP 1, PD 13
Processor i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), (RAM) 8.00 GB, Sys Drive 120 gig SSD, Data Drive 1 Terrabyte, Nvidia GeForce GTX 750Ii , Portable USB3 2 Terrabyte

Heavytiger [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jun 21, 2008 10:16 Messages: 474 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for your suggestions. There are things I can do to help some. I decided to organize by file type.

thanks Windows 10 professional
HP Omen Obelisk DT 875-1131
Intel Core i7(3.6GHz)
Eight Core
Memory 32 GB
GPU Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super
Power supply 750 Watt

Using PD 11 ultimate build 11.0.03026

Heavytiger