Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I have a DVD creation tool that I can use the complex DVD menus that I can create. For those I usually use my photo editor because it is more versatile. I usually use screen shots from my project and place them in the photo, later with my DVD creation software I can use that part of the image for buttons to navigate.

I often mask out a past to create a "window" that I run a background video in to create the motion like on a real production DVD.

It's a lot of work and I can spent too many hours if I'm not careful.
It worked!

It's a great way to make interesting titles, a bit of graphics and text with an area to give a preview of what's to come.

I've created DVD menus and done some interesting "blue screen" effects with this. I did a desert back ground with 2 characters crawling over a mound of sand. I had a green screen behind the characters and later masked them to reveal the desert pic. I also created "heat waves" with some motion distortion to make it very realistic.

You can get real creative if you want to.
A visual update on my question.

A simple example here. In the below screen shot I have removed one photo from track 1. I have an image below that is of longer duration that I wish to insert in the space on track 1. The options I am given are overwrite & insert.

Overwrite lays the longer clip over the 2 existing clips, timeline length does not change.
Insert lays the longer clip over the 2 existing clips and moves the far right image way over and creates a gap.

Selecting Insert

I do not want to do either of these. I want the end product to look like this.

I had to manually select the 2 images to the right of where I want to insert the longer clip and move them over. Then insert the longer clip and then manually select the 2 images to the right and bring them back.

This is OK for just this example, but if I have an hour of timeline to the right and several hundred images and clips, this is just not practical.

Am I missing something?

Thanks
I have found that for me it is better to not remove/delete the clip that I split, but just bring the opacity down to zero. This way if I change my mind when reviewing the timeline and can see what has been excluded and I can easily up the opacity to see if I still want to leave it as is. Having deleted the section leaves me to extend the clips to see that. As you can see in the screen shot I posted above, I can still see on the track what I have decided to not appear on the finished project. What if I deleted that part of the clip and then someone says "Where is uncle Joe?" I can quickly scan the tracks and find the location and make the changes. It also presents a lessor risk of altering the sync between tracks if that was important.

But everybody uses what they are comfortable with.
What I have done in the past is to not just split and slowmo the the clip, I've split the slowmo clip into a few pieces and progressively slowed each clip progressively more until I get to the section I want the desired effect.

Being a PD newbie I have to ask how I can find out "how much" I have changed the speed of the clip. My previous editor showed a playback rate so that I could see how far off the original I was. This way I could refer to the modified clip properties to get a smooth transition into slow motion.

Update: If you want to use my method to transition into slow motion; Power Tools > Video Speed.
You can slow each of the split slips down a bit more than the preceding one until you get to the desired speed. Tedious I know, but for now that is all I have to offer.
Hi all

I often do very large and complicated projects. Not having used PD for more than an hour or two, I'm not well versed in tips to make my life easier.

Suppose I have a one hour project and 4 tracks with many effects, titles, audio and transitions. Now I discover that at 30 minutes in I need to include a 3 minute clip. I need to create a 3 minute gap to do this.

Question - How do I keep select all this stuff and keep everything synchronized while moving it to the right and back? In my previous editor I just right clicked the first clip to the right of the split and selected "select all", and then slide everything to the right.. Then repeated to slide everything back.

Is their an easy way to do this in PD?

Thanks
I just dropped the fade transition onto the end of the split clip as you can see, no keyframe stuff needed.

Here is a brief clip of a 3 camera shoot that I have done annually for several years. It's posted to my Photobucket so it's not the greatest quality but it demonstrates what the outcome of my style of multi-camera editing looks like.

1:26
Quote: No, just regular 2D video, but fade transitions would mess up the time line synchronization, and don't work from one track to the next I think.

No you won't.

I've spent some time checking it out this morning.

Place and synchronize the tracks, say you are working with 2 for now.

I used the main shot on the top track, usually music/audio as well but you can use any of the other tracks.

Mute the audio on the other track.

Now decide which track you want to start with for video, let's say the top track. Bring the second track's opacity down to zero and now you see the top track's video in the preview window.

When you get to a spot where you want to go to the second track, split the video of the second track. Now bring the opacity back up after the split.

Now when you view from the beginning you will see the video of the first track until it gets to the split, and then it will switch to the second track.

You do not need to remove the cut out sections of the second track, in fact it is better if you leave then in place, just with the opacity brought down.

So you will end up with the top track intact and the second track all split up into pieces with the opacity of selected clips up or down.

If you want to bring in the second or first track with a transition, just drop it onto the second track that will be visible. It won't change the synchronization at all.

Practice with just two tracks at first as it can get fairly confusing to work with many more at first. Just remember it's like you are looking up from below all the tracks. Anything under a visible track is not visible. So when you split and reduce the opacity you are making that track invisible and you see the track above.

See below, the highlighted section of the second track, I have brought the opacity all the way down and only the top track is visible in the preview window. You can see the transitions on the second track, I've placed them on the visible clips.

I'm no expert on PD but I've done a lot of multi-camera editing this way.
Quote: I mean where you have multiple cameras covering the same timeframe and want to switch from one angle to the next. I know you start by synchronizing them so the audio matches up, then mute one of the tracks.

I don't think you can transition from one track to another one can you?

Well here is how I did it with my last editing software.

1) If I have 2 camera angles I load both clips onto the timeline. I place one in the main track #1, I usually chose the one with the best audio. The second clip goes in the one below.
2) I synchronize the sound and video. This can take some doing if you don't have a good sound clue, that's why they use clappers, you can "see" the clap at the start of the clip. When you are done the sound should be synced at the end as well. Now mute the audio on the second clip or you will have an echo. Adjust the audio levels the best you can now.
3) Normally the main track is the one I rely on for most of my footage. You will either toggle off and on the video on the second track to get a feeling for which angle you want. I usually just change the opacity of the second track while I watch the preview to see if I like it. Now drag the scrubber across the timeline and watch the preview. Keep an eye on the second track to see if you want to switch. When you see a place where you want to switch shots, split the video for second track and delete the first part, not deleting the space obviously. When you want to switch back to the main track, split the second track clip again and pull the opacity up and down, Just repeat this as you go.

Image that you are looking up through the tracks from the bottom of your monitor. You will see the clips on the bottom only until their is a gap in it and then you can see up to the next higher track.

The important thing is to not move the pieces of the clips around or you will get all the syncing out of wack.

I've done this method for many years on my other software. I have done several 3 camera shoots and editing afterwards using this method. I don't know if their is a better way of doing this with PD, I haven't had enough time with it yet.

Hope this helps.

I have purchased PD10 a few months ago and only just recently got into it.

I have now into titles and was following a tutorial on titles and when I click Enable 3D depth I get a pop up that tells me to upgrade, Why? and if I follow the link to upgrade it just takes me to the main page for Cyberlink products.

Can someone advise me as to how to go about getting the 3D

Update: I just went into titling and now I don't even have the option to select the Enable 3D depth. What now?

Any help is appreciated, thanks
Go to: