Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Need your advice on which of two GPUs to purchase for new notebook for use with PD10
DocDaddy [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 06, 2012 13:59 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
After using just about every video editing program out there, I thought I'd finally found the best one for me, Vegas. Until I found PD10. Now I don't try every new program out there, and one reason is that the user community is so helpful in getting everything possible out of this program.

So I am turning to you again for help. I am purchasing a new notebook computer and one of the key factors is video editing. In fact, I was about to switch to a Macbook Pro, but no Powerdirector makes that a no way for me (I hate Final Cut Pro X, FWIW.)

As I optimize the new notebook I'll be going with a 750 GB HD with a fairly large SSD, 16 gig of memory, Ivy Bridge quad core CPU, etc. But I am not sure which graphics chip to get.

One choice is the nVidia GTX 675M. Latest and greatest for notebooks, supposed to be very fast and powerful. I assume PD10 would take advantage of CUDA and I'd get a nice boost there.

But the other choice is the new ATI Radeon HD 7970M. Supposed to be a beast, at least 30% faster than the nVidia GTX 675M.

My question: your thoughts on which would be the best choice for the best performance with Powerdirector 10? I realize the 7970M is brand new to the market (not even out until end of May) but perhaps experience with similar ATI chips vs. nVidia chips would be an indicator of the best direction to go?

Thanks very much.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Not an exact answer to your question and you may already have seen this but if not - just additional information to ponder on.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/22732.page

Cheers
Adrian
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
You can compare video cards at this benchmark site. And CPUs.

This is the search page.
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

You might look at the High End Cards. There is a list there.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

DocDaddy [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 06, 2012 13:59 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Carl, that's a nice chart.

I guess my key question, though, is how effectively PD10 will use hardware acceleration features built into the cards? Without a doubt the ATI GPU is, by all advance benchmarks, a lot more powerful than the nVidia I'm looking at. But if PD10 uses the CUDA on the 675m and is much faster at, say, rendering than it is with the 7970m from ATI, I'll go with the 675m even though it may be slower on things like games.

Adrian, thanks for the link. That is interesting, as the new Ivy Bridge integrated GPU is considered to be quite good, though nowhere near as powerful as the 675m and 7970m.

I just don't know how well PD10 works with ATI vs. nVidia in terms of their hardware acceleration features.