Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I'm also looking for a new laptop to use PD 14 with. It does need to be a laptop, as I do a lot of editing on the road. My Alienware M17x has done a good job in the past with PD, for the most part, but it is so heavy and has a battery life of only about an hour and a half (at best.)

So for me the trick is how to get a lighter laptop, with longer battery life, that still does a good job with PD 14. A good SSD added to a large HDD (I use the SSD for the project I'm working on, the large HDD to store clips and projects that I will later work on, moving them to the SSD when using them) is a given, as is 32 G memory. I think most current i5 or i7 processors would be fine?

So the key is what mobile graphics card is needed for PD14?
Thanks for the reply - good to know on the GPU. I asked Cyberlink support if the nVidia 680 gave better or less results than the 7970M from AMD, and all I got was their canned auto-reply.
I'm about to upgrade my old Dell M1710 to a new laptop and this will be my computer for Powerdirector. Most people, when you ask for configuration advice, think of gaming, so I'm asking you guys about which options will optimize for Powerdirector.

1. Memory: will more than 8 Gig matter? Is there an optimal amount that will be used?
2. CPU: I can get the i7-3630QM quad core, or pay an extra $140 and get the i7-3740QM quad core. Does Powerdirector 11 use the CPU enough that increase will make a difference?
3. GPU/Video card: this is the big one. I am able to get either the AMD Radeon HD 7970M or the nVidia GTX 680M. I know the program lists both of these in the program specs, but I assume one must be better than the other in terms of speed of rendering, etc. The 680M is about $300 more, but if it makes a noticeable difference I'm willing to spend it.

Thanks!
Testing it out, PD11, Win 7/64.

CTRL/Spacebar does not seem to work.

Spacebar and Alt/Spacebar seems to work as documented.

OK, seeing a trend - whatever is in here that does the "roll back 5 seconds" is not working. The n jumps to the beginning of the next clip but does not roll back 5 seconds, same for the p key - works but no 5 second rollback.

k, j, l work.

s works. d works but instead of automatically deleting brings up the delete options.

same thing for i and o

Well, uninstalling and re-installing seems to have fixed the problem.

Which is good. because the response I got from Cyberlink on the issue suggested I update my sound and video drivers.
Thanks. Uninstalling and reinstalling - I'll report here if that works (or not) just to add to the data for other users.
Every time I start PD 11 up, it says "Rich Video is not installed" and asks me if I want to install it. I always say yes, but it doesn't ever appear to install.

What do I need to do to install Rich Video?

Thanks.
Actually impressive that they are still actively updating this version. Don't know if that's just good support or if it means PD11 is still a ways off.
Thanks Carl, that's a nice chart.

I guess my key question, though, is how effectively PD10 will use hardware acceleration features built into the cards? Without a doubt the ATI GPU is, by all advance benchmarks, a lot more powerful than the nVidia I'm looking at. But if PD10 uses the CUDA on the 675m and is much faster at, say, rendering than it is with the 7970m from ATI, I'll go with the 675m even though it may be slower on things like games.

Adrian, thanks for the link. That is interesting, as the new Ivy Bridge integrated GPU is considered to be quite good, though nowhere near as powerful as the 675m and 7970m.

I just don't know how well PD10 works with ATI vs. nVidia in terms of their hardware acceleration features.

After using just about every video editing program out there, I thought I'd finally found the best one for me, Vegas. Until I found PD10. Now I don't try every new program out there, and one reason is that the user community is so helpful in getting everything possible out of this program.

So I am turning to you again for help. I am purchasing a new notebook computer and one of the key factors is video editing. In fact, I was about to switch to a Macbook Pro, but no Powerdirector makes that a no way for me (I hate Final Cut Pro X, FWIW.)

As I optimize the new notebook I'll be going with a 750 GB HD with a fairly large SSD, 16 gig of memory, Ivy Bridge quad core CPU, etc. But I am not sure which graphics chip to get.

One choice is the nVidia GTX 675M. Latest and greatest for notebooks, supposed to be very fast and powerful. I assume PD10 would take advantage of CUDA and I'd get a nice boost there.

But the other choice is the new ATI Radeon HD 7970M. Supposed to be a beast, at least 30% faster than the nVidia GTX 675M.

My question: your thoughts on which would be the best choice for the best performance with Powerdirector 10? I realize the 7970M is brand new to the market (not even out until end of May) but perhaps experience with similar ATI chips vs. nVidia chips would be an indicator of the best direction to go?

Thanks very much.
Addendum for illustration: 96% done and it shows that there is 1:41:22 left. Argh
I've used every Pro-sumer video editing program out there, and I have settled on PD10 as my program of choice; it tends to do most things better.

However, one thing that is one of those trivial issues that nonetheless drives me crazy is the inaccuracy of the "time left" estimate when burning a DVD. It seems to always display FAR more time left than is actually required. A typical example: as I am typing this, I am authoring and burning a DVD. About 4600 MB of movie. It has been authoring for about an hour (yeah, time for a new notebook!) and it is 71% done. Yet the time left being displayed is 1:51:57. I know that it will only take about 20-30 minutes more to author the movie, then a very short time to burn it. This time estimate has absolutely no basis in any kind of reality. It also displayed the time left, when I looked about 40 minutes ago, as about 1:49:33.

Is the algorithm that the program uses for this just completely broken?
That is perfect, and opens up a feature set I did not know how to use!

Thanks very much for taking the time to help.
I have some videos I am putting together for which I need to be able to blur some commercial signs in the background. Basically, on the walls of the room where this event took place there were some signs with ads for a commercial web site that my friends (for whom I am putting together the video) don't want in the background of their video record of the event.

My expertise has been more photos than videos - in Photoshop I'd simply apply a blur so it softened out and was not readable but wasn't as obvious as a big black box. I'm not sure how to do this type of thing in PD 10. I'm sure that if I fumble around I'll do it in the least effective and most time consuming way possible!

Thanks
Thanks very much for taking the time to help!
Does this program work in PD10?

Thanks!
Moved to Powerdirector after years with Sony Vegas Platinum (and have used just about every pro-sumer editing program out there.) One thing I cannot find in PD10 is a hot key for splitting a video on the time line. In most programs this is T or Ctrl-T or S or Ctrl-S. I know there is a button, but surely there is a hotkey?

Thanks
That is EXACTLY what I needed to do! Thanks, I KNEW there must be a way to do this, but my searching in the help file didn't unearth this. Thanks very, very much!
I have an overlay I want to use on my videos. It is simply a jpg image file. However, since the movie is set to 16:9 dimensions, I cannot drag the corners, etc. of this image to make it the size I want within the video, which changes per video. So, to clarify, I may want to stretch it and make it less tall and wider, but I can't do that as the program keeps it at 16:9.

I tried ctr-dragging, shift-dragging, etc.

Help!!
Go to: