Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What is the best method to move multiple tracks to make room for a clip?
Grumpy [Avatar]
Member Location: Surrey, BC Joined: Jan 24, 2012 17:35 Messages: 50 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all

I often do very large and complicated projects. Not having used PD for more than an hour or two, I'm not well versed in tips to make my life easier.

Suppose I have a one hour project and 4 tracks with many effects, titles, audio and transitions. Now I discover that at 30 minutes in I need to include a 3 minute clip. I need to create a 3 minute gap to do this.

Question - How do I keep select all this stuff and keep everything synchronized while moving it to the right and back? In my previous editor I just right clicked the first clip to the right of the split and selected "select all", and then slide everything to the right.. Then repeated to slide everything back.

Is their an easy way to do this in PD?

Thanks Richard

PD10, build 10.0.1129b SR VDE111213-07
Windows 7, 64-bit, Intel Quad core 3.3 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Intel on board graphics display (shares the RAM), 931 GB free space
Grumpy [Avatar]
[Post New]
A visual update on my question.

A simple example here. In the below screen shot I have removed one photo from track 1. I have an image below that is of longer duration that I wish to insert in the space on track 1. The options I am given are overwrite & insert.

Overwrite lays the longer clip over the 2 existing clips, timeline length does not change.
Insert lays the longer clip over the 2 existing clips and moves the far right image way over and creates a gap.

Selecting Insert

I do not want to do either of these. I want the end product to look like this.

I had to manually select the 2 images to the right of where I want to insert the longer clip and move them over. Then insert the longer clip and then manually select the 2 images to the right and bring them back.

This is OK for just this example, but if I have an hour of timeline to the right and several hundred images and clips, this is just not practical.

Am I missing something?

Thanks Richard

Windows 7, 64-bit, Intel Quad core 3.3 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Intel on board graphics display (shares the RAM), 931 GB free space
Grumpy [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, so I made some headway on this issue.

I found that insert works, IF I place the left edge of the new clip next to the right edge of the clip on the track that I want to insert the new clip after. Works fine with no gaps created.

I DO however want to know how to preserve the timing of titles and clips on other tracks when I do this. Richard

Grumpy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Getting to be a long day, but I think I found my answer.

Under Edit > Preferences > Editing, check Link all tracks when inserting/removing content in timeline.

So far with my test project it is working as I would like Richard