Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Best way to edit multi-camera?
[Post New]
I get to use two video/audio tracks, but how do you toggle back and forth from one camera to the other?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I get to use two video/audio tracks, but how do you toggle back and forth from one camera to the other?

By placing the video of one camera on one track and the video of the other camera on another track.

Position the video where you want them to appear and disappear.

The higher numbered track lay on top of the lower number tracks.

If you have a video on Track 1, video on track 2 will overlay, all you will see is the video in track 2.

Check out tutorials
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/19405.page

http://www.youtube.com/user/CyberLinkChannel/search?query=powerdirector+10

PDToots
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdtoots?feature=mhee

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 25. 2012 21:27

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
I mean where you have multiple cameras covering the same timeframe and want to switch from one angle to the next. I know you start by synchronizing them so the audio matches up, then mute one of the tracks.

I don't think you can transition from one track to another one can you?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bastian -

There have been some good posts in the PD9 & PD10(?) forums covering this. I've tried searching, but can't locate the actual threads just yet.

In this tutorial, you'll see a glimpse of how to do what you want (towards the end)... http://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots?feature=mhee#p/u/21/7Lsn369hlk8 N.B. That was in PD8, but the process is almost the same in PD10.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Grumpy [Avatar]
Member Location: Surrey, BC Joined: Jan 24, 2012 17:35 Messages: 50 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I mean where you have multiple cameras covering the same timeframe and want to switch from one angle to the next. I know you start by synchronizing them so the audio matches up, then mute one of the tracks.

I don't think you can transition from one track to another one can you?

Well here is how I did it with my last editing software.

1) If I have 2 camera angles I load both clips onto the timeline. I place one in the main track #1, I usually chose the one with the best audio. The second clip goes in the one below.
2) I synchronize the sound and video. This can take some doing if you don't have a good sound clue, that's why they use clappers, you can "see" the clap at the start of the clip. When you are done the sound should be synced at the end as well. Now mute the audio on the second clip or you will have an echo. Adjust the audio levels the best you can now.
3) Normally the main track is the one I rely on for most of my footage. You will either toggle off and on the video on the second track to get a feeling for which angle you want. I usually just change the opacity of the second track while I watch the preview to see if I like it. Now drag the scrubber across the timeline and watch the preview. Keep an eye on the second track to see if you want to switch. When you see a place where you want to switch shots, split the video for second track and delete the first part, not deleting the space obviously. When you want to switch back to the main track, split the second track clip again and pull the opacity up and down, Just repeat this as you go.

Image that you are looking up through the tracks from the bottom of your monitor. You will see the clips on the bottom only until their is a gap in it and then you can see up to the next higher track.

The important thing is to not move the pieces of the clips around or you will get all the syncing out of wack.

I've done this method for many years on my other software. I have done several 3 camera shoots and editing afterwards using this method. I don't know if their is a better way of doing this with PD, I haven't had enough time with it yet.

Hope this helps.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 26. 2012 01:06

Richard

PD10, build 10.0.1129b SR VDE111213-07
Windows 7, 64-bit, Intel Quad core 3.3 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Intel on board graphics display (shares the RAM), 931 GB free space
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I think the original poster may be after 3D effect which displays the 3D side by side method supported. Or he is after the blu ray concept of viewing different angles.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
[Post New]
No, just regular 2D video, but fade transitions would mess up the time line synchronization, and don't work from one track to the next I think.
Grumpy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: No, just regular 2D video, but fade transitions would mess up the time line synchronization, and don't work from one track to the next I think.

No you won't.

I've spent some time checking it out this morning.

Place and synchronize the tracks, say you are working with 2 for now.

I used the main shot on the top track, usually music/audio as well but you can use any of the other tracks.

Mute the audio on the other track.

Now decide which track you want to start with for video, let's say the top track. Bring the second track's opacity down to zero and now you see the top track's video in the preview window.

When you get to a spot where you want to go to the second track, split the video of the second track. Now bring the opacity back up after the split.

Now when you view from the beginning you will see the video of the first track until it gets to the split, and then it will switch to the second track.

You do not need to remove the cut out sections of the second track, in fact it is better if you leave then in place, just with the opacity brought down.

So you will end up with the top track intact and the second track all split up into pieces with the opacity of selected clips up or down.

If you want to bring in the second or first track with a transition, just drop it onto the second track that will be visible. It won't change the synchronization at all.

Practice with just two tracks at first as it can get fairly confusing to work with many more at first. Just remember it's like you are looking up from below all the tracks. Anything under a visible track is not visible. So when you split and reduce the opacity you are making that track invisible and you see the track above.

See below, the highlighted section of the second track, I have brought the opacity all the way down and only the top track is visible in the preview window. You can see the transitions on the second track, I've placed them on the visible clips.

I'm no expert on PD but I've done a lot of multi-camera editing this way.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 26. 2012 12:13

Richard

Windows 7, 64-bit, Intel Quad core 3.3 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Intel on board graphics display (shares the RAM), 931 GB free space
[Post New]
I suppose you can use the keyframe/marker things on the opacity to transition them in and out, which simulates a fade effect. Cool.
Grumpy [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just dropped the fade transition onto the end of the split clip as you can see, no keyframe stuff needed.

Here is a brief clip of a 3 camera shoot that I have done annually for several years. It's posted to my Photobucket so it's not the greatest quality but it demonstrates what the outcome of my style of multi-camera editing looks like.

1:26
Richard

Michael8511
Contributor Location: U.S.A. Indiana Joined: Jan 14, 2012 16:12 Messages: 374 Offline
[Post New]
I pick up Power Director a few weeks ago. I take two tracks of video from my motorcyle one from front the other from the back of the motorcycle. I lay the front video on top and the back view below it and toggle from one to the other with the check mark. I split the video say from the back view and remove and leave gap. When I remove video from clips from both I split and remove with out the gap. Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D
My Vimeo Channel http://vimeo.com/user3339631/videos
Grumpy [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have found that for me it is better to not remove/delete the clip that I split, but just bring the opacity down to zero. This way if I change my mind when reviewing the timeline and can see what has been excluded and I can easily up the opacity to see if I still want to leave it as is. Having deleted the section leaves me to extend the clips to see that. As you can see in the screen shot I posted above, I can still see on the track what I have decided to not appear on the finished project. What if I deleted that part of the clip and then someone says "Where is uncle Joe?" I can quickly scan the tracks and find the location and make the changes. It also presents a lessor risk of altering the sync between tracks if that was important.

But everybody uses what they are comfortable with.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 26. 2012 16:17

Richard

Grumpy [Avatar]
[Post New]
An important setting for big projects like a multi-camera edit.

Under Edit > Preferences > Editing, check Link all tracks when inserting/removing content in timeline.

This will prevent all the bits and pieces on your multiple tracks from getting out of sync.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 26. 2012 19:00

Richard

Michael8511
Contributor Location: U.S.A. Indiana Joined: Jan 14, 2012 16:12 Messages: 374 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Grumpy.

Right now I'm doing a lot of learning. I need to get me a air horn to blast for I can line the tracks up that was with big audio spike. Plus I need to start setting hte Gopro cameras to 1080p to cut the wide angle down some. But here is my frist two camera tracks I have done with Power Director 10.

http://vimeo.com/35119634

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 26. 2012 20:27

Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Michael

Great bike video

And editing too Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Grumpy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes it looks good. I love watching videos like that, cruising. Makes me want to get a bike again. Richard

Michael8511
[Post New]
Thanks CubbyHouseFilms and Grumpy. I have 1hour and 20 minutes of video on each track. Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D