Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Sometimes when I'm using different USB connections on my PC the external drive which I then plug in is given a different drive-name to what it was previously, depending on what else is also connected, such as D, E, F and sometimes even G drive, so could this be the cause ?

After previously having problems such as yours, all my files associated with the edit are transferred to the same folder on my main drive, including audio files and the saved project files themselves.

Only when the project has bee produced do I put the audio files back in their original folder, and move the Camcorder files to my external drive . . . and touch wood, I haven't had any problems since
Quote: . . . can you point me in the right direction of how to do that?

Here's where mine is located, outlined in red on this image, but obviously not in the program :

Quote: There must be a chart somewhere showing basic sizes of things..Under the PRODUCE menu, the different formats are shown, but it would be so helpful if the produced size was shown for each format before you make your choice.

That would be great . . . like Photoshop does . . . but I've made a 10 second video, and saved in fifteen different formats, so I can quickly check files size versus quality. Sometimes video quality isn't to important to me but sound is, so I pick an appropriate file format to what I want to illustrate.

Doing it that way is also a good learning experience :
Well, thank-you guys . . . that seems to have done the trick . . . doing in Audacity was so much more precise

However, I put it all in PD8, did a few simple trims, checked it along the time-lines . . . absolutely perfect sync, then went to trim it a little more and PD8 froze on me . . . again, even before I had the chance to save . . . guess I was so thrilled about mastering the sync, I simply forgot.

But it's no big deal, I'll start afresh in the morning, now the hard work has been done in Audacity.

Time to get the old head down now in the UK, ready for an early start tomorrow

Nighty-night and thanks again !!!!
I have a video of a singer / guitarist playing in an echo-y room. I have been supplied with a separate MP3 audio recorded via the mixing desk, which is better quality.

I wish to use both audio-tracks mixed to give a nice overall sound.

I've separated the original camcorder audio track so it sits below in its own time-line, and added the mixing-desk audio into another track. I've been trying to trim the mixing-desk audio so it synchs perfectly with the camcorder audio, and I'm nearly there.

Problem . . . I cannot cut out a 'single' audio frame, as I near the synchronisation point, as for some reason PD8 won't do a cut unless you select at least 'three' audio frames, which messes with my mind, and makes it impossible to synch properly, and although it's out at the beginning it seem to match up about a minute-and-half into the video . . . very strange !!

Does anyone know if the bitrate of the MP3 has any bearing on this ?
Would a WAV file be more stable ?
And / or if there really is way to do it, that my tiny mind hasn't yet discovered ?
I have search the forums relentlessly but can't find the answer !!

Thanks
Quote: I have a video of a someone talking and i want to do a subtitle in Spanish. I need it to translate it for me. Can it do that. or do i need to learn Spanish to do that.

Just use Google Translate -> www.translate.google.com

You might want to get a Spanish-speaking person to check it for you though, as sometimes the "Translate" programs don't quite get it right.
From -> http://www.reluctant-diyer.co.uk/panasonic_nv-gs27_camcorder_review.php

The NV-GS27 is Panasonic's entry level digital camcorder and can't be connected by its USB socket to a PC for editing

Looks like you're gonna need to find a different way to transfer Mini-DV to PC

. . . . and a search for Canon UC-X50 review only seems to bring up results in reference to batteries

Is it that ancient a camcorder ?
There's masses of "free" music on the 'net . . . just do a search

If you're planning to upload to YouTube, there's something there referred to as "Audio-Swap" where you can replace your own backing track with one (of thousands) of their "Free" tracks . . . very handy
MTS files can be imported straight into PD8, so why bother to convert them

Conversion generally means a loss of quality

Just try a short section and see how it goes . . . you'll learn something that way
It would seem that no-one has answered your question, as it appears that it's nothing to do with your installation of PD8.

I hate to see questions go unanswered though, so would suggest that you check to see if your camcorder has a CD in the pack, which may be required to install on your PC for it to recognise the camera
I've added some more information to my first message :
Which is ahead . . audio or video ?

By how many seconds, or how many frames ?

Is it a constant difference ?

Are you able to "lose" any of the video or audio at the beginning, or is it all important ?

If the audio is ahead by a little amount, you could "lock" the audio track, and either add a few frames to the beginning of the video track, or slow down the first few frames of the video track, which will make that part longer to catch up with the audio, or vice versa.

Sometimes you just experiment and see how looks

I hope the "English" was easily understood
Assuming you have the long scene in the timeline, in the standard "Edit" mode, (not "Trim" mode). just locate the start point of the blacked-out section and click "Split", then locate the out-point and click "Split", then highlight the section between the two points and hit "delete".
You don't need the "Trim" menu . . . just do it in the normal edit process
If I want to remove scenes I simply mark the in and out points, then highlight that section on the timeline, then hit the delete key on my keyboard.

If you have other tracks such as a background music track, make sure that track is locked before doing the delete, by clicking on the 'padlock' icon to the locked setting.
When you use the Brightness and Contrast controls n PD8, just nudge the Brightness just-a-little first then the Contrast and see how it looks by previewing. If it's still too dark try again, and maybe back-off one or other.

When you are reasonably happy with the result make sure you click "Apply to all" if the whole video needs lightening, otherwise only the one clip will be improved.

If your attempts so far have "whited out" your video you are moving the sliders too far
Quote: I give 5 stars to you Carl - spot on with the solution.

Trevor, good follow up post. Out of curiosity, what's the spec of your laptop?

Yep . . . that was timely Carl. It got me out of a very tight spot.

Spec of Laptop is shown here -> http://www.laptop-pc.org.uk/acer-aspire-series-laptop/acer-aspire-8935g744g50bn-laptop

Is that enough info

. . and here's the video I was having a hard time with -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dODqcnuY088
Life is good . . . my dear wife told me to carry on and produce, (in a nice way), so I simply found an even older backup and photographed the in-out edit points of the first missing section with my trusty little digital camera.

Then I went back to the project saved which had 3 of the missing edits there, and carefully re-edited the first "black" section, by looking at the images on the screen of my digi-camera and precisely setting the edit points. In fact that first black section comprised 3 separate short edits, at different speeds . . . no wonder PD8 didn't like it. It's now a 1/3rd of the way through "Producing" so fingers crossed, and will hopefully be on YouTube tomorrow.
Thanks so much for this info Carl . . . as I've just found a backup file that has only one of those clips as black, (the first one), so I will use that and look at the detail in an earlier backup to see what exacly how the very first one was produced which is still missing.

I shall sleep well tonight now (UK time 8.30pm) knowing that I can fix it tomorrow morning, as I must go and chat to my dear wife now, as spending so long staring at this screen.

Thank you again . . . . . . . . . .
Ok, I check that out . . . Thanks

Edit 1 . . 5 mins later . . . Found the backup files . . now to see what happens . . . thanks for the heads-up
I've just deleted all the shadow files, but those 4 clips still don't show, just a 0,0,0 and the duration showing, then I shut down.

I restarted and enabled shadow files, and re-opened the project, and have noticed all the shadow files have been reproduced with the exception of those 4 with the slo-mo or reverse edits which are not appearing in the list of shadow files, and the thumbnail still shows "shadow file generating" . . . maybe if I leave the Laptop on all night
Go to: