Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote: Haha, Vegas... That's a piece of software not updated fully from 2010. It will work perfectly with video cards from 2010, but has no clue what to do with newer cards.

Well, apparently PD 14 has no idea what to do with our nVidia cards, and it is a 2015 program.

I tried the fix and then worked to revert back; I also got frequent crashes, etc.

Again - PD13 worked, PD12 worked, PD11 worked. nVidia didn't change anything, CL broke it with PD14.
Thanks for getting something from them. Their tech support asked me for some data, I gave it to them, and then they abandoned me - not even a reply after I gave them the data they asked for.

So basically if I change these files, I lose the ability to use the preview window if I choose to use the hardware decoding? That sounds like it's pretty crippling if they're saying what I think they are.

And I really, really dispute what they are saying that it is the fault of nVidia. And nothing they can do on their side. Because this same hardware and software from nVidia has worked well with PD10, 11, 12, and 13. The problem only occurred when I updated to 14, i.e. the only thing that broke this was something they did between 13 and 14.

Not trying to shoot the messenger!
Quote: k.

DocDaddy,

xr650lou,

Charles,

Vlad,

Kees54,

and others...

try driver version 347.25 and DO NOT INSTALL GeForce experience!

and a CLEAN install.

if it doesn't work then as you were.

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

I'll try that, though I'm puzzled why a driver that is a year old and quite a bit out of date would be required for PD 14 to utilize the cards when PD 13 can utilize the cards with no problem with current drivers. Also, I know CL posted that people needed an old driver for pre-Kepler nVidia cards, but all of the cars in question are Kepler (and more current Maxwell) generation.
Quote: Hi DocDaddy ,
Could you let me have your Support Ticket ID please. I'll ask CyberLink Head Office to chase up the issue and look into the response you've received, maybe something else can be done!
Dafydd

Thanks. CS001559200

I've been doing a lot of googling and researching and the problem seems pretty widespread, including on these forums; people using nVidia cards that are very up to date (as in, Kepler and beyond architectures.)
Quote: Jan den Hollander, hoewel ik het voor een deel met je eens bent zal ik het op jouw wijze niet verwoorden.

All other users, i have a laptop now 2 years old with a Nvidia 610M card with 2GB memmory for its own. All other programs i can puss to use the Nvidia grafics instead of the integrated Intel HD grafics 3000. Even an other resent videoediting program uses the Nvidia grafics without any problems.

I do not understand why Cyberlink Powedirector refuses to use the Nvidia and this seems to be blocked by the programmers.

The Nvidia is far much better than the integrated Intel HD why not use this????? I do hope they change their opinion soon.

Regards and a happy and healthy new year to all, Kees

And from their specs and advertising on their web site:

"Optimized for modern CPU and GPGPU hardware platforms from Intel, AMD
and NVIDIA, TrueVelocity maximizes memory allocation and usage, while
reducing latency through feature optimization. The improved system
efficiency enables HD footage to preview more smoothly and render
faster.

(Supported video cards)

GeForce 8500GT/9800GT and above
GeForce GT/GTS/GTX 200/400/500/600/700/800/900 Series

The utilization of our video cards is a key piece of their advertising. Even though they've told me they reproduce the lack of utilization of various video cards on that list, on their various systems. But their response is "Send us your dxdiag" and "You should tell nVidia to fix the problem."
Quote:
Quote: Well, I got a response from Cyberlink. They said we can reproduce that problem here on several platforms. You should contact nVidia, because that sounds like a problem on their side.

So - my card works with everything else, worked with PD12, PD13, and will not work with PD14 (same card, same drivers that work with PD 13) and that's an nVidia problem???

Ask CL what version of driver is still WORKING with their software. Install the drivers from your latop manufacturer site. If none of the above is working, then it is a CL problem.

In my oppinion, I always said that a laptop is bad choice for a video editor machine. I know that is convenient and all that, but price-performance ratio is really bad. And the issues like this (colaboration between integrated and dedicated video, Optimus support) are more likely to happen since the video cards on laptps can be different from standard implementation.

They have no idea. Since it is a Kepler gen card, they say it should work. And it did until they changed something in PD 14. They also said they have reproduced it on several platforms, most of them desktop, so it has nothing to do with it being a laptop (it worked on this maching with PD 11 through PD 13 and they see the problem with other nVidia cards on their own desktop systems.)

So if they admit there's a problem, they tell me they've reproduced this problem themselves on several of their systems, and it only showed up in the change from PD 13 to PD 14 - it's a CL problem. Well- its my problem, since they have my money.
Tomasc, I hear ya, but in this case all the previous versions worked fine with the cards (and others with other nVidia cards are reporting this too) but they did something with PD14 that broke it. I'd just like someone at Cyberlink (who acknowledged the issue and that they had reproduced it "on several platforms" but claimed I should have nVidia fix it) to figure out what they changed between PD13 and PD14 and create a patch to correct the bug.
Jan, let's not make this thread a personal attack thread, K? You both said your piece and as the OP I don't want people to stop reading the thread (which they will if this becomes a back and forth ad hominem thread.)
Well, what's frustrating is that they agreed and said they could reproduce the problem on several platforms. But even though it works fine in PD13 - same card, same drivers, same everything - and PD14 will not recognize the card, it's somehow nVidia's fault.

I replied to the tech support reply (I think it is someone offshore with a tree diagram that tells them how to reply) with the above - PD13 worked fine, upgraded, PD14 doesn't recognize the card, thus something is changed in PD14, not the nVidia drivers - the reply was send us your dxdiag, take a photo of the problem and send it to us. Uh - you already said you can reproduce the problem! If you can reproduce it on your own machines ("we can reproduce this problem on several platforms") why do you need my dxfiag and a photo of the problem???

I think they need to remove their claims that these cards are recognized and supported on the PD14 website - that is not true.
Well, I got a response from Cyberlink. They said we can reproduce that problem here on several platforms. You should contact nVidia, because that sounds like a problem on their side.

So - my card works with everything else, worked with PD12, PD13, and will not work with PD14 (same card, same drivers that work with PD 13) and that's an nVidia problem???
I did submit a ticket. The specs for PD 14 says you only need the old drivers for pre-Kepler cards - the GTX 680m is Kepler architecture.
Well, according to Cyberlink, it SHOULD utilize the GTX 960m since it uses the Maxwell architecture.

Actually, looking at Cyberlink's own specs, it is SUPPOSED to support my card also. The GTX 680m used Kepler architecture. From the PD 14 specs:

"PLEASE NOTE: For users of NVIDIA cards using pre-Kepler
architecture who have updated to graphics driver 340.43 or later, the
CUDA video hardware video encoder feature in PowerDirector is no longer
available. To re-enable hardware acceleration, please download and
install an earlier driver. "

Well, my GTX 680M uses Kepler architecture. So according to the spec page advertising PD 14, I shouldn't need to use old drivers, it explicitly says in the cards supported that my card is supported.

But it isn't.
Barry, that's a good question, and the answer is IDK. I just know that out of date drivers are often the source of a myriad of problems, so I have always tried to keep them up to date.
BTW, Dafydd B, I don't mean to sound like that guy that asks for help, then when someone offers it spits in their face! I hate it when someone does that! Email/posts stink for "tone" so sorry if I am coming across like that, I understand anyone who comes on here and posts help is taking time to help a stanger, so thank you.
BTW, it looks like Cyberlink made changes indeed to prevent PD 14 from using older nVidia cards. From the CL page on PD 14:

"PLEASE NOTE: For users of NVIDIA cards using pre-Kepler architecture who have updated to graphics driver 340.43 or later, the CUDA video hardware video encoder feature in PowerDirector is no longer available. To re-enable hardware acceleration, please download and install an earlier driver."

Does PD 14 not use a faster GPU for anything other other than encoding? That sucks for encoding, and I'm not willing to have to use a May 14th 2014 driver for everything on my computer (and never update it) but I'm curious just how much of a downgrade I now have in other operations also.
I didn't attach my DX Diag because I didn't think it was relevant but I will in this post. (I'm an IT Director, which is not to say I know it all, obviously I'm here asking for help!)

To lay out the logic of what's going on: the nVidia card works just fine with other programs that can use an accelerated GPU. PD 13 works just fine with the nVidia card (I was using it last week until I "upgraded" to PD14.) The nVidia drivers didn't change, the only thing on my system that changed was PD13 to PD14. I did a search on the forums, I just really don't want to roll my video drivers back to drivers that are over 18 months old and keep them there to use PD14. Oh, also I did uninstall Geforce Experience (just to be thorough) even though I was pretty sure with the data I have that wasn't the problem, and indeed, that made no difference.Again - every other program that can use acclerated nVidia graphics continues to be able to utilize the card, including Power Director 13. Power Director 14 will not. Other people here with other systems are reporting the same thing.

It appears they did something with PD14 to prevent it from being able to use my nVidia card. The other question is, how much slower will PD14 be in editing, rendering, creating the final product, using the Intel HD 4000 card?Attached is my dxdiag. Thanks.
OK, thank, I'm glad it's not just my setup! So, does anyone know how to correct this, but also, how much slower will PD14 be using my integreated Intel HD4000?
The nVidia drivers are newly updated, 361.43 - they are the same as what I was using earlier this afternoon when I was running PD13, using the nVidia processor.
Alienware M17x R4, with integrated Intell graphics (HD 4400) and an nVidia GPU (GTX 680M.) Even though the laptop is a few years old, it's done a decent job with all previous versions of PD I've used (10, 11, 12, 13, and now 14.)

However - with PD13 I could go into the nVidia Control Panel and select High Performance nVidia Proecessor as the default for PD. Now, with PD14, it will not allow me to change the default away from the integrated graphics. Even worse, if I right click on the PD14 exe file and select run with High Performance nVidia Processor, it still refuses to and runs with the integrated Intel graphics anyway.

Any help on this? (Other than get a new computer? Sorry, kinda low on the cash front right now so that's not an option!)

Thanks
Just purchased the upgrade from PD 13 to PD14 - can I uninstall PD 13 after I do the install of PD 14 or will that delete needed/wanted files? I.e. is the upgrade actually a standalone install?
I'm also looking for a new laptop to use PD 14 with. It does need to be a laptop, as I do a lot of editing on the road. My Alienware M17x has done a good job in the past with PD, for the most part, but it is so heavy and has a battery life of only about an hour and a half (at best.)

So for me the trick is how to get a lighter laptop, with longer battery life, that still does a good job with PD 14. A good SSD added to a large HDD (I use the SSD for the project I'm working on, the large HDD to store clips and projects that I will later work on, moving them to the SSD when using them) is a given, as is 32 G memory. I think most current i5 or i7 processors would be fine?

So the key is what mobile graphics card is needed for PD14?
Go to: